What Film have you just watched? 2016+

Anything goes here...
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 04 May 2016, 10:31

So here it is guys, the new "What film have you just watched"/"I'm bored and want to post SOMETHING" thread!

Have at it with your short or long thoughts on the latest movies you've seen! It may not be as good as IMDB, but dammit its ours!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby jurassicjim » 04 May 2016, 12:35

Deadpool - thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Witch - slow burner, not as scary as I wanted, but good acting, bit different to what is normally churned out by hollywood in terms of horror. Very interested to see more from the director.

Spotlight - all round excellent! Highly recommended.

j
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 04 May 2016, 14:01

Deadpool - I enjoyed a lot of the scenes and jokes, but I'm not sure I liked the film as a whole. I think it suffers from not being an MCU film proper, as while I tire of the relentless torrent of MCU films they all have something about them that Fox super hero movies lack, but then Disney would never have made a Deadpool film to do the character justice.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 05 May 2016, 07:30

Captain america:civil war. I loved it, wife hated it.

I thought ant man and spidey both did an excellent job! Black panther is kick ass. In the film you understand everyone's point of view. Why they do what they do, and why they think like that. It's nicely paced and the action is top notch! Inifity wars is in good hands!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 05 May 2016, 09:36

I, too, saw Captain America: Civil War and thought it was very good. The dispute between Stark and Cap feels believable (unlike a certain superhero film we could mention), and the action is incredible. Downsides are a weak villain (as we come to expect from Marvel) and their storyline is a bit convenient; and the opening action scene just didn't feel right - as in, it was not edited quite right, can't quite explain it. However, these points aside, few other negative points spring to mind. It does a much better job than Age of Ultron of juggling multiple characters - admittedly, it's a Cap film, so the job is made easier by being able to focus more on one character. The later action scenes in the film are flawless, proving that they can get them right.

And yes, Spidey totally steals the film.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 05 May 2016, 12:37

Captain America

Spoiler:
The wifes issue is with the winter soldier. She thought captain was in the wrong anyway, and that governance is a good thing (she is an auditor anyway!) but when the captain confirms that he knew Bucky killed Starks dad, that was the end for her! She hated him for siding with him over ironman.

Whereas i see Bucky as having diminished responsibility as he was controlled by Hydra. So its not really his fault.
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 06 May 2016, 09:36

EviL Ras wrote:Source of the post Captain America

Spoiler:
The wifes issue is with the winter soldier. She thought captain was in the wrong anyway, and that governance is a good thing (she is an auditor anyway!) but when the captain confirms that he knew Bucky killed Starks dad, that was the end for her! She hated him for siding with him over ironman.

Whereas i see Bucky as having diminished responsibility as he was controlled by Hydra. So its not really his fault.

Spoiler:
Isn't that a good thing? Both sides having compelling arguments such that people can legitimately pick either side. That makes it a good film?! Right?!

Albeit the ones who pick Stark are wrong. ;) Also, Cap didn't know Bucky killed Daddy Stark, he just knew they were murdered. So, yeah, Bucky was mind controlled, and he was already dedicating his life to isolation prior to this to avoid bad things happening again. And, surely, being frozen again at the end is proof that Bucky really wants to atone.

And as far as Cap goes, - let's FanFic the shiv out of this! Cap was probably more friendly with Daddy Stark than Tony Stark ever was so perhaps asked questions and was made aware of the murder when he came out of the freezer. Tony Stark is unstable, as is proved in the film, hence the murder was never revealed to him - all likely part of Nick Fury's plan. Obviously Cap wouldn't side with Stark at that point because he's more about doing the right (good) thing as opposed to the right (legal) thing.

Well, those are my thoughts anyway. Sat just fine with me, seemed very in-character for Cap. Thought Tony was a bit out of character as he had figured out the framing (yeah, Batman, this is how you do detective work) and calmed down and then suddenly leaped into some emotional beast whereas he's normally much more methodical in his reasoning. I guess the writers wanted mummy and daddy getting murdered to be a bigger issue than I appreciated.
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 May 2016, 14:15

Captain America isn't coming to the local theatre cinema until the end of next month so I'm going to wait a bit for that, it was a little tough to avoid spoilers initially but seems to have quietened down now.

I watched Trainwreck which I was curious about after Amy Schumer has been in the press a fair bit and Judd Apatow's stuff is usually watchable although nothing special it was entertaining enough. Amy Schumer plays a fairly self destructive character who's had it ingrained into her at a young age by her dad that monogamy isn't natural so she has rather a lot of one night stands until she meets someone who she actually wants to be with.

I noticed Google Play had 75% off a movie rental and decided to give Hateful Eight a go purely on the basis that it was the newest film there and therefore the best value for money, I'm that big a Tarantino film and it didn't seem to get a great reception but hey a bargain is more important. That said I was surprised to find myself quite taken with it and despite complaints about how long it was, it never felt like it was dragging along which I thought Inglorius was bad for. The bulk of the film is eight people in a cabin increasingly pointing fingers at each other but it's not too complex and the explanation isn't that silly either.

Spoiler:
When checking the cast list I saw that Minnie was listed so I assumed Mexican Bob was telling the truth and Samuel L Jackson was overly suspicious then wrong when he shot him so I was amused to find that it was from a flashback and good old Samuel was right all along.
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 May 2016, 17:17

More John Wick spoilers...actually maybe this doesn't need spoiler tags:

http://imgur.com/gallery/fAlPh
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 06 Jun 2016, 12:24

Went to see Warcraft: The Beginning on the weekend. I've seen rather mixed reviews of this. The critics tend to hate it, but it's tracking with a 94% approval on the audience rating on Flixster so far - but it hasn't opened in the US yet.

I'm with the audience on this. It's not a bad film. It feels quality and not cheesy (unlike other VG movies), and the story is compelling enough to keep you there. I have very little understanding of the Warcraft universe, I know what the cities look like and are called due to WoW, but the lore and the names of characters are beyond me. However, I was able to follow the story. My main criticism would be that it touched on a few too many points without developing them further. In that regard it reminds me of a Jupiter Ascending (or any other young adult film that is trying to build a universe for some sequels). Understandably, this is a massive world with a slew of stories, but in parts you just wanted to spend a bit more time to learn about the people in front of you.

If I were to give it a rating, I would give it a good 7/10. It won't bring balance to the VG films world, but it's a decent action flick nevertheless.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 06 Jun 2016, 13:13

Mystery Men! 1999 film!

I love it! cheesy, tongue in cheek "super hero" movie about people who arent super. They just want to be. My mate hates it, i love it!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 07 Jun 2016, 12:51

Hey, one of them might be super. If he's naked and has his eyes closed.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 29 Jun 2016, 01:43

I finally saw Captain America and can read the spoiler tags above!

Spoiler:
Needless to say I thought it was a great followup to the Winter Solider and I didn't how long the film was until reading information about it afterwards, it kept a fairly decent pace throughout. The Russo brothers and Chris Evans have done a terrific job taking the Captain America character from a fairly dull one to pretty much stealing the show, I like that the character has convincingly evolved during the films and while his stance against the authorities seems odd I thought it was convincing in the film.

Tony Stark felt a bit weak in comparison and didn't really get enough screen time to b convincing as it seems too convenient there are several events that trigger his change of heart for the film particularly when in Ultron he seemed to show no guilt about Ultron and despite the colossal failure tried to do the same later on in the film with Vision. I don't think it helped that it was clear with Bucky he was entirely mind controller and had no choice of his own rather than say, he'd been told to hijack the car and take the contents but decided himself to be more brutal and kill Tony's parents.

War machine does nothing for me, I'm still not warming to Falcon and I didn't think the Scarlet Witch worked at all as her powers look too fake and the actress is poor. I'd liked to have seen more of the Vision as I think he has a lot of potential to explore him but he's largely on the side, I'm normally not a an of Hawkeye or Jeremy Renner but I felt he needed more screen time as it felt odd he just threw away his family to help the Cap out but we didn't really see why. I thought Black Widow was strong again and I liked that she just wasn't completely black and white, left a little unsure which side was right after they start fighting each other. I liked Black Panther who worked well without a pointless origin story. I'd completely forgotten about Ant Man being in the film and thought his touch of humour was welcome.

Spiderman I thought didn't work at all and I don't know why they put so much time, money and effort into him after the recent failed reboot and when other films like Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool have shown lesser known characters can do well. Aside from it being annoying to have yet another Spiderman, I didn't like the CG effects which just looked too take and spoiled some of the otherwise excellent fight scenes.

The 'villain' was a bit odd in how minor he was but I liked the fact he didn't take much screen time from the more interesting Avengers and I thought the twist at the end where he'd killed the winter soldiers was particularly good as I was concerned they'd be unleashed, the Avengers would stop them and all would be good again. Leaving the Avenger's 'broken' was a much better way to finish it and it meant the events in the film meant so much more and left deep scars that would not be easily healed. I also liked the lack of a 'big fight' which I thought was a mistake in Avengers 2, a fairly brutal close combat was easily more effective than the boring finish to Ultron. The Vision shooting down War Machine was a nice touch and a clever trick in the advert to make it look like Bucky had shot him.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 30 Jun 2016, 12:25

Where did you get to see it, John? Is it still in cinemas up there? I really want to see it again but it's disappeared from my local cinema and not out to buy for a while.

Went to the cinema to see X-Men: Apocalypse a few weeks back. Not that good tbh - well certainly not as good as First Class or Days of Future Past. The cast was good though. In particular Sophie Turner did a great job. Otherwise it was the same story that we've seen before, but suffered from not knowing if the new kids were supposed to be the focus, or the old cast were.

I also watched two of those Divergent films, which had me questioning the entire premise for the film throughout. I'm not sure if I was supposed to do that and thus be more emotionally invested in the main character - who is normal - but instead I just thought it was too... doesn't-make-sense.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 30 Jun 2016, 13:14

Watched Eddie the Eagle last night. Good, but not amazing. But worth watching, even though its only 5% real apparently!

Also the remastered fifth element. Awesome and crispy looking in 1080p from the download!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14

Return to “The Salmon Pond”