What Book are you reading? and rate it.

Anything goes here...
Combat Marmot
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Re: What Book are you reading? and rate it.

Postby Combat Marmot » 30 Sep 2008, 14:22

I'm currently reading 'I'm with the Brand', it's about the change in how things are marketed to consumers. It focuses on the shift between 'in your face' advertising to more modern forms (sponsorship, events etc.) and discusses that so many of us are not as 'immune' to advertising as we might like to think or claim. It's not the kind of book that I would normally read (I'm not into, or involved with, marketing) but it was included in a 3 for 2 offer in waterstones.

I'm also reading 'The Maltese Falcon' by Dasheill Hammett. It's a classic private eye novel but at first some of the slang is a bit inpenetrable.
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 24 May 2009, 09:22

Well I thought this old thread was worth reviving - I have just fininshed reading Lois on the loose which is a travel book about a certain Lois travelling North and South America by motorbike and her trials/tribulations on the way.

Found this to be an enjoyable read it cover to cover in 2 days. I remember reading bits of her travel blog when she was doing it back in 2004.

So yesterday I went and bought her new book about biking from England to Cape Town via a more unconventional route through Algeria, Niger, Congo and down the western side of Africa.

Also bought myself a new version of the Adventure Motorcycling Handbook as my current copy is very out of date.
Y.N.W.A.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 24 May 2009, 21:09

I finished reading The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks a few weeks ago. Really enjoyed it. First book I've read properly in a year or so I think. Crazy to think that I haven't read a novel in so long. Was good getting immersed in it and get the 'can't put it down' feeling.

Not too sure what I'll read next but still got a few un-read books from a few Christmases ago that need dusting off.
kingosticks
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby kingosticks » 24 May 2009, 23:48

I've been making my way through Probabilistic Robotics by Thrun, Burgard and Fox. As textbooks go its one of the best I've read and I think I'll take the hit and buy it!
Advocate

Postby Advocate » 25 May 2009, 11:14

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

Not got that far with it yet, about 80 pages in, but it is a really good book so far (recommended by the girly) tis about a crook who escaped from an Oz prison to India and his adventures there. Based on a true story too.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 May 2009, 13:32

Just finished the Grey Knights trilogy (their symbol is my avatar) which I first read last year but having spent more time reading up on the WH universe the books make a bit more sense the second time round. I've just started a non-fiction book called Skunkworks which I bought a while back but never got around to reading, I've been looking at a couple of SR-71 books but before ordering I thought I should really actually read the one I have already.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Sep 2010, 01:44

I thought this topic was appropriate to bump, has anyone here read No-One Would Listen which is a book written about the Madoff scam? I was watching a program about it on Anytime and hadn't realised that this one person had sussed Madoff years before he was caught but despite trying for many years never managed to convince anyone to look into the problem seriously. The program included the footage of when this guy was at some SEC meeting and he was just blasting away at them which is extremely understandable. As a result I'm curious to read his book although at £12 it's a little pricey hence I wondered if anyone else here had read it or had any thoughts.

Bookwise it will be no surprise to find I'm still reading mostly Warhammer books :) I did recently read the original Starship Troopers which is just incredible for such an old book, unlike the film the mobile infantry in the book are suited up in power armour. The author goes into considerable detail into how the armour amplificiation system works, how the operator uses their chin and face to operate controls and how the armour is prepped and combat dropped. The story itself feels a bit thin on the ground though as the author also goes into considerable detail on the structure of the forces and their training systems leaving little time for the actual story.

I've also been reading 'Bad Medicine' which is a book written by an author criticising many of the current medical practices such as Homeopathy and explaining some of the issues behind clinicial studies. The placebo chapter was particularly fascinating as I didn't realise how far it extended, it seems unbelievable that it can have such a deep effect. One example given was that you could give someone who was feeling nauseous a tablet which should make them feel worse but if the person is convinced they will make them feel better they do in fact remarkably ease the sickness.

John
raith_rovers_fan
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby raith_rovers_fan » 30 Sep 2010, 09:42

I think it is a stretch to call homeopathy a medical practice, not very many health professionals would prescribe it. The fact that it is available on the NHS is disgraceful. Other good books on a similar topics to that are Ben Goldacre - Bad Science and Simon Singh - Trick or Treatment.
The best thing about the placebo effect is you also get it when you take the real thing so that would mean you get the actual effect of the drug and the placebo effect too.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 30 Sep 2010, 09:59

Homoeopathy - where magically water has selective memory, it can remember the healing properties of a drop of onion juice but forgets about all the poo its had in it.

I remember reading that mathematically to ensure setting one molecule of the good stuff in a relatively mild homoeopathic remedy you would have to consume more of it than there is water in the world.

Currently reading Joe Abercrombie's "Best Served Cold" surprisingly a book about revenge. It took me a while to get into it but it is very good.

Also read the first 3 Dexter books, also very good.
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 30 Sep 2010, 17:56

Johnmcl7 wrote:... I did recently read the original Starship Troopers which is just incredible for such an old book, unlike the film the mobile infantry in the book are suited up in power armour. The author goes into considerable detail into how the armour amplificiation system works, how the operator uses their chin and face to operate controls and how the armour is prepped and combat dropped. The story itself feels a bit thin on the ground though as the author also goes into considerable detail on the structure of the forces and their training systems leaving little time for the actual story.

John

Hienlien is my favourite author, although Starship Troopers is one of the only ones I haven't read. The Lazarus Long books are good and Friday is superb. Stranger in a strange land can be a good read, but I think it depends on your state of mind and how you embrace Heinleins views and priniciples which come through strongly in his books.

Some are 'boys own' SF but you can still see some of the more complex ideas coming through.

Currently just startin Phandom of the Opera by Robert Rankin, my first fiction book since I started my degree five years ago. Struggling tbh, but I'm sure I will get into it by the fifth chapter.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
kingosticks
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby kingosticks » 04 Oct 2010, 00:09

I'm very nearly through Embedded Linux Primer: A Practical Real World Approach. No joke, it actually has a picture of a light sabre on the front. That aside, it's been really really interesting and probably the best book I've read in ages! I borrowed it from the uni library but I am definitely going to buy it. And maybe a bookcase to go with it....
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 09 Jul 2013, 14:16

Wow, no new post in this thread in a while!

Not reading a book at the moment but thought this could be a place to vent some annoyance at the prices of ebooks to the their hardback and paperback counterparts. I know it's been said before but only now am I really looking into buying books from the Nook store. Firstly, they're more expensive than from the Kindle store which secondly, as has been said many times before, is a lot of the time dearer than the physical books! Especially on new releases. Ragh!

edit - Just seen a couple that buck this trend although the Nook store is still a little dearer than the Kindle store.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 09 Jul 2013, 15:19

I would like it if you bought a hard copy from Amazon and the e-book included in the price. Would certainly motivate me to buy more. Can fill up the book case, but also have the convenience of electronic.

Listened to a load of Audiobooks recently. Most very good!

World War Z
A Short History of Nearly Everything
The Great Gatsby
Joyland (Steven King)

A few other Sci-Fi ones. They are very good for the gym, as really hard to concentrate on listening if you are actually doing anything that takes thought.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Jul 2013, 01:10

I fully agree Jim particularly given the cost of distributing an e-book is barely non-existent when compared to music and video, Amazon now offer 'Autorip' in the UK so CD's purchased automatically give you access to the mp3. Which makes sense as you're effectively meant to be buying the license so getting access to the different formats makes sense. Sadly the digital download world rarely makes sense...

I was pleased when the publisher I use started to offer bundles where you'd get the book and the ebook together. It made sense because normally I buy the books for a few pounds less on Amazon but would buy direct from the publisher for a little more if it meant getting the ebook as well. The price however wasn't the rrp of the book as I expected and instead was almost double so that idea went quickly out of the window.

Robbo - feel free to rant about ebook prices, personally I wouldn't buy anything from Nook when you can go for larger platforms that are better supported. Given the hassle you seem to be having it sounds like it's worth rooting the Nook and using the Kindle store which I'm guessing you're probably considering already.

I'm really struggling on my current book to the degree that when I checked another book for a reference I ended up reading it instead, I got hooked by the intro on the ebook which I'm sure isn't there on the hardback. The book I've been struggling with is disappointing as one of the previous books written by the author with the same Space Marine chapter was particularly good in that it was quite different to the usual Space Marine books. This one so far really isn't which is frustrating as it even had the same characters but just a boring kill the orks.

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 10 Jul 2013, 11:29

What are the best Space Marine books? Would mind dipping my ties in, would be right up my street I imagine.

j

Return to “The Salmon Pond”