Dear Blog V XV - the blog strikes back

Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Oct 2017, 22:57

Dear Blog,

I got very handy with quicklinks on the fat bike which for some reason kept breaking its chain (a KMC one) although after trashing it completely on a 24 hour event, I didn't hesitate to replace it. Although I have plenty 10 speed quicklinks, I haven't bought any 11-speed ones despite two of my bikes now being 11-speed as the cost seems crazy but I should really just buy some before I'm in the middle of nowhere and badly regret not having any.

It's great to get a better time after all that even just with the mud as that is harder going than you realise, there was one winter I felt my fitness was way off as my speed was slow but then as the trails dried up, I was quickly finding it much easier and faster. On a 24 hour event I did last winter the conditions were much warmer than usual which people were surprised was such a problem but it turns the whole track into a very soft, muddy mess with the massive number of bikes churning up and even the massive tyres on the fat bike made it really, really hard going as the bike just wasn't rolling at all. The previous year it was much colder and while some of the higher sections were a bit treacherous being icy, the rest of it was much better as the ground was firm, held together and the bike rolled a lot better.

I'm just getting back into muddy riding and used to riding at night on the soft muddy trails without suspension although I had an odd experience with the fat bike last week that near the end of the ride the bike just seemed really hard work. I stopped and checked the front tyre and found it was running at 0 psi (a fat bike tyre doesn't go completely flat like a normal tyre), pumped it up again, got going but the back was squirming around and checked to find it was also at 0 psi. I pumped it up and thought both tyres must be punctured but couldn't complain after three years of riding, got it home, checked at the weekend and both tyres were holding the higher pressure fine. Back out tonight and they're still holding pressure. Thankfully no events coming up so it's not too much of an issue, I've been debating whether to give some CX racing a go but it's hard to know how serious people are going to be.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 20 Oct 2017, 14:32

dear blog,
need to get back out on the bike.

Speaking of backs, mine is borked. Called the doctor and as expected, keep mobile, drugs and stop crying.

*cries*
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Oct 2017, 00:45

Dear Blog,

Did you get a new bike in the end? What have you done to your back?
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 23 Oct 2017, 16:37

Dear blog,
Have stopped cycling this summer along with all other forms of exercise so imagine the bike will be in the garage till next spring. Luckily I didn't buy a new either.

No idea what happened with back, was in agony friday morning but by today I'm pretty much back to normal, just a little tight in the stretches.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Nov 2017, 19:05

Dear Blog,

It's five years this week since I started mountain biking after picking up an ex-rental hardtail and joining a newly formed group to go out on Thursday nights. At the time I was looking to extend my cycling beyond just commuting but had struggled to find a suitable group, looking back it seems a bit crazy starting mountain bike riding at night when I didn't have the fitness, any technique, suitable lights and any proper equipment. I guess at the time I didn't really know what it involved and when I wanted to pack it in almost straight was encouraged by the people in the group to keep going.

I'm very glad I did stick with it and had a good anniversary ride last night with just one other but he's one of the people that also started with the group. After a bit of hassle with my fork having an unusual design I fitted the mudguard and hadn't realised how much I was bracing myself for mud, it felt quite odd not getting covered at certain times. It's not bad on the slow sections but when you leave the muddy parts and onto faster firetrack, the dollops of mud get flung off the tyres and go generally everywhere.

When I started the Garmin it prompted to set up emergency contacts to enable incident detection which is a feature on the higher end Garmins where it uses the accelerometer to detect if the bike has possibly crashed, You then get 30 seconds to cancel the prompt on the Garmin otherwise it will text/e-mail your emergency contact with your GPS co-ordinates. It turns out my Garmin does have the necessary hardware so will enable it and give it a go, there's certainly a lot of potential for false positives but as long as there's not too many it could be a useful feature when I'm out on my own.

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 05 Feb 2018, 11:33

Dear blog,

Stayed up for the superbowl and it was a great game! Broke practically any record you can think of. Glad i managed to watch the whole thing! Its not the same when you go to bed at 1:30-2. So went to bed at 3:30 instead.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
mrtoddie
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby mrtoddie » 19 Feb 2018, 12:00

Dear Blog,

Started a new diet this year (low carb) have already lost 7.8KG so well on my way.

Next step is the exercising which should further increase the weight loss! Got my road bike some new tyres plus I have a route planned out for the MTB too... Just need to actually get out :P

For those interested we are using the Tom Kerridge Dopamine Diet. But have adapted it to be a bit less grueling on the cooking requirements (some meals seem too much to be making at home on a weeknight).
Yeah!
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 19 Feb 2018, 13:43

Dear blog,
Great work Toddie. My belly is the fullest its ever been so signing up to a 5 mile run next month and 10k the month after so also need to pull my finger out!

Will look into the Tom kerridge diet!
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 19 Feb 2018, 20:43

Dear blog,

Great work! We're doing the biggest loser at work and i've lost 2.3 KG in 3 weeks. So i'm happy with this slow weight loss! Just cut sugar out my coffee, switched to a salad at lunch, and taking the stairs at work!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 26 Feb 2018, 15:05

mrtoddie wrote:Source of the post Dear Blog,

Started a new diet this year (low carb) have already lost 7.8KG so well on my way.

Next step is the exercising which should further increase the weight loss! Got my road bike some new tyres plus I have a route planned out for the MTB too... Just need to actually get out :P

For those interested we are using the Tom Kerridge Dopamine Diet. But have adapted it to be a bit less grueling on the cooking requirements (some meals seem too much to be making at home on a weeknight).

Dear Blog,

That sounds like a great start, how much are you aiming to lose?

I haven't been out properly on the road bike for months as I don't find it much fun riding this time of year as it's unpleasant going at speed into the cold weather, the conditions can be dangerous and unpredictable plus it tends to make a mess of the bike. Depending on what's about where you live I'd definitely recommend seeing if there's any decent local groups to go out riding with as that's the sole reason I've stuck with mountain biking, I do love doing it but having a set time when other people are going out means I keep going out regularly even when the weather and trail conditions are crap because when you're in a group you tend to just have a laugh and ignore the downsides.

I've had a mixed winter though as I've struggled to get back into riding on the fat bike after having a good summer on the plus hard tail, I started off with knee problems (I changed the seatpost last year) but couldn't get the speed out of it as I had on the plus bike. It's taken a few months but managed to get finally get the hang of it again and get some decent times from it although just in time to get back on the summer bike...

John
mrtoddie

Postby mrtoddie » 05 Mar 2018, 12:48

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post

Dear Blog,

I haven't been out properly on the road bike for months as I don't find it much fun riding this time of year as it's unpleasant going at speed into the cold weather, the conditions can be dangerous and unpredictable plus it tends to make a mess of the bike. Depending on what's about where you live I'd definitely recommend seeing if there's any decent local groups to go out riding with as that's the sole reason I've stuck with mountain biking, I do love doing it but having a set time when other people are going out means I keep going out regularly even when the weather and trail conditions are crap because when you're in a group you tend to just have a laugh and ignore the downsides.

I've had a mixed winter though as I've struggled to get back into riding on the fat bike after having a good summer on the plus hard tail, I started off with knee problems (I changed the seatpost last year) but couldn't get the speed out of it as I had on the plus bike. It's taken a few months but managed to get finally get the hang of it again and get some decent times from it although just in time to get back on the summer bike...

John

Dear Blog,

Thanks guys!

My aim is 30KG, and I wouldn't have thought it would be possible but the progress so far is great. I have been stuck on 105 kg for the past few weeks but have been unwell.

That said, even with eating crappy food for that time I haven't gained any weight, which helps with the motivation and with the thought that I can take a break sometimes and have a takeaway as a treat!

We are getting a proper exercise bike tonight (one with a flywheel) so I can get back on the bike indoors and get into a proper routine and hopefully drop some more weight.

Already in need of better fitting clothes!

Will defo take a look at the clubs, the first one I have come across already looks intimidating so I will keep looking!
Yeah!
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 07 Mar 2018, 00:20

Dear blog,

i hate packing. why does it always take me days and days to pack!!! Flying off to taiwan, hong kong and thailand on thursday night.. Still ironing and its getting late..
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Mar 2018, 01:51

mrtoddie wrote:Source of the post
Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post

Dear Blog,

John

Dear Blog,

Thanks guys!

My aim is 30KG, and I wouldn't have thought it would be possible but the progress so far is great. I have been stuck on 105 kg for the past few weeks but have been unwell.

That said, even with eating crappy food for that time I haven't gained any weight, which helps with the motivation and with the thought that I can take a break sometimes and have a takeaway as a treat!

We are getting a proper exercise bike tonight (one with a flywheel) so I can get back on the bike indoors and get into a proper routine and hopefully drop some more weight.

Already in need of better fitting clothes!

Will defo take a look at the clubs, the first one I have come across already looks intimidating so I will keep looking!

Dear Blog,

Road bike groups can be tricky as I find in general (although with a lot of exceptions) roadies get their satisfaction from going as fast as possible regardless of anyone else whereas mountain bike groups tend to be more relaxed and just out to enjoy the ride and make sure everyone else does. I joined a local road bike group who did a training ride for beginners to learn how to group ride and with no drops, some people were welcoming and would keep the group together. It went well for a bit until none of those people were out on the ride and that meant it turned into a race where they hammered the pace and dropped anyone who couldn't keep up even though the club have other nights specifically for that type of riding. I stopped going but was told it was just tour de france fever and the people had been told to calm it on this ride, went back and got completely hammered again so didn't go back.

While my preference is mountain biking the road group rides were a good pace and helped improved my road performance but can't be bothered putting up with the nonsense. Hilariously that club wonder why they have such trouble getting beginners to stick with them...

I do occasionally go out with a local social ride which is good for a change but the pace is obviously quite slow, I also tried joining the CTC rides which are a more pleasant atmosphere but again the pace is slow and it means a 50 mile takes a long time. I realise that sounds unfair to criticise one for being too fast and one for being too slow but would just like to go at a moderate, regular pace to improve my fitness. It sounds odd but fitness on the MTB is quite different to the road bike so although I'd say I'm reasonable on the mountain bike, my pace on the road bike isn't great as I struggle at keeping a good constant pace.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 May 2018, 01:18

Dear Blog.

Wow, this is a long time since there's been a post here :S

John
mrtoddie

Postby mrtoddie » 01 Jun 2018, 08:47

Dear Blog,

Really want to get out on my bike!

Next week I should be able too, hopefully there isn't too much rain over the weekend and I may get out on sunday.
Yeah!

Return to “The Salmon Pond”