Gym + diet, how to balance??

Anything goes here...
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 24 Aug 2016, 16:32

If it's shin splints you've got I remember being told to cycle but pull up on the pedal instead of pushing down to help them. Works the muscle I'm front of the shin. Or just walk on your heels for a bit (straight leg).
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 03 Oct 2016, 08:26

October progress update:
- It's cold in the mornings now
- My left nipple and right knee hurt after my first 10k race @ blenhiem. Managed a PB of 1h03m and did it without stopping so happy for that!
- Weight was steadily coming down before my weekends ended up as a boozy rewards. I'm probably around 5lbs down since August but so far looks like the belly is starting to withdraw
- my training plan went out the window as I tried to focus more on running, have given up the powerplate things and not doing much kettle bells at all.

So October, is going to be about trying to get to the gym or on a run 5 times a week consistently and try and do at least one 10k over the weekends.

Was playing around with stoptober but that's already out the window!
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 04 Oct 2016, 12:25

I dropped booze altogether apart from 1 pint a week on a Friday night and some bottles of alcohol free Becks. Calorie wise you can drink 3 for every normal bottle of beer I seem to recall. You wont get pissed though.

Exercisewise, all I was doing was 2 x 10m early morning rides with High Intensity sections and then a big ride on a Sunday of 25 - 40 miles.
I didn't make huge changes in diet. Dropped crisps altogether and ate very little pizza. It was more about portion control and not stuffing myself.

All of this helped me average a loss of 2.75 pounds a week for eight weeks.

As for the nipple - stick plasters over them to stop them rubbing on your top. Should do the trick.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Oct 2016, 04:12

It's a tough decision but I've decided to try and go with Stoptober ;) I was amused last year because I think Facebook kept prompting me to sign up for it (which shows how well their data collection is working) so I'd been commenting that I'd give it a go, a friend at work asked me how it was going and I'd joked I'd been struggling to avoid a dram at home after a long shift but had abstained so far. She said to me well done and to keep it up as I'll feel the improvements so I had to tell her it was all a joke as I was teetotal which she hadn't realised.

I find this time of year tough exercise wise as the nights are noticeably longer and the weather is definitely feeling a lot colder and once the trails get wet they won't dry out for a while. The last few weeks have been shorts and t-shirt riding on mostly dry trails and from now on it's going to be in darkness, in heavier clothing and constantly getting covered in mud, I was considering signing up for a 24 hour event at the end of the month I've done a couple of times which is a fun event in Fort William but when I reached the sign up page and looked at pictures from the previous events I couldn't stomach the idea of the cold, wet runs through the night.

However the beauty of mountain biking is that the worst part of it is just the thought, once you get out and get going it doesn't matter and you can still enjoy it throughout the winter. I need to sort out the mudguards on the fat bike and just get back into the mud which I'm sure will be fine.

I guess you'll need to find something to stick with as well because as long you keep doing it regularly you'll be able to keep up your fitness drive - I hope the fact you've done really well so far will be a good motivator.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 05 Oct 2016, 07:09

Wise sage Johnmcl7 wrote:However the beauty of mountain biking is that the worst part of it is just the thought, once you get out and get going it doesn't matter and you can still enjoy it throughout the winter. I need to sort out the mudguards on the fat bike and just get back into the mud which I'm sure will be fine.

John

I couldn't have said it better myself. The biggest battle with exercise is getting out of the door. No matter how bad the weather turns a ride on the bike never fails to bring a smile or two.
Y.N.W.A.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”