What Book are you reading? and rate it.

Anything goes here...
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

What Book are you reading? and rate it.

Postby Replicant » 16 Aug 2008, 15:04

Well guys, something a bit more cerebral to post about, unless your thing doesnt extend beyond the pictures in FHM or Loaded.

Tell us what book you are reading or have just finished. If finished perhaps rate it? Or books to recommend to others.

To kick off I am currently starting The Prince by Machiavelli (a rather old classic) which although not very long I have never yet made the time to read.
Y.N.W.A.
Bryn

Re: What Book are you reading? and rate it.

Postby Bryn » 16 Aug 2008, 17:37

Re-reading Andy McNab's 'Crisis Four' and 'Last Light', both excellent if you're a McNab fan.

Finished Richard Dawkin's 'God Delusion' recently which is also a superb read if you're looking to question just about everything you've been told. Stunningly clever and well-written book.
Dell XPS M1330 - T7500 / 8400M GS / 2GB / 250GB / WLED / Intel-N / 9 Cell
--------------------
C2Q Q6600 / 512MB 8800GTS / 2GB OCZ / 580GB / X-Fi
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 16 Aug 2008, 20:22

I've just finished Chapter Wars, the fourth in the Soul Drinkers series - as always with me it's a Warhammer book which is slightly different than some of the others. 'Soul Drinkers' refers to the Space Marine Chapter who are derived from the Imperial FIsts Legion. Rather than the usual good guys fighting the bad guys the Soul Drinkers look to be turning to Chaos after a sacred chapter relic is stolen by the Adeptus Mechanicus. Although I don't think the author took as much advantage as he could have done in some parts of the book on the whole I did like it.

I'm currently reading Horus Rising, the first of the Horus Heresy series of books - - the Horus Heresy is one of the defining moments of the WH40K universe where the Space Marines attacked each other as Horus turns on the Emperor. The books are well rated and so far it's started off well in that it's not the predictable fan fiction some of the books are.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 16 Aug 2008, 20:50

Firstly - I am only reading e-books which are available DRM free (then I donate to the author once I've read the book).

The last book I finished reading was "Forever Fifteen" by Kimberly Steele, which is a vampire story. It follows the life of a girl, turned when she was 15, now 600 years old and struggling to tolerate immortality. The story flits between her current life, posing as a foster child, moving from family to family, and her past covering the circumstances that led to her turning, and her "first" life after she was turned. One interesting twist in this is that the author has allowed vampires to be unharmed by daylight, first time I've come across that. I have to say, I found it a really addictive read (I started listening to the audio book, but after a few chapters, I switched to reading the PDF of it on my Nokia E51 - nothing wrong with the audio, I just had more opportunities to read than I did listen!).

http://www.foreverfifteen.com

The e-book I'm currently reading is "Little Brother", by Cory Doctorow. It is set in the near future in San Francisco shortly after a terrorist attack. In response the US government has slashed civil liberties, and the story follows how a bunch of teenagers fight back against the system. It's a really interesting read, as Doctorow has done his research, so all of the tricks the kids and the government use, are based on today's current and coming technologies.

http://craphound.com/littlebrother/download/
Last edited by DaveG on 19 Aug 2008, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my blog & follow me on Twitter
The Glue
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby The Glue » 16 Aug 2008, 21:09

Ever since I discovered Stephen King I've been reading his back catalogue. Currently on 'Dark Tower' book number 6. King is a legend, him and Stephen Crichton.

*100 posts, whoo-hoo :cupcake: *
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 16 Aug 2008, 21:20

DaveG wrote:The e-book I'm currently reading is "Little Brother", by Cory Doctorow. It is set in the near future in San Francisco shortly after a terrorist attack. In response the US government has slashed civil liberties, and the story follows how a bunch of teenagers fight back against the system. It's a really interesting read, as Doctorow has done his research, so all of the tricks the kids and the government use, are based on today's current and coming technologies.

http://craphound.com/littlebrother/download/

Never heard of Cory Doctorow before until your post and almost simultaneously came across this on XKCD http://xkcd.com/345/
Y.N.W.A.
Roadshow
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Roadshow » 17 Aug 2008, 00:56

Just finished Bill Bryson's Shakespeare. Very interesting and accessible.
FatIan
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby FatIan » 17 Aug 2008, 14:49

Reading 'The Last Testament' by Sam Bourne, its been OK it hasn't really gripped me, I enjoyed his previous book a lot more called 'The Righteous Men'. When I finished that I have two Chris Ryan books lined up 'Flash Flood' and 'Black Gold'. I might break those two up with Ranulph Finnes 'The Secret Hunters'. Our local Library is very generous 'cause it doesn't charge for late books so I can keep getting distracted from my reading by gaming.
Rock X770, T9300, 8800m, 500GB 7200rpm, TV tuner, WUXGA, Silver Trim, external LG blu-ray writer

Home built rig- Obsidian 800D, i7 980x OC@4.21Ghz, Zotac 480GTXs in sli, 128GB SSD 6gbs, 1TB WD Black 6gbs, Blu-ray rw, 3D Vision Kit and Monitor THX SS
DaveG
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby DaveG » 17 Aug 2008, 17:28

Replicant wrote:Never heard of Cory Doctorow before until your post and almost simultaneously came across this on XKCD http://xkcd.com/345/

How deliciously surreal :)
Visit my blog & follow me on Twitter
lukeireland
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby lukeireland » 17 Aug 2008, 23:07

The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford. Interesting insights into why things are priced in a particular way and why companies act like they do.

Interpreting Company Reports and Accounts by Holmes, Sugden and Gee. Essential reading if you ever need to Interpret Company Reports and Accounts :)

I'm not that big on fiction, I think the closest I get is autobiographies..
Luke Ireland
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 18 Aug 2008, 09:18

Just finished the Book of the first law trilogy, was pretty good.

Was actually thinking this morning that I need to start another book
Advocate

Postby Advocate » 18 Aug 2008, 11:42

A practical Guide to Linux - Sobell
Mastering Regular Expressions - Friedl
Perl In A Nutshell - Siever Spainhour & Patwardhan

and many, many more thrilling novels... the reg ex book is actually really good and the perl book reads easily and is a good beginners guide, the linux book is a bit heavy going though. You never know I may get around to actually reading a "fun" book one day.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 18 Aug 2008, 18:38

Just read the book thief. Was really good! its written from the perspective of death, writing about a jewish girl in nazi germany. Very cleverly written, and still makes you cry at the end!

Also finished some "gone without a trace" thing. about a girl whose family vanishes one night. Not bad, but crap ending!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 18 Aug 2008, 18:48

Just starting Head First HTML with CSS and XHTML which looks interesting and also Dont Make Me Think a guide to web usability which has some very good and remarkably simple usability design tips.

Got several other Head First books waiting in the wings as well.
Y.N.W.A.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 19 Aug 2008, 09:44

EviL Ras wrote:Just read the book thief. Was really good! its written from the perspective of death, writing about a jewish girl in nazi germany. Very cleverly written, and still makes you cry at the end!

Also finished some "gone without a trace" thing. about a girl whose family vanishes one night. Not bad, but crap ending!

The Book Theif is one of the best book I have read for a good long while, and your right about the end, even my blacked heart was touched. Had to keep stopping through the last few chapters.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”