What Film have you just watched? 2016+

Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Sep 2016, 00:54

There's a local theatre cinema which is generally great anyway as the seats are big and comfy, the cinemas aren't that big and there's no masses of nachos/hotdogs etc. either. They're also good at showing older films and I agree, it's awesome seeing some of my favourite films again on the cinema particularly when it's such a good cinema.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby jurassicjim » 23 Sep 2016, 08:48

Yeah, theres a couple of small independents near me which do a similar thing. I get free tickets at Vue cinemas each week though, so I'm kind of reluctant to spend money on tickets elsewhere when I know I can get them for free. Unfortunately that VUE don't do more stuff like that. Would be nice if they just dedicated even their smallest screen to a showing of an old classic each say at 1930 or something.

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 13 Nov 2016, 23:26

Finally saw Minions today. A couple of very funny laugh out loud moments for me but otherwise an okay movie.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 13 Nov 2016, 23:27

I saw doctor strange recently. very good!

Sausage party. So so. funny but crude!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 20 Nov 2016, 01:13

Kubo and the 2 strings. Incredible stop animation film. Very good story about a boy and his stories.

Also Bridget Jones baby for the missus. Was also quite funny and not too bad.

And finally ghost in the shell 1995. Still holds water after 21 years! Looking forward to the live action version!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 22 Nov 2016, 00:18

Flash Gordon!

Terrible in such a great way!! B movie done right! And so Catchy!

"I love you flash, but there's only 14 hours to save the world! "
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Nov 2016, 22:56

Is Ghost in the Shell on any streaming services or somewhere else you watched it?

I've not been watching any films although I'm tempted to watch Jack Reacher again after reading One Shot (I can feel Ras' death glare from here), there's obviously some simplification and a bit more action orientated in the film but on the while I thought they did a good job of converting the storyline to a film. The one part that did surprise me though (Jack Reacher, One Shot and The Enemy spoilers):

Spoiler:
In the film he shoots the Zec at the end which seems to fit as he realises the Zec will never be brought to true justice, it's not dissimilar to the previous book in the series where he shoots the rogue general in cold blood as he believes he won't get proper justice either. But in One Shot the Zec survives and gives a confession which felt a bit out of place and I was waiting for Reach to execute him but it doesn't happen.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 23 Nov 2016, 09:32

I dont mind jack reacher if I make peace with the fact they picked a very short man to play the role!

I had to torrent it as its only on amazon/google play for a fee. which seems daft! Its 25 years old!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 23 Nov 2016, 14:48

Ghost In The Shell is on Netflix John, which is why I'm guessing you have to pay on Amazon :)

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Nov 2016, 23:32

What I find odd about the Jack Reacher books is that while the author talks about how big and muscular Reacher is, no-one ever seems to think twice about taking him on and when he does fight he never seems to use brute force and instead relies on thinking smart. It's possibly because I saw the film first but I find it hard to think of Reacher as a big guy, there was one in particular where a pair of bouncers went to knock him off and again didn't think it was an issue despite his size and rather than beat them up with raw force, Reacher took each of them down in a single blow with a strategically placed elbow to the side of the head.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Nov 2016, 23:32

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post Ghost In The Shell is on Netflix John, which is why I'm guessing you have to pay on Amazon :)

j

Thanks Jim, will have a look.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Dec 2016, 17:11

After not watching films for a while I watched a fair amount on my various plane trips starting with X-men Apocalypse which was as expected pretty rubbish, it's just hard to believe it's the same person that produced X2 and it seems to have gone pretty wrong since First Class which at the time seemed a fresh start. The Quicksilver scene was pretty ridiculous but easily the highlight of the entire film.

I thought I'd give Force Awakens a go and I really don't get why people like the film, I knew it was similar to the original Star Wars films but I didn't realise it was near identical but with a daft plot and ridiculous coincidences.
Spoiler:
From the massively upgraded Star Destroyer that was crippled with a single shot on its turbolaser battery from a TIE Fighter (I assumed it was a derelict ISD of some form as many were in that day), the emo dark jedi, the Stormtrooper who only realised he was the bad guy after years of training (just like the Mitchell and Webb sketch), you learn the force just by thinking about it and that starkiller base...ugh. If I wanted to watch the original Star Wars films, I'd watch the original Star Wars films rather than a dodgy copy that doesn't do any of it as well nor uses dodgy CGI to completely ruin the feel of the ships - the Falcon was a freighter not a stunt ship and similarly the X-wings traded their speed and manoeuvrability to give them shields, torpedo launchers and a hyperdrive system against the minimalist but very agile TIE Fighters.

After watching Narcos on Netflix, The Infiltrator was a good watch - Bryan Cranston plays an undercover agent trying to track down where the money from the drugs is going and I hadn't realised until the end it was based directly on real events.

I didn't think 10 Cloverfield Lane was my thing, it sounded a bit boring but it was very well done - a young lady leaves a house at the start and appears to have had a fall out with her boyfriend but she's in a car accident and wakes up in a dingy basement thinking she's been kidnapped. However she's been told it isn't safe outside and she's actually been rescued and will have to stay in his bunker as there's been a nuclear/chemical attack, it's paced really well and kept me hooked the entire time.

John
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 16 Dec 2016, 14:41

I went to watch Rogue One last night and enjoyed it. A solid 7.5 out of 10. There was a point where I thought it had started to drag but then it picked up again. I will let John comment on the spacecraft at some point in the future so I don't spoil anything for now. I cant complain as the tickets are only £2.50 at my local cinema on weekdays.

I also saw Hot Tub Time Machine for the first time this week. Standard gross out high jinks type stuff with a retro 80's feel. As I never frequented US ski resorts in the 80's I couldn't comment on the authenticity. Its watchable and a bit of a laugh.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 16 Dec 2016, 17:03

No plans to go see Rogue One, I thought Force Awakens was terrible and going by the Rogue One trailer it's a similar level of stupidity.

John
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 16 Dec 2016, 20:53

Rogue One is better than Force Awakens.

A friend of mine is a major SW geek and he claims that Rogue One is 2nd only to Empire. I think he is pushing it a bit on that front.
Y.N.W.A.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”