What TV series have you watched?

Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Dec 2017, 03:04

Wow, what a finish to Robot Wars with a lot of great battles and decent final.

Spoiler:
I wouldn't have minded who won in the end but I was very pleased to see Eruption win particularly after surviving the ten way battle which I thought would be a bitter sweet victory since they'd probably be wrecked for fighting other robots. Carbide's weapon was apparently not working properly and that was the clutch that was smoking, when it started spinning again it wasn't getting up to full speed which sounds believable as it didn't seem to be whacking Eruption quite as hard as it had been before. It wasn't shown on TV but on one of the previous battles Carbide's spinner wouldn't shut down so they pinned the robot down with Sir Killalot and pulled the kill pin (according to the reddit), I wouldn't fancy being in that arena at all when that blade was spinning.

That was an impressive shot from Nuts 2 which was just as they said that their robot could hit others at odd points which were potentially vulnerable, it was no surprise when a spinner got close to it that Nuts 2 was immediately crippled. Rapid and Magnetar were apparently not the assholes they looked like on TV although even then, I thought Rapid performed poorly given how much they boasted about the money spent - the flipper didn't seem to work well and the armour was worthless with Carbide easily ripping it straight off. Still, that was an extremely impressive exit,
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 05 Dec 2017, 06:29

That was the best Robot Wars I have ever seen. I am glad at the eventual winner too.
Y.N.W.A.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 05 Dec 2017, 15:08

Best episode ever! They need to commission another season!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 09 Dec 2017, 22:20

I agree on it being the best episode there's been as all the battles were good and even those that didn't end in a knockout were still pretty impressive. I was concerned after last series that it would be spinners dominating as the decent flippers all seemed to struggle against the spinners but if anything, the flippers seemed to be doing better this year. With better armour the flippers were taking the hits better which then in turn seemed to highlight a flaw in the spinners as some of the higher powered ones seem designed to inflict a lot of damage very quickly and not need to last a full round.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 11 Dec 2017, 15:02

Spent the last two weeks struggling my way through Punisher. Bloody hell its slow to move along. Got very fed up listening to the whining computer guy and just wanted to punch him in the face.
Its interesting how Billy Russo manages to squeeze of all manner of head shots off with his pistol but then turns into a member of 'The A-Team' when it comes to the central characters.

Getting increasingly fed up of the drivel being spouted out by Marvel et al.

I have been putting off watching series 3 of Mr Robot at the moment as well.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Dec 2017, 01:45

I can't disagree with that about the Punisher as looking back I think it did miss its mark.
Spoiler:
I think Russo as the sole bad guy was a disappointment as it meant in turn they couldn't really do much with the Punisher, I thought it really needed to bring in back one of the superheroes to stop the Punisher from going on a rampage and killing the lot of them. Aside from the inconsistency of the gun accuracy I thought it was starting to get a bit silly the number of times the Punisher was badly shot up and was better within a short period of time

Have you watched the Tick on Amazon Prime? I've just started watching it and it's an amusing alternative to the usual superhero stuff.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Dec 2017, 02:07

And just finished watching it...wow it's very short.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 31 Dec 2017, 18:09

Johnmcl7, EviL Ras, I’ve just seen there is part 1 of a Robot Wars special tonight.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 01 Jan 2018, 16:38

Replicant wrote:Source of the post Johnmcl7, EviL Ras, I’ve just seen there is part 1 of a Robot Wars special tonight.

Well spotted, I was jut thinking how much I'm missing robot wars when I was reading back through this thread.

I've just finished the first three series of Better Call Saul which is the prequel/spin-off to Breaking Bad which I'd tried before but couldn't really get into however I gave it a proper go this time and as the binge watching implies, thought it was pretty good. It's quite different to Breaking Bad and not quite as dramatic but still it creates some great characters as well as going back to some of the characters from Breaking Bad to give them some more background.

I've also been watching the Orville which is now showing on Fox around half a year after the US, it's a sort of Star Trek parody by Seth MacFarlane who I'm not normally a fan of but I've been finding the first few episodes entertaining. Although it's poking fun at Star Trek and similar it does it in a way to have a bit of fun rather than mocking Star Trek and it clearly shows that Seth MacFarlane is a big fan of Star Trek.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 01 Jan 2018, 18:43

Seen the first 2 episodes of the orville and enjoyed it so far. So i'll keep at it. Its like fan tribute to star trek!

Robot wars was great again! An odd mix of robots, but sort of makes sense.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Jan 2018, 22:37

That was a bit of an odd episode particularly their choice of robots for the best of British robots, I had to chuckle the inclusion of Gabriel although I guess they were trying to balance the clearly inferior European robots. I did like that four wheel drive Belgian one which seemed to have a decent amount of traction and could keep itself out of trouble, I've been hoping to see a design in the Uk series although I don't think it's allowed in our series as there's no active weapon.

Is there another episode? I noticed in their clips they were showing Eruption and Thor both with Union Jacks on them similar to some of those competing this time and I was sure when I initially read about these specials (they were filmed the same time as the main series) that one of the European robots was a mini Sergeant Bash.

Spoiler:
I was amazed at how high Apollo managed to flip Sir Killalot, I didn't think it would be able to lift at all but the second flip getting up on the side wasn't far from pushing him over if killalot hadn't got the tracks moving quickly enough, Apollo might have just been able to get him over That would have been a very impressive feather in its cap although it was also funny when they had Dead Metal up on its side
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 02 Jan 2018, 23:56

Yup, episode 2\2 is on this weekend with Thor and eruption!

Agree with Apollo! So close!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Jan 2018, 22:31

Second half of Robot Wars special was on tonight and
Spoiler:
thought it was quite a disappointment, I was thinking with the strong line up of UK robots this time that they'd be against much tougher robots. However the ones this time were a joke, most of the rival robots barely supported a single hit and while the Russian flipper and tough as nails survived, they could do nothing in return.

Still that was an impressive hit Nipper took and quite amazing that it was still at all functional given it was on fire and parts of it were actually hanging out the chassis, I wonder where all that smoke was coming from after as well - I guess their claw must be CO2 driven.

I was curious about the power of Eruption's flipper which generally looks comparable to Apollo when it flips other robots, I liked the montage of Eruption tossing the robots out the arena was impressive but when it came to lifting Dead Metal it couldn't seem to do it at all. Apollo had done that with ease and I'd say was able to lift the much heavier Sir Killalot higher. Just had a quick look on the RW Reddit and they reckon Apollo's longer arm gives it more leverage over Eruption.

Channel 4 have quite a clever little series called the Big Little Railway where they're attempting to build a model railway from Fort William to Inverness, the first one was on tonight. It's quite silly but I love the idea behind it particularly since they're building it on a stretch I'm very familiar with.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 07 Jan 2018, 23:21

I have been a bit disappointed with most of the non-UK robots.

Regarding Eruptions flipper, I think theirs tends to be more of a vertical action whereas Apollo’s tends to be a bit taller and better able to turn the heavy house robots over.
Y.N.W.A.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 08 Jan 2018, 00:57

They did say on twitter that they only had 1 day to make repairs after the bashing they took in the final!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14

Return to “The Salmon Pond”