MAMIL Matt - struggling on a bike lane near you soon

Anything goes here...
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 04 Jun 2016, 23:19

brambles and thorns from freshly bushwacked bridal paths / "historic roman roads"
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 11 Jun 2016, 20:16

I don't know if there's much choice in tougher tyres for running off road as brambles and thorns will generally rip though off road tyres, I'm not sure how much difference the puncture proof tyres make on the road - I had a toughened rear tyre on the hybrid which I didn't get a puncture on but then my road bike had crappy tyres and despite a lot of miles it only had the odd nail through the tyre.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 14 Jun 2016, 05:58

When I first used to ride off road, many moons ago, I used cross country tyres and was always getting a puncture. But as I became an avid downhiller I changed to much tougher tyres and as a consequence saw a massive drop in punctures.

One little time saver i do is to line up the inner tube valve with where the name is painted on the side of the tyre. This helps you to quickly locate where to check for thorns etc on the inside of the tyre.

Its all part of the fun of riding, unless its pissing down.
Y.N.W.A.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 20 Mar 2017, 23:04

scarbunny wrote:Source of the post So it's been 6 months hows the cycling going Matt?

I'm half tempted to think about maybe starting to look at researching getting a mountain bike. But I'm not sure I can be bothered or afford it.

Right it's been a year and I'm thinking about getting a bike again, but I don't know where to start really.

Is it worth spending £450ish quid on a decentish hardtail, which would do me longer term if I stick with it but a huge waste when I don't, or just buy some sub £100 Tesco job that I won't really care about when I give up but is probably more likely to put me off?

Looking at this one maybe, the 2016 version was MBRs 2016 bike of the year under £500.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... prod147646

Would a 29er be a better option at £450, same brand and price as above?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitu ... prod147648

So where does an unfit fat lad with a duff knee start? preferably in a way that is actually going to stick.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 Mar 2017, 02:43

In what way is your knee painful? My concern with cycling is that my knees are fine but I find cycling is hard on my knees, if my knees are a bit sore and I go cycling they can then really hurt even on the road bike where it's more consistent pedal strokes rather than lumpy heavy strokes it often is with mountain biking. Have you done any cycling recently? If there's any hire options even just for a road or hybrid bike I think it would be well worth trying out as that should give you a much better idea how your knee will be.

In terms of bikes, I wouldn't go any cheaper than the ones you've listed as those are decent hardtails and any cheaper is likely not to be much good. My first proper MTB was an ex-hire Trek 4900 (2012 I think) which had similar spec, Suntour fork, 3x10 Deore/SLX drivetrain and Deore brakes. I got on well with it and rather hilariously have ridden stuff on it I've never managed on my newer better bikes as I've never been able to get my confidence back. I don't know if there's any second hand market you can check as there's often cheap and decent mountain bikes for sale particularly as people pick them up on Cycle to work, never use them and sell them pretty much as new.

John
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 22 Mar 2017, 11:34

My knee pain is caused by my inner quad having all but atrophied away in the years since I broke me knee/femur, and my outer quad being overly tight due to the surgical scaring which pulls my patella off to one side, and my Posterior Cruciate Ligament having being reattached in such a way that there is a little more play in the joint than there should be, along with a little arthritis for good measure.

I did put a good few miles in on the exercise bikes at the gym and the only real pain came from my thigh muscle catching on the extra bone growth on my femur around the fracture site after the first mile or so, but stretching that out normally resolved it and everything moved pretty freely from then on. However that was 18 months ago and I gave up the gym as I was spending more time recovering than exercising, I'd go Monday and it would be Thursday/Friday before the pain was back to a level I felt I could go again, compared to when I started every other day was fine, and I favoured the recumbent as it was easier to watch Netflix.

Actually, now that's jogged my memory of why I stopped the gym maybe spending £400+ on a bike is a terrible idea. I will see about taking your advice John and renting one for the day to see how I hold up first.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 22 Mar 2017, 16:42

I'll see how much money I have after this month before looking at bikes. I really want one but keep deciding not to get one. I miss riding a bike. The arse pain for the first few days not so much though... :lol:
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 22 Mar 2017, 16:44

I'm likely to have a crosstrail for sale soon chris / Robo - good price! :)

How terrible an idea would it be to sell the hyrbid and put it towards this?

https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p83648 ... ntain-bike (looking to price match at £480)

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... -14-48763/

commute I think I can manage on it as it's only ever going to be 4-5miles tops and cycle path all the way so the lockout forks would be a bonus..
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 24 Mar 2017, 10:46

Um, what's a crosstail?
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 24 Mar 2017, 13:38

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... 7985153031

jack of all trades bike, not as quick as road bike, not heavy duty enough for downhill but a pretty solid commuter.

you should defo buy it!
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 04 Apr 2017, 12:13

So I'm hoping bike to work opens again soon. What bike mountain bike would you get for under £1k?

This caught my eye as it had fat tyres and was black:
https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p83112 ... ntain-bike

if they price match would be in budget:
https://www.evanscycles.com/charge-cook ... aAodlaUKmA

I want something I can take off road that won't kill me on the commute. I'm not going to be doing any distance biking now that I run and my commute is 3-4 miles so not too much of a concern either.

Pretty sure the crosstrail days are numbered.

after watching this, it looks like it'd be a rubbish comuter unless I pumped up the tyres and then adjusted them for the weekends:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOPrzIOoAD8

I'd get fitter though!
Thanks, Matt.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Apr 2017, 02:09

When you were at the trail centre, did you try riding a proper MTB? If not I think it would be worth doing a day out on a hire bike or see if you can get out on a demo day and try some different bikes as it comes down to what you like the feel of. I was out a group ride one night and there were around eight of us and I was amused to notice none of the bikes were similar, we had 26, 27.5 and 29 wheels, normal, plus and fat tyres with rigid, hard tail and full suspension frames - everyone rode the same trail and liked their choice of bike despite them all being different.

27.5+/650b+ bikes/wheels are pretty new and still settling down, there's not a great range of options at the moment compared to other standards so they can be pricier and some plus bikes are not much bigger than standard 27.5/650b bikes. The bigger tyre offers more traction and can soak up a bit more of the terrain which is useful if you ride a lot on natural trails that are pretty rough. They're not great for commuting although mountain bikes in general are not great for commuting, the bigger 29er's are seen as better for that sort of use and fast as XC/Trail bikes although they're not a huge difference to 27.5ers for normal riders.

I started off with a fairly standard 26in Hardtail with Shimano entry level Deore brakes/drivetrain and a Suntour 100m coil fork. The suspension fork was apparently not a good one but my understanding of suspension is that it's either squishy or not squishy, I don't get all the talk about rebound speed, dampening, unsuitable stanchions etc. I'm not sure it's worth spending twice as much on a hardtail for £1000 when you're not one hundred percent sure on what you want, if you do like the cheaper bike you can use money to upgrade parts, change the cockpit parts or buy a separate pair of tyres for commuting (that makes a huge difference running on the road)

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 10 Apr 2017, 09:48

John et al,
are there places you can go to try a number of bikes? I can hire a bike from here:
https://www.swinleybikehub.com/hire/

but it's just a rental place and not sure it will give me much of an idea of the different set ups.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Apr 2017, 21:43

You're best to have a look to see if there's any local demo days which may be offered by a local bike shop, organised by a trail centre, manufacturer etc. - it's worth having a look to see if there's any big bike FB groups around you as they're normally useful for that sort of thing. It's a good time of year for it as the weather is getting better now is the time the companies and shops want to get some sales in, as an example a local bike shop has a demo day event here at one of the local trail centres where you pay £20 and can try a variety of bikes.

That said though, a lot of bikes on demo days will be fancier models as the manufacturers want to show off what they have and if you're sticking under £1000 then you're not going to have a huge range of choice anyway - it's mainly going to be down to a hardtail or squeeze in a full suspension bike. That bike place actually looks pretty good for hire as that's likely the three sort of bikes you'd be considering (cheap hardtail, better hardtail or FS) so it may be worth looking into. My first mountain bike was an ex-hire hard tail, nothing at all fancy (coil fork, 3x10 Deore gearing and Deore hydraulic brakes) but rode it for the best part of a year and was a good start to mountain biking. It was certainly a capable bike and rather hilariously I've ridden stuff on that better than any of my fancier bikes as I've never been able to get my confidence back.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 11 Apr 2017, 15:04

I'm off to swinley this Friday to try my friend's diamondback Myers 2016. He was happy with the 27.5 set up and so will give me a good starting point. I doubt I'd be able to understand what I'm missing in that set up anyway so if I like it, gives me a starting point to go from. Are 29ers more towards the taller fellow?

He'll be on a full suspension so hoping to switch it up too although there is nothing in our £1000 cap that I can see being viable if I did prefer it:
https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p96305 ... ntain-bike
https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p97060 ... ntain-bike

In other news, I cycled into work today. Huzzah!

Return to “The Salmon Pond”