What Film have you just watched? 2016+

Anything goes here...
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 23 May 2017, 09:16

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on the weekend. As good as the first imo. Some very, very funny parts. Also, very much a stand alone movie - few references to the MCU.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 23 May 2017, 10:20

saw that the other day too. I understand why people gave the first one an A and this a B+.

Its good, but not quite as good as the first one. The comedy is more slapstick. The storyline very contained.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 May 2017, 18:19

I saw GOTG v2 as well and thought it was a good watch but not much beyond that, I was disappointed after the opening it's a pretty straightforward storyline.
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 30 May 2017, 17:55

Black Mass. Johnny Depp and loads of others famouses in a real-life crime drama from a couple of years ago. Enjoyed it although had to pause every now and then to go over what was happening/had happened.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Jun 2017, 01:59

I've been assembling a Lego Tydirium which even though it's the smaller one was still 154 pages long so had a few films on the mean time.

First up was Kubo and the two strings which comes from the same studio that did Coraline and similarly is a stop motion animated film. This time it's a story about a young Japanese boy living in a rural area living a very sheltered life with his increasingly distant Mum set a good while in the past. It all goes wrong and Kubo ends up on a quest to find mythical armour set and weapon armed with his magical two string instrument. The story isn't bad although I was a bit disappointed by the ending and the stop motion is a bit odd, I've always thought Coraline looked great, almost magical with the way it was animated but Kubo seems more like a pseudo CGI. I checked and found it was properly stop motion animated but just doesn't seem it.

As I was assembling the Tydirium I felt I needed to watch Return of the Jedi which was mostly good aside from Robot Chicken having spoiled it a little as there's so many characters at the side or similar that remind me of some silly sketch particularly the Emperor. Still a great film of course even knowing exactly what's coming, Luke's savage attack on Vader as he loses control, the Emperor's taunting and the Assault Frigate broadsiding the ISD as they exchange turbolaser fire are all still great. I had forgotten about some of the truly stupid new additions such as the 'noooooo' when Vader decides to save Luke, I still can't believe they did that.

I had a flick through Amazon's film selection and came cross Imitation Game which features Benedict Cumberbatch as Alan Turing during WW2 when he made his first electromechanical code breaking machine to break the German Enigma system. It's well rated but I didn't think much of it as it's a long film at two hours but I didn't really feel it did much of interest as it doesn't go into much detail of the machine or how it came together and it's filled with flashbacks and flashforwards which I found irritating. I thought it also suffered badly from having well known actors/actresses in all the main roles which immediately spoiled the feel of the film particularly as many of them are playing similar roles - Tywin Lannister is back as a commanding asshole who takes no crap, the sort of secretive Q guy from Kingmans is a secretive Mi5 guy and Watchmen's genius Ozymandias is a genius helping working on the machine.

Onto Netflix I found a documentary called Betting on Zero which is about an American Pyramid company called Herbalife which I hadn't heard of but it's a big company who have somewhat questionable business practices. They offer healthy nutritional drinks and similar but their money appears to be made from getting more people to sell the product rather than actually sell the product itself. It's mostly about the company going through how they work and speaking to people who have been caught out by Herbalife, there isn't really much in the way of what actually happens but as someone not at all familiar with it I still found it watchable.

Finally also on Netflix I watched Silicon Cowboys which I'd highly recommend for people on the forum here as it's a documentary about Compaq from the very beginning and mostly features on their early years as they went from a tiny player to a market dominated by IBM to eventually becoming one of the biggest parts of a market which had been rapidly changing and evolving. I came to the whole PC thing relatively late on in comparison with a early Pentium era Cyrix 686 system as the first family PC and even then, without internet I wasn't really aware of what was going on until later so it was great to have a more detailed view of the history of the PC's and what the introduction of the IBM PS/2 and Warp really meant for the market at the time.
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well

Return to “The Salmon Pond”