How to analyse blue screens of death

Guides and useful links
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 09 Dec 2017, 00:46

I'm not sure if people ever need to do this but I found this page which does a simple job explaining how to install the debug tools needed to analyse the cause of a blue screen of death:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... rash-Dump/

When the PC crashes with a blue screen of death it generates a dump file which contains information about the core state of the system when it crashed and can be used to determine what caused the BSOD in the first place. In general I find there's two possible incomes, either it will point to a single driver consistently (often a graphics card drive or another peripheral) or it will point to a core windows driver, it may point to a different windows driver on successive BSOD's. In the first case then it's possible a fault with that specific hardware or its driver while the latter is usually indicative of a bigger problem but can be more difficult to resolve. The specific driver crashes will tend to happen more predictably such as carrying out a certain action whereas the latter will often be random with no obvious pattern and often more frequent.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
csteff
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby csteff » 11 Jan 2018, 20:51

thanks
I just reinstall win but recently I did 6 reinstalls and in the end I have no idea what the issue was (a dell I was sending to a client)
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Jan 2018, 18:47

Amusingly I wrote this for a Latitude 11 I have which was blue screening occasionally during full screen video playback which I decided to get around to fixing, the analysis pointed to the graphics card driver so I made sure the drivers were up to date, the bios was up to date etc. and made the problem far worse with it BSODing every five minutes during playback.

I also gave up and reinstalled it, since then it's working fine so must have been an issue with the original install or something gone wrong.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire

Return to “Useful Info”