What Film have you just watched? 2016+

Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Oct 2017, 23:40

While flicking through Sky Cinema curiosity got the better of me and I put on the last Resident Evil film which as expected was pretty awful. Some of the ideas and set designs were pretty good but it struggles to balance the silliness of the games and the live cast in the film, Ian Glen (Jorah Mormont on Game of Thrones) is just absolutely awful.

At the other end of the spectrum I was round helping out a friend and his kids so got roped into watching Lion King which I watched a lot when I was younger and haven't seen for a long, long time. I hadn't realised it was James Earl Jones that voiced Mufasa and Rowan Atkinson nor just how big the film was and never really been matched since until Frozen.

My brother gave me documentary called McLaren which is about Bruce McLaren, a racing driver and engineer who is the namesake of the McLaren racing team. I was surprised that despite being reasonably familiar with F1, I didn't know anything about him aside from a passing mention when watching a Ford documentary as he drove one of the winning Fort GT 40's. He was quite a remarkable individual first drawing attention for his driving ability then more so for his engineering ability, Ford highly valued him as a test driver in the GT40's as he was able to provide useful feedback in improving the car. He designed and built F1 cars, Indy 500 and also a race series I hadn't heard of called Can-am - this was an F1-esque racing series but with no rules or limits on the engines which could be as powerful as they could make them. The series was generally badly one sided with a single manufacturer often dominating for several years but it was still popular for the spectacle of the powerful cars. Porsche broke McLaren's Can-am winning streak with the now legendary 917 which at one point was running with a 5.4 V12 producing 1,600 bhp and still one of the most powerful engines ever in track racing. Porsche also tried an even bigger engine with 16 cylinders but drivers didn't like the effect on the handling with the car needing to be longer to accommodate the huge engine.

Now it's out on blu-ray I watched Guardians of the Galaxy V2 which is still visually impressive but doesn't stand up well to another viewing.

I also went back to the cinema to watch Blade Runner 2049 as I was keen for a friend to see it who couldn't come the previous week, he'd been a bit evasive about going but I think that's because he was worried it was going to be a sequel similar to the Force Awakens even though I tried to convince him it's nothing like it. When I first watched Blade Runner it was a film I didn't think I'd be that bothered about watching again for a while as I'd know what happens but actually I was glad I went to see it again, above all else what I think the film does extremely well is really taking you into the Bladerunner universe and feeling you're part of it.
Spoiler:
Even knowing K is about to be told he's not the child doesn't really spoil it as it's still a great scene as the leader of the replicants comforts him and then his dismay at realising that his Joi wasn't special either and was just saying what he wanted to hear. Then it's balanced by his decision to go get Deckard with a simple but effective fight which is a welcome relief to the big CGI battles and finally K's smile and happiness when he takes Deckard to the Stelline laboratories and lays down in the snow.
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 20 Oct 2017, 14:29

arrgg, need to find my copy of bladerunner so I can watch both.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Oct 2017, 21:10

You definitely need to watch the first one before seeing 2049 as it's not just a film set in the same universe, it very much follows on from the story of the first.

I watched Wonderwoman and even with low expectations thought it was a poor film as it's long and not that much really happens, when it finished I just felt that was it? Despite the length of the film it doesn't give that much insight into the background of Wonderwoman and a lot of the action has dubious slow motion and dated CG effects which makes the various superpowers look very fake. It's a remarkably similar film to Captain America with an innocent character dragged into the horrors of war and leads a small group of soldiers to take out a big target, like Captain America it doesn't really hit the mark. Captain America on the other hand has much better special effects particularly in Winter Soldier where they've managed to make his super strength and agility much more convincing.

Edit: 8000 posts, woohoo!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Dec 2017, 04:28

I've not been watching many films recently but when browsing Sky I decided to give Passengers ago which is a sci-fi film based on a starship which is carrying 5,000 passengers in suspended animation on a hundred year voyage to a new planet to colonise. Something goes wrong though and Chris Pratt is woken up 90 years early to an empty ship and is unable to go back into hibernation.

I was impressed with the design of the ship and its various interfaces including a rather nice touch that the computer interfaces in the film were actually partially functional so that when the cast pressed buttons on the screen, it would react to that rather than animating it in afterwards. Unfortunately the rest of the film is just terrible with a daft story riddled with awful plotholes and a not great choice of Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence who feel out of place. I did keep on watching it for the mystery of what is happening but really wished I hadn't as it's not worth it at all.
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 18 Dec 2017, 14:12

Well I went to see Star Wars at the weekend and both my son and I decided that it was better than The Force Awakens.

Without talking about the plot - two things stood out for me:
    You can see where Disney's merchandising team have been at work.
    There were quite a few jokes, particularly in the first part of the film.

I'll say no more for now until a few of you have seen it.
Y.N.W.A.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 19 Dec 2017, 11:14

Dec 28th for me. Its after xmas and the first date we get half price perkbox tickets! And of course my 40% off nandos discount!

Heard some glowing reviews frmo the team and also someone who said he prefered force awakens. But i wont let him talk to me about it til after xmas!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 19 Dec 2017, 13:03

My local cinema is only £2.50 on weekdays and £3.50 on weekends.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Dec 2017, 22:07

That's a bargain, my local theatre cinema does cheaper £6 at times which is cheaper than the Vue Cinema which is why in general I find myself less likely going to see the cinema these days.

Last film I went to see was Thor: Ragnorok which I thought was well worth the trip as it's similar to Guardians in the Galaxy in that it doesn't take itself too seriously and doesn't follow the usual Marvel script and instead is bright and creative. It manages the balance between being a bit more light hearted and not being too silly and while the main plotline gets shoved aside a bit, it's for the better of the film though and it finishes well.

As I was in the superhero mood I fired up Suicide Squad which I thought wasn't bad on the first viewing but it seemed quite a bit worse on another viewing, I don't know if I was feeling more generous at the time or after watching Thor it just seems worse but there seems little of appeal to it. What's puzzling is that within the last few weeks, the director has said he shouldn't have cut so many of the Joker scenes despite the fact Jared Leto's joker was not well received and the film would have been better to have had a lot less of him.

Going completely the other way I fancied some classic Leslie Nielson and watched Wrongfully Accused which is a Naked Gun style take on Harrison Ford's the Fugitive and is just completely silly from start to finish. It'a a shame no-one else is able to do that sort of film even though many have tried.

I was watching a couple of documentaries on Netflix, first up which was Williams which is a documentary on the Williams family behind the F1 team. It mostly focuses on the early years of Frank and his wife Ginny which is told by Frank, Claire Williams and through tapes of Ginny Williams and goes a little bit into the F1 team but mostly the family and it does a really good job of it, I wasn't too bothered about it from what I read of the description but it was recommended to me and it's well worth the watch.

The other one I watched was Icarus which is a bit of an odd one, an amateur cyclist who takes part in one of the toughest amateur cycle races there is decided he would have a go at taking illegal performance drugs to see how much of a difference it would make. He gets involved with a Russian Doctor who is closely involved with the Russian drug testing but it quickly all goes pear shaped when the Russian doping scandal explodes and the Doctor he is working with is right at the centre of it all. The Doctor decides to escape Russia with the help of the film director and then helps him through the mess of it, it's quite staggering the scale of the Russian doping scandal and what went into it.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 20 Dec 2017, 08:25

I completely forgot I saw Thor at the cinema! That was a great fun movie! Nice to see doctor strange again! Looking forward to black panther now!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 Dec 2017, 01:12

The Dr Strange part was another nice little touch to the film, I'm not sure about Black Panther as I was entirely disinterested initially as it looked like another questionable origin story with the frustrating bad guy that's the same as the hero however it looks like they're not giving away much in the trailer and it has the potential to be something quite different.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 29 Dec 2017, 14:36

Star wars! And you know what, I liked it! yes, it has some plot holes and some weird science. But overall I enjoyed seeing the movie for the first time! I doubt it will rank in a top 3 anytime soon, but it's still decent!

Although its a testament to just how good rogue one was that it still beat this for me!

Also caught hidden figures on sky. utterly brilliant and had us in tears in places. How the world was ever that backwards is simply heart breaking.
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Dec 2017, 03:35

I did give in and actually watched Rogue One which I thought was a lot better than the Force Awakens and thought they did a good job capturing the feel of the older films in the design of the sets and the ships, in particular the fighters and bombers didn't have the stupidly over acrobatics the Force Awakens had. I thought the characters were better developed and much more to them than the shallow and irritating ones in Force Awakens. I liked the concept of the rebellion and how far they should go when their backs are against the wall, it's where Deep Space Nine was at its strongest although it gets far too little time and quickly forgotten. That said the need to tie it to the original Star Wars films really spoilt the film as you know from the moment it starts exactly what's going to happen which is a shame given the end is done well, along the way there's far too many ham fisted references to Star Wars IV and the CG Tarkin was truly awful - he didn't need to be in the film, he should have been cut out the moment that CG was seen. Vader was awful as well particularly 'that' scene at the end which seemed a horrible fan fict addition which just didn't fit in at all.

I have been curious about Last Jedi as those that seemed to like Force Awakens seem more likely to dislike Last Jedi but not sure it's worth bothering with.

I haven't been watching many films at the moment apart from Logan Lucky which is just out on blu ray and sort of a red neck version of Ocean's Eleven, I thought it wasn't bad but nothing that great either.

John
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 30 Dec 2017, 18:04

I watched Rogue One again yesterday. I like it but there are small things that grate a little.

One example being how easy it was for the X-wings to take out an AT-AT when compared with the trouble they had on Hoth which comes later in the time frame.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Dec 2017, 19:36

Replicant wrote:Source of the post I watched Rogue One again yesterday. I like it but there are small things that grate a little.

One example being how easy it was for the X-wings to take out an AT-AT when compared with the trouble they had on Hoth which comes later in the time frame.

It wasn't X-wings they used on Hoth, it was the snowspeeders they used instead which were designed for ground attack but were not as heavily armed as the X-wings. It's something that really annoys me about the new films is that the older ones realised that a vessel designed for deep space would not work in an atmosphere and vice versa for a craft designed for atmospheric use however in the new films that's all ignored and even big capital ships can rather ridiculously go low into the atmosphere.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 31 Dec 2017, 18:00

Oops yes of course. Silly me! :oops:
Y.N.W.A.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”