Formula 1

Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Formula 1

Postby Johnmcl7 » 31 Jul 2017, 12:16

Spoiler:
I was wondering who you meant as it was implied as Alonso but I thought it couldn't be since his car seems to rarely survive warm up but wow, that was quite a performance
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
robbo
100th member
100th member

Formula 1

Postby robbo » 09 Aug 2017, 16:26

Woooooo! I've missed lots of commenting opportunities on incidents.

I'll leave it till after the summer break now.
matt
Cake
Cake

Formula 1

Postby matt » 16 Aug 2017, 10:01

my spa tickets are here!

WOOP WOOP!
robbo
100th member
100th member

Formula 1

Postby robbo » 17 Aug 2017, 21:56

Woo yeah!! Where you sitting?

Each year I say I'll go to a race next year. So, next year it is!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Formula 1

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Aug 2017, 21:00

Hope you have a great time Matt particularly as Spa is one of my favourite tracks and I'm annoyed with myself for not making more effort for a trip as I was off shift for both the Le Mans race and the Blancpain 24 GT3 endurance race.

I've been giving SuperGT a go this weekend which is a Japanese GT series and it's a bit crazy...the main race is split into two categories, the GT500's and the GT300's. The GT500's are the premier class and is made up of immensely powerful two litre turbo cars producing around 650bhp such as the Honda NSX while the GT300 class, well I haven't quite figured it out. It seems to be a complete mix of cars including European GT3-spec cars like the Mercedes AMG, the big turbo Bentley Continental GT's and the Lamborghinis while he Japanese cars included a Subaru BR-Z STI using the WRC engine (and it sounded like it), a friendly little eco Prius using the 3.4 V8 from the Toyota LMP1, another completely different Prius running a hybrid, some concept Toyota saloon they decided to run as a GT and a few other oddities. On the opening race one of the new GT-spec Hondas failed to start, the polesitting Honda had trouble during the formation lap then a third Honda also struggled. They red flagged the race to give the Honda teams a chance to sort their cars rather than spoil the race for the fans, similarly depending on how the race is going they won't count laps under the safety car if it spoils the race. Only issue is the races are quite long at four hours each but then good to have on when I'm doing something else.

I've also been watching a documentary about Le Mans in the 60's around the huge battle between Ford and Ferrari when a scorned Ford annoyed with Ferrari decided to take revenge by building an incredible new race car to win Le Mans and embarrass the dominant Ferrari in their own backyard. I knew the basics of this story as the Ford GT40's success is well known but this documentary does a great job going into the history of Le Mans, Enzo Ferrari and Ford and how it all came together in the 60's. I knew the GT40 had been successful but I hadn't realised how difficult it had been with Ford being embarrassed several times as their GT40, pipped to be the favourite barely made it any distance into the race before dying. Ford were all the more determined to win and brought in Carroll Shelby and his team to straighten the car out and when they had engine trouble, they built a Le Mans simulator for the GT40 engine - they built a rig with robots that would simulate the car driving round Le Mans, accelerating, braking, changing gear etc. and one of the people they talked to in the film said you could tell when the simulated car was driving down the mulsanne straight. They put the engine under Le Mans stress for much longer than 24 hours to try and make sure it was robust enough for the real race.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Formula 1

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Sep 2017, 23:41

A lot of F1 news at the moment with engine suppliers...

McLaren have finally managed to dump Honda with Toro Rosso now taking up the Honda engine, freeing up a Renault engine for McLaren. Also Renault have announced that they will no longer supply Red Bull with engines after next year which may potentially force them to use Honda engines as well. There is a rumour that Porsche are interested in buying the Red Bull team and would eventually supply their own engine which doesn't seem too crazy given they've now pulled out of Le Mans and the 919 LMP1 car used a two litre turbocharged V4 with temperature recovery systems on the turbo and kinetic recovery systems for the brakes, not a million miles away from the F1 engines.

The other rumour now is that Alonso will stay with McLaren now they're going with Renault, as part of Toro Rosso's deal the Renault team will get Sainz who will take Palmer's seat. Amusing Bernie Ecclestone believes Alonso's problems are with Mclaren not Honda, a graph on the BBC showed the number of grid place drops McLaren have had due to the engine which just for 2017 stands at a crazy 260 places. Even if the engine was exceptionally powerful and fuel efficient, there's no way anyway can work with such a huge number of penalties.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Formula 1

Postby Johnmcl7 » 17 Sep 2017, 16:29

I happened to catch the start of the Singapore race and that was quite a race.

John

Return to “The Salmon Pond”