Top Gear is back Sunday :D

Anything goes here...
robbo
100th member
100th member

Re: Top Gear is back Sunday :D

Postby robbo » 30 Jul 2015, 12:47

The Old Three have signed with Amazon Prime. Out next year. Might boost the Prime membership a bit. Maybe. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33715671
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Re: Top Gear is back Sunday :D

Postby EviL Ras » 30 Jul 2015, 14:43

Took me all of 2 seconds to think about it. Will download the episodes from elsewhere!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 06 Jan 2016, 11:17

Anyone watch the best of A-Z of Topgear? Just got round to watching it. Quite enjoyed watching the clips - some I'd forgotten about - but for the best part could have done without the celebs talking and eulogising about the show - just the narration would have been fine. A couple of exceptions in Tom Chilton telling us what we all pretty much knew: the stunts and races are all rigged. And is he the current Stig?
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 04 Feb 2016, 14:04

Matt LeBlanc has been signed as one of the co-presenters for Top Gear: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35490238

I actually think that's a good call. I find him amusing, he doesn't annoy me, and he's an actor to boot, so will be good at the set-pieces - assuming they keep that aspect for the show.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 04 Feb 2016, 14:20

Meh. Wont be watching it anyway! It's all moving to Amazon prime!

I agree with some of the naysayers that they needed to bring a woman onto the scene to help make the show more diverse!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 04 Feb 2016, 15:05

I ditched Netflix for Prime as you get way more than just the old film or two.

Plus it can be paid monthly now at £7.99 a month
Y.N.W.A.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 04 Feb 2016, 15:29

I've been really enjoying the x files 9 series boxset on prime! All hd too!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 05 Feb 2016, 10:50

EviL Ras wrote:I agree with some of the naysayers that they needed to bring a woman onto the scene to help make the show more diverse!

I think they should just get the best people for the role regardless of gender. I know it's difficult to do in reality because if a woman is hired/cast then there will be people thinking she's just there because of her gender - much like panel shows on the BBC now.
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 05 Feb 2016, 11:13

I'm trying to stay as neutral as possible and just watch the first episode. Hoping both top gears are great, Clarkson for the banter, beeb for something new.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 05 Feb 2016, 14:31

To derail this a little, I'm tempted to get Prime Video again. I still have about 5 series of Voyager to get through!
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 05 Feb 2016, 16:56

I'm wondering how it'll be with Matt LB. Hoping it's good - can't really remember what he was like on the show but recall him being quite laid back. Interested to see how he'll do excited or the non Joey stuff, unless he is still partly Joey. Bit like the guy who plays Chandler still having Chandler characteristics even when he was on Graham Norton. Maybe that's why they were cast!

But yeah, also looking forward to seeing how the two different shows compare. Beeb Top Gear is at least going to South Africa!

Tappy wrote:Source of the post To derail this a little, I'm tempted to get Prime Video again. I still have about 5 series of Voyager to get through!

You'd better check it's still on there for 'free'. Lots of stuff has gone off from Prime - either no longer there or now to pay for.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Feb 2016, 00:35

Tappy wrote:Source of the post
EviL Ras wrote:I agree with some of the naysayers that they needed to bring a woman onto the scene to help make the show more diverse!

I think they should just get the best people for the role regardless of gender. I know it's difficult to do in reality because if a woman is hired/cast then there will be people thinking she's just there because of her gender - much like panel shows on the BBC now.

Very much agreed although I'd like to see them get rid of the whole Stig thing and go with something fresh, I've always liked what I've seen of Susie Wolfe on the F1 and think she'd be great as their racing driver now she's retired from F1. I know it's never going to happen as the Stig is now central to the Top Gear brand and it's been extended to that ropey gameshow at the weekend but I feel they should be going for a fresh car show in their own direction rather than replicating the older one.

As for Netflix vs Amazon, I much prefer Netflix as it has profile support, I find it tracks episode progress much better and most simply I find it more accessible - no sideloading required to get it and it supports chromecast. I've also been enjoying a lot of the Netflix original content and it looks like going forward that's the direction they're wanting to invest further in.

I've no interest in whatever the new Top Gear is going to be as I can't stand Chris Evans (I feel he's changed a lot since the days of Don't forget your toothbrush or whatever it was called), I am curious to see what Clarkson and Co do on Prime. I think they can be very good but had dropped into a stale routine on BBC2 so I'm hoping they change might inspire something better.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 07 Feb 2016, 00:50

Yeah, but the LG tv has the app. So i dont mind that amazon doesn't support chromecast as i can still watch it on TV and my tablet and phone.
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 08 Feb 2016, 11:54

I'm curious, is Top Gear/New Car Show really the kind of show people are going to binge watch or go out of their way to watch? I assume I'm in the minority but Top Gear has always been a bit of fluff telly to watch whilst doing the ironing. Having to have another subscription and use a separate app to see this new Clarkson show seems like more effort than it could possibly be worth, for me at least.

I have a feeling both new shows will start off being very similar to the current Top Gear format with it being so popular globally. I would like for there to be a more in-depth motoring show, when Clarkson & Co did the more journalistic segments, like the Ayrton Senna tribute, or the celebration of British car manufacturing they were incredibly engaging. James May's Cars of the People is currently scratching that itch, being both entertaining and informative.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 08 Feb 2016, 14:20

scarbunny wrote:Source of the postI would like for there to be a more in-depth motoring show, when Clarkson & Co did the more journalistic segments, like the Ayrton Senna tribute, or the celebration of British car manufacturing they were incredibly engaging. James May's Cars of the People is currently scratching that itch, being both entertaining and informative.

Agree. Which is surprising why Top Gear has now hired Eddie Jordan. Instead of filing that role with James May's car journalism know-how, they've concentrated on replacing James May's outlandish fashion sense and general weirdness!

Return to “The Salmon Pond”