Cycle chat

Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Cycle chat

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Aug 2019, 21:44

I have to laugh at the optimism on my last post as to put it mildly, that didn't go to plan. I decided on my setup for my LEJOG attempt and bought what I needed then started work on my route and booking my overnight stays but started to have cold feet when I was pricing it all up as it was going to be a big chunk of money on top of the rail travel costs. I went out for a ride with a friend to a cafe when it was around 24 degrees celsuis and even though it was a short 30 mile ride, I was surprised how much it was sapping my energy so I took the mountain bike out for another ride with a big hill climb on a 20 mile ride and I was surprised how little energy had for it.

Then to really bury the idea I had a big crash on the road bike when just going across town, the person behind me said I clipped the kerb but I think I was going too fast on the corner, had to lean the bike right over and pedalled so it lifted the rear wheel off the ground, rotated the bike on the front wheel until the rear wheel landed again at which point the bike fell over. From my point of view the bike just suddenly tipped over and I had no time to try and land a bit better so hit my hip hard and got a massive graze on my elbow. Luckily I didn't break anything but was off the bike for a few weeks.

When it came to when I should have left the weather was heatwave was starting and I was finding it hard work even just walking the dog but instead planned a couple of long rides instead. However I've been feeling more and more tired which I was blaming the heat on which clearly wasn't the cause, I thought I might just be unfit so went out on a mountain bike ride which aside from being painfully slow I felt terrible after and got worse each day which ended in a trip to the hospital last night. Thankfully it's nothing bad and they've found the issue is an overactive thyroid which I've started medication for and been able to get out of bed but suspect I won't be doing any decent cycles for a while now if at all this year.
Phalanx - liquid cooled i7 3930K @ 4.2Ghz, 32GB ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/28TB HDD, dual blu-ray, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap

Cycle chat

Postby Replicant » 09 Aug 2019, 06:28

Ahhh crap John. It seems we’re all having some bad cycling luck. At least your issue is known and being sorted now.

Onwards and upwards...
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Cycle chat

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Aug 2019, 03:11

I agree as I'm relieved that it's nothing bad and that I know what it is as initially when I phoned for my results I was told by someone that a GP had checked the results and marked them as ok which made me feel total despair as I was desperate for how to proceed and now I had nothing. Thankfully the GP phoned a couple of hours later and was puzzled at why I'd been told that and sorted everything out promptly. I'm terrible with needles and blood tests as this was the first blood test I've had done since I was 12 so the monthly blood tests are not going to be fun but maybe they will help me deal with needles better, I'll be happy if I'm feeling better.

Kind of annoying my poor summer MTB will likely get pretty much no time out this year as by the time I'm recovered and back to riding fitness it will probably be back to conditions for the fat bike. My friends are planning their annual off road trip round Loch Ness which is a brutal one although I'm thinking now maybe it's a good target to give me something to aim for as I suspect I'm going to have to do a lot of work to get my fitness back.
Phalanx - liquid cooled i7 3930K @ 4.2Ghz, 32GB ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/28TB HDD, dual blu-ray, Dell U2711/HTC Vive

Return to “The Salmon Pond”