What Film have you just watched? 2016+

Anything goes here...
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 23 Aug 2016, 09:29

Watched Suicide Squad on the weekend. I did think it was okay, but I just listened to a podcast absolutely tearing it apart. I suspect they've done a BvS and made some changes that the comic fans will be annoyed at. I found it engaging enough.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 23 Aug 2016, 11:48

Knew I had forgotten something. Watching Now you see me 2 the other week. Similar to the first - stylish and quite enjoyed it with some funny bits thrown in.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 28 Aug 2016, 02:24

Finally caught Suicide Squad and thought it was good, didn't quick click with it and preferred Batman vs Superman but in general I'm feeling more keen on the DC universe, particularly the darker feel which is a contrast to the marvel universe. Certainly it wasn't anywhere near Deadpool or Guardians of the Galaxy but still I thought there was good elements (I particularly liked the start when it was introducing some of the characters) and good to have another less typical non-superhero film.

Most importantly, they got the audio for the gattling cannon right! It's something that bugs me as most films have completely the wrong audio for gattling cannons which my brother claims is just me being nitpicky but I realised when watching Suicide Squad it's just because a proper gattling cannon sounds so much cooler with that odd brrrrrrrrrrr noise rather than the bang-bang-bang audio they use from a machine gun.

Spoiler:
I thought it was good Batman and Joker were unusually just minor side parts in the film although I did like Batman capturing Deadshot and Harley Quinn at the start. I wasn't keen on the Enchantress' CGI effects at the end, her 'machine' just looked very fake and I don't know why they used a completely CGI model at one for the enchantress when she was in her alternate outfit (the more priestess one rather than the 'dirty' one she had normally). It seemed out of place when a lot of the other effects were pretty good as her normal effect where you couldn't really focus on her properly worked well (very much reminded me of the Chaos demons in WH40K) and the damage left by her brother was a nice effect.

Also watched Safe tonight which is a Jason Stratham action film and there's really nothing more you need to know about it, that's what I was in the mood for and it delivered pretty much exactly as promised.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 28 Aug 2016, 19:02

Watched the latest star wars and ant man last night. Sky cinema is now all hd. So the in laws house finely has some hd channels!

Both films are great!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 29 Aug 2016, 00:50

I gave Sicario a go which is about Emily Blunt being reassigned to a team that's hunting Mexican drug lords but largely kept in the dark about it. Her acting as usual isn't very good although Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro are superb together and the only reason I kept watching the film although it was one of those slow burning films you expect is heading to a great finish and then just finishes without much that seems to have happened.

While flicking through Netflix I spotted Megamind which is an animated feature focusing on the bad guy and his struggles against a Superman type good guy, it's quite a clever film with a lot of little digs and influences from Superhero films and generally amusing.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 29 Aug 2016, 19:24

new point break - if you like the original, don't watch this one.

Tower block - if you've ever seen "the Raid" don't watch this one

Not a great weekend for films then!
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 30 Aug 2016, 11:26

Bad Neighbours - not too bad although had the feeling I had watched some of it before.

Wreck it Ralph again - had totally forgotten that
Spoiler:
turbo was the baddie in Candy world!
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 01 Sep 2016, 16:00

The Campaign - Again, thought I had seen it before and had a few silly, fun moments.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Sep 2016, 22:58

Not sure if this should go in the new films thread or here so will just go for here - this is some new footage of the Inquisitor film, a fan made CGI film which is entirely realtime rendered:

The level of detail is just incredible in just about every scene although the humans don't work well as they're difficult to get right and reduce the overall effect. In Warhammer it's easily possible to avoid humans with exposed skin (power armour, rebreathers etc.) which would make sense to improve the look although there's other issues particularly with the audio. I still think it's extremely impressive though.

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 03 Sep 2016, 20:47

Yeah, I saw this the other day. Looking forward to the longer version, this was really good.

Wish someone would make a proper Warhammer series!

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 03 Sep 2016, 22:01

Non-Stop (Liam Nelson jobby). I liked it. Was pretty er, non-stop!
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 22 Sep 2016, 12:32

Akira.

Was on at a few cinemas nationwide to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Manga Entertainment. I liked it was a little crazier than I had anticipated. Well, 80s Japanese action anime flick. Great score. LOUD.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 22 Sep 2016, 14:28

robbo wrote:Source of the post Non-Stop (Liam Nelson jobby). I liked it. Was pretty er, non-stop!

similar to "crank" or no?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Sep 2016, 16:06

No, it's more a thriller type film.

I watched the Martian which I thought was pretty good overall although I think it would have been better if it had focused more on the Mars side and left the earth side of it as a small part. What spoiled the film quite a bit was firstly casting very well known actors and actresses and some odd choices of those people, the guy from Dumb and Dumber as the head of NASA didn't work at all nor did Sean Bean as they and the many other well known faces made it feel like a film rather than the almost realistic documentary feel the stuff on Mars had. I did like Matt Damon who on the other hand I thought worked well.

I also caught Minions which was fine but nothing special and I don't think took advantage of the potential it had, it just didn't seem to have the fun the Minions added in the Despicable Me films.

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 22 Sep 2016, 16:08

robbo wrote:Source of the post Akira.

Was on at a few cinemas nationwide to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Manga Entertainment. I liked it was a little crazier than I had anticipated. Well, 80s Japanese action anime flick. Great score. LOUD.

I went to go and see this too! It is one of my favourites, but not seen it in a while.

I also thought it was loud! In a good way.

Bits of the soundtrack, especially towards the end really reminded me of Inception, I hadn't made the link before, as I say, haven't see it in while.

Hope they put more stuff on like this, as really enjoyed seeing it on the big screen.

j

Return to “The Salmon Pond”