Stupid Question - Controlling Fan Speeds

Mobile phones, PDAs, desktops, peripherals or anything else which doesn't fit in the laptop category
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby se99paj » 24 Jan 2019, 10:46

So this feels like a newbie question that I should probably know the answer to, but trying to find options seems to be a challenge.

I've moved my PC to a Bitfenix Phenom chassis, this gives me quite a few more options regarding the fans I can use, in my old case I had one rear fan that I powered from the PSU so was always on.

My motherboard has 2 fan pins (CPU & Chassis) - The Chassis is 4 pin so I'm assuming its supports PWM.

I was thinking of using a 230mm fan on the bottom, 1 on the rear and 1/2 on the top - So 3-4 fans in total, but run them at a low speed to keep noise down but air moving.

First question, is that too many fans, maybe I should start with less and just add more if I'm not happy.

Secondly what's the best approach to controlling the fans, I can get 120/140mm fans that are PWM, but haven't found a 230mm PWM fan. Is there anyway to mix and match PWM fans with non-PWM fans?

I've seen you can use splitters to control multiple fans with a single fan pin, but you'd need all fans to be PWN or voltage controlled.
I've also seen PWM fan hubs, I wasn't sure if they could mix and match.
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby se99paj » 24 Jan 2019, 15:08

So did a bit more research on this, think I might be wrong on the motherboard pins.

The full manual is here: https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com ... RUcuSS.pdf

CPU_FAN - Has CPU FAN PWN
CHA_FAN - Has VCC

So I'm assuming this means the chassis fan doesn't support PWN.

So my current thoughts are:
1.) Plug in all the fans to CHA_FAN using 3 splitters, just let the motherboard control the speed. CPU cooler only on the CPU_FAN.
2.) Plug in top and bottom fans to CHA_FAN using splitters, then use CPU_FAN for CPU Cooler and rear (I'll buy a 140mm PWM rear fan) - That way the rear fan will be controlled by CPU temperature.

I guess it doesn't matter too much as I'm still buying all the same parts, just plugging them in differently.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 25 Jan 2019, 00:48

Nice to hear from you again! Hopefully someone can answer this for you! But I just wanted to say hello!
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 Jan 2019, 03:16

Nothing about your questions are stupid or 'newbie', good to see you on the forum. I'm very rusty on this as my desktop beastie is ticking onto an archaic seven years old which is a scary indication of how little progress there is these days but at the same time it's good not to need constant upgrades to keep up.

I guess the first question is what are you running in the chassis in terms of CPU, ram, HDD's, GPU's etc.? I think 3-4 fans does sound like a lot if you're not running any particularly hot hardware so I'd be inclined to start with one decent intake and exhaust fan then go from there.

I thought the same as you about your chassis fan connector, as it's four pins I thought it must be PWM and then when I read the manual as you said it's different and it doesn't support Asus Fan Xpert (only the CPU_fan header does). However on digging a bit further it looks like that header can support either PWM or Voltage control which is selectable in the bios so I'd have a look there and see what options you have.

For a simple splitter I can't see how you could mix PWM and VCC fans as it's simply splitting the original commands to the different fans. I'd keep the CPU fan only on the CPU header and the chassis fans on the cha header as I wouldn't want to risk any problems with the CPU fan, you can cope with failures or disruption on the chassis fans but you don't want any such issues affecting your CPU fan.
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
se99paj
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby se99paj » 25 Jan 2019, 10:41

EviL Ras wrote:Source of the post Nice to hear from you again! Hopefully someone can answer this for you! But I just wanted to say hello!

Thanks EviL Ras - I like to pop in now and again, always know the TechPond is a safe place where I can ask stupid questions and get serious answers :D

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the postI guess the first question is what are you running in the chassis in terms of CPU, ram, HDD's, GPU's etc.? I think 3-4 fans does sound like a lot if you're not running any particularly hot hardware so I'd be inclined to start with one decent intake and exhaust fan then go from there.

Hi John - In the chassis I have:
CPU i5-4440
RAM 1 x 8GB
GPU Asus Geforce GTX 1060 Dual OC
1 x SSD
1 x HDD

I'll take a look in the BIOS - Also think you're right about the CPU fan, should leave just for CPU.

Think I should probably start small and then build up, for all I know one fan on its own is going to be really quiet and keep the temperature down
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 Jan 2019, 19:49

For hardware like that I definitely think having a lot of fans is massive overkill as none of it runs superhot so the heat shouldn't be too bad in your case. I'm running much hotter hardware and only have a few small fans and one proper exhaust fan which seems to work fine and mostly quiet.
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Feb 2019, 18:18

Have you had a go at this yet at all? I was on one of my PC's with a load of tabs on fans and cooling so was thinking I should ask.

Return to “Other Technology”