STEAM

Discuss PC and console gaming
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Re: STEAM

Postby Johnmcl7 » 18 Jul 2012, 23:30

Thanks very much, I've found your one and added a comment.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Southwestwall » 19 Jul 2012, 20:58

Spotted a game I missed last sale, one more added to my collection.

Witcher 2 Enhanced at 60% off.
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 Jul 2012, 23:36

I've not seen any good deals on the Assassin's creed games which I was fancying nor the original Dawn of War games, tomorrow is the last day. Quantum Conundrum is up on sale today although only 40% so since I've plenty to keep me going may wait for it coming up another time cheaper.

John
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby scarbunny » 22 Jul 2012, 08:45

I've not been particularly impressed by the sale, its the first year I've really kept an eye on it but considering the hype Steam sales get there has not been many amazing deals.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 26 Jul 2012, 16:02

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18996377

valve not happy with MS muscling in on their online space.

brings up interesting point about whether or not steam should be paying for running a subscription / games service on their OS. Apple certainly have no qualms in charging 30%...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 26 Jul 2012, 16:22

I'm not impressed with the comments from Gabe Newell, the article initially makes it look like he's not happy with technical implementations of the platform but what it boils down to is sour grapes that Microsoft are working on improving their games services. I haven't been following Windows 8 that closely but I *think* it's only RT that has the locked down store? I can't see the X86 Windows 8 being so locked down so there is nothing lost to Valve on that side as they currently don't sell ARM games through Steam anyway.

I also think that Linux support isn't going to be as easy as they seem to imply as there's so many factors outside their control particularly graphics card drivers which are a big enough headache on Windows and can be considerably worse on Linux. Still, it's no bad thing if they do properly support Linux.

The simplest answer I think from Valve is to give people a reason to use Steam which I can't see being a problem, are they still planning to release HL2: Episode 3 or is that pretty much canned? It's been years since the last one and I don't think there's been any word on it? That's the sort of title that would easily keep people coming through Steam as HL2 effectively got many people onto Steam initially.

John
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 26 Jul 2012, 16:42

So Gabe wants to make all Steam games compatible with Linux? How about doing the same for OSx, surely there are a few more Mac users than Linux.

I still hate Steam as a platform, but if they made all my games cross platform it would make the forced DRM a little more palatable.
raith_rovers_fan
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby raith_rovers_fan » 27 Jul 2012, 01:32

HL2: EP3

lol
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 27 Jul 2012, 08:41

matt wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18996377

valve not happy with MS muscling in on their online space.

brings up interesting point about whether or not steam should be paying for running a subscription / games service on their OS. Apple certainly have no qualms in charging 30%...

Interesting. Wonder how good the store will be for games. Anyone remember Gaming For Windows Live? That was a big bucket of rubbish. Even now I can't get the DLC for Fallout 3 as I bought it on DVD instead of through steam.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 27 Jul 2012, 09:14

I didn't really mind GFWL, it never caused any problems for me and I got achievements so win win.

What I don't understand, and maybe its been done in W8, is why it wasn't included at the system level. If they had built Xbox Live, with all the accompanying stores and features, in to the system with all the hooks in place for achievements, friends, chat etc. from day one as an integrated part of the system there would be much less issue with it.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Jul 2012, 15:28

Apart from a profile issue, GFWL usually works fine for me although when it was mixed with Steam it was a bit clumsy having two different systems on the go at once. I'm finding that's an increasing problem with Steam as EA, Ubisoft and now Rockstar all have their separate launcher system for Steam games which I'm surprised they are allowed to do.

I agree about it's surprisingly that Microsoft haven't integrated Live more although I don't know if there's any antitrust issues given how much trouble they got into for bundling a media player and internet browser. It does sound on at least one of the Windows 8 platforms that Live is going to be more tightly integrated.

I'm not a fan of Steam and constantly frustrated with its problems (this week it went completely wrong and has wrecked half my games library) so if a push from Microsoft will make Valve up their game that's all the better for us.

Is Episode 3 dead or just nothing on it at all?

John
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 11 Aug 2012, 09:18

Looks like MS are integrating achievements with solitaire, minesweeper and mahjong having them when W8 ships.

http://www.infopackets.com/news/busines ... ements.htm
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 12 Aug 2012, 00:04

scarbunny wrote:Looks like MS are integrating achievements with solitaire, minesweeper and mahjong having them when W8 ships.

Hmmm, can't find the quote, but they changed the rules a few months ago, on Windows Phone at least, so free games were supposed to be eligible for 200 points like XBA games, and the days of 50 point games (which were proper games, like Minesweeper) were gone.

But I am a sucker for gamerscore... so bring on the Solitaire!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 20 Aug 2012, 21:40

Tappy wrote:Hmmm, can't find the quote, but they changed the rules a few months ago, on Windows Phone at least, so free games were supposed to be eligible for 200 points like XBA games, and the days of 50 point games (which were proper games, like Minesweeper) were gone.

But I am a sucker for gamerscore... so bring on the Solitaire!

I think the free games on Windows Phone are 50gs, so not sure.

Back on topic I got 2 invites to the Steam Community Beta thingy for being one of the first 50,000 to get the pillar of the community badge, so have one spare if some one wants it, can't see what's so special with it really.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 18 Feb 2013, 18:34

Anyone else having trouble with Steam? Today when I launch any game I get the error 'Failed to start game (missing executable) - check the support page' which of course helpfully doesn't exist when I click the link.

John

Return to “Gaming”