Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Formula 1

Postby Johnmcl7 » 29 May 2017, 01:16

Indy 500 spoilers:
Spoiler:
I don't know if anyone was watching this but will put spoilers just in case, after a strong performance his Honda engine gave up on laptop 179 out of 200. Rather amusingly the winner was another one of Button's ex-team mates, Takuma Sato.

The crazy Nurburging 24 was on this weekend as well where they race 200 odd cars across some 20 or so classes (ranging from the likes of Audi R8's down to Renault Clios and even a classic Opel Manta) on both the F1 and original Nordschleife for 24 hours. A customer Audi team managed a tremendous job leading for 22.5 hours which in such tough conditions is impressive but as the car left the pits it struggled for power and then died on the F1 circuit, it limped back to the pits and after being hooked up to the computer they got it going. Their two minute lead was long gone and they were in third chasing a deficit of several minutes. As the lead cars completed their final splash and dash the Audi hit further bad luck as they made a mistake when fuelling and the car pulled away before it was ready, forcing them to stop it and push it back into its spot losing further time.

There had been lots of footage of the customer Audi's pit team who were all despairing while the factory Audi team couldn't believe they'd been gifted the win. However as they were getting the car back to it stop and checking the fuel cap with only 18 minutes of the 24 hours left, the rain started really chucking it down so they swapped the car onto wets and set it on its way. The risk with the Ring is that with the huge size some parts can be bone dry and some soaking wet as it was in this case but the wet tyre shod Audi rocketed along the track while the rest of the field including the two lead cars were creeping along and both skidded off the track. It looked like the customer Audi was going to crash as it tried to weave through all the slow cars, it even did an overtake on the grass to get by and then easily took its lead back however it then went onto the bone dry section of the track which could be enough to destroy the tread blocks, all was ok though and it safely made it back to the wet track and came back round for the win. Meanwhile the former lead Audi and BMW both pitted to go onto wets for the last lap but then both had the same thought that they might be able to do a fast enough lap on slicks so both immediately left the pits without refuelling or tyres.

The rain stopped shortly after but really quite an incredible finish to the race.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
matt
Cake
Cake

Formula 1

Postby matt » 30 May 2017, 11:38

sounds mega John, Monaco was crap.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Formula 1

Postby robbo » 30 May 2017, 17:48

Yep, I watched both the Monaco GP and bits of Indy 500. Monaco was yep, boring and the bits of Indy looked quite exciting (was on BT sport ESPN) - I think it's called something like that.)

Would've been nice to see Kimi win.

I watched the start on Indy 500, flicked over and watched something else then turned back to it just as the monster, flying car smash occurred - insane and lucky not to have landed on his head into the barrier. Made the Button/Wehrlein crash look comical. (Button's got a grid-penalty for that incident, not that he'll be serving it). Turned over again and then caught nearly the end and saw what happened to the Fonz and lost interest and turned over.

Do you watch the 24 hour races in stints throughout the day? There updates to see the 'best of' bits to get you up to speed or do you just read what's been going on?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Formula 1

Postby Johnmcl7 » 01 Jun 2017, 14:58

I was surprised how annoyed Kimi was about losing the win as a lot of the time he didn't seem to really care if he won the race or not however he was looking seriously pissed off the whole time after the race. Can't really blame him although also can't blame Ferrari for backing Vettel either particularly when Mercedes seem a bit on the back foot and that can quickly change so they need all the points they can get.

For watching the 24 hour races it depends on what's happening and which race it is, the Blancpain 24 and Nurburgring 24 races tend to focus on the lead GT3 cars so when they're quiet I either have it on in the background or listen to it on the radio and switch back when there's more action particularly if there's a shift in the weather. This year the N24 was mostly fairly quiet until the end while last year the Blancpain Spa 24 was pretty mad with a lot of short heavy showers so didn't watch much of the N24 but watched a lot of the Blancpain.

At Le Mans the classes feel more significant so tend to follow each of the battles in each class more closely which means while it might be quiet amongst the prototypes but a huge battle amongst the GT's and vice versa so I tend to watch most of Le Mans although there can be breaks if there's big crashes as the safety car can be out for a coupe of hours if there's serious barrier damage.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well

Return to “The Salmon Pond”