What Book are you reading? and rate it.

Anything goes here...
UKIan
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: What Book are you reading? and rate it.

Postby UKIan » 19 Aug 2008, 11:46

Replicant wrote:Just starting Head First HTML with CSS and XHTML which looks interesting and also Dont Make Me Think a guide to web usability which has some very good and remarkably simple usability design tips.

Got several other Head First books waiting in the wings as well.

Yeap, the head first series are great. I've also now got 11 Tom Sharpe books to hack through. I probably mentioned them before as they've been sat in the lounge for the last few weeks, but they're all early 60's-80's comedy stuff and well worth a read. I've just ordered all the Clarkson/May/Hammond books I missed on the last pass too :)
peted76
mimobots
mimobots

Postby peted76 » 19 Aug 2008, 11:47

Finished reading "The Ice Man" by Philip Carlo, a fascinating life of killer with hundreds of bodies under his belt, his acts were so atrocious, but I couldn't help liking the fella by the end of the book.
Truly fascinating.
User of Asus G1 | Asus W5F | IBM T43p | PCMCIA MoGo | MX518 | Logitech Z-10 | USB controlled foam missile launcher | PSN: peted76 | Steam: garabug2
www.techpond.co.uk the UK's number 1 tech discussion forum
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 22 Aug 2008, 17:17

Got 2 free audio books with my new Zen, so "read" Enders Game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game

Absolutely loved it, if you like sci-fi you should def get hold of it. Infact, the authour says the audio book is the best way to consume the book.

Also got Slaughterhouse Five

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse_five

Pretty weird narrative, but equally as good as Enders. Would give 5/5 to both and highly recommend them.

Just started the God Delusion, enjoying it so far.

j
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 24 Aug 2008, 18:41

I have never tried 'reading' an audio book. Isnt it just like listening to Jackanory without the pictures?
Y.N.W.A.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 25 Aug 2008, 10:28

Replicant wrote:I have never tried 'reading' an audio book. Isnt it just like listening to Jackanory without the pictures?

I'm a bit too young for Jackanory, but if they read you stories on that, then yeah pretty much the same :) I was a bit unconvinced at first, but then really got into it. It's nice on holiday as you don't have to battle with the glare of the sun. Give it a try, though I'm sure it won't be for everyone. And I wouldn't pay for one.

j
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 26 Aug 2008, 10:02

just bought the first Dark tower book will start that tonight, also a new book called "The Fall of Lucifer" looked quite interesting will let you know how it goes.
Roadshow
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Roadshow » 26 Aug 2008, 14:31

Currently reading the latest Christopher Brookmyre, 'A Snowball In Hell'. It is, like all his books, most excellent and I would say falls in to the satirical crime genre like America's Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiaasen. Snowball In Hell is a stand-alone book but features characters previously encountered in 'A Big Boy Did It and Ran Away' and 'The Sacred Art Of Stealing', so it would be best read after those two, if you are to fully appreciate the characters involved. Certainly if you read this it would spoil the ending of 'A Big Boy Did It...' at any rate.
If you think British, and particularly Scottish crime thrillers are dour and formulaic, like those of the much over-hyped Ian Rankin and Stuart McBride, then Christopher Brookmyre is the man to change that.
If you haven't read anything by him before, I would recommend either 'Quite Ugly One Morning' or 'One Fine Day In The Middle Of The Night', definitely the latter if you ever attended a school disco during the 1980's, as very good places to start.
If my mini-review isn't enough, he is the only crime-writer today who previously owned a lan-gaming store and whose personal website used to be themed with graphics and sounds from DOOM :)

EDIT
A Snowball...'s crime involves the cult of celebrity and reality tv. Got to love an author who describes Peter André as "a suntanned dildo" and who offers the prospect of live tv coverage of a thinly disguised Loraine Kelly in ........ well you'll have to read it for yourselves.
Last edited by Roadshow on 27 Aug 2008, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
Advocate

Postby Advocate » 27 Aug 2008, 09:31

can't stand audio books personally - they always get the voices wrong.....
raith_rovers_fan
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby raith_rovers_fan » 27 Aug 2008, 19:04

Christopher Brookmyre is one of my favourite authors, I highly recomend him to anyone, I always thought his humour was distinctly Scottish I may be mistaken though.

Currently reading the graphic novel Watchmen, and it is really good. The characters are even more deep and complex then the average author manages (at least in my experience) and the story is also excellent. Cant wait for the movie too, June next year i think. Trailer looks awesome, it looks like potentially the greatest comic book movie ever, to go with its current status of greatest comic book ever. It is in Time magazines 100 greatest books written in the last 100 years and the Hugo award re-wrote their rules so it could win.
Last edited by raith_rovers_fan on 27 Aug 2008, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 27 Aug 2008, 19:05

Advocate wrote:can't stand audio books personally - they always get the voices wrong.....

Not quite the same as the ones in your head that speak to you? :D
Y.N.W.A.
Malice
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Malice » 27 Aug 2008, 20:36

Currently reading Howard Mark's autobiography titled Mr Nice. It's an interesting read, if slightly confusing at times. If you don't know who he is, he's was one of England's biggest drug importer/exporters. Borrowed it off one of my housemates.

I use to read a lot of fantasy stuff, mainly David Eddings. Read all of his stuff at least 5 times. Highly recommend his books.
Empty space for rent $5!
Combat Marmot
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby Combat Marmot » 27 Aug 2008, 21:54

One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night is a most excellent book (*Bill and Ted voice*). I quite literally couldn't sleep until I finished it at about 4am. It was particularly difficult stifling the laughs so as not to wake anyone else up...
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 27 Aug 2008, 23:23

Replicant wrote:
Advocate wrote:can't stand audio books personally - they always get the voices wrong.....

Not quite the same as the ones in your head that speak to you? :D

Exactly :)

Howard Marks was ok, that's going back a bit, but nice to see he's still getting a bit of book time :)
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 19 Sep 2008, 06:59

Well almost finished the Head First Learn HTML, XHTML & CSS book and it has been very enjoyable. OK there a few times when the silly stuff was mildly irritating but overall this has been one of the few 'learning' books that have held my attention from beginning to end and made learning enjoyable.

Not so sure on its long term worth but definitely a good place to start.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Sep 2008, 23:39

I've tried audio books as I liked the idea of 'reading' a book while walking however I found the pace was often too slow and I just preferred reading the book.

I'm still working my way through the Horus Heresy series and still enjoying them, there's been some complaints against the series that it drags its heels but I have to say I like how they've chosen to move along. The first three books are almost entirely from the point of view of the 10th Captain in Horus' legion the Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus up to the point of the heresy. The next book follows a different legion up to the point of the previous book then goes one step further. The book after that then covers another legion starting slightly later, covering the same event as by the first legion but going two steps beyond and so forth. It means you get to see the four different legions at the point of the heresy and still move the story forward.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire

Return to “The Salmon Pond”