MAMIL Matt - struggling on a bike lane near you soon

Anything goes here...
matt
Cake
Cake

MAMIL Matt - struggling on a bike lane near you soon

Postby matt » 05 Jun 2015, 13:03

so now time to buy all the gear to match my no idea...

GPS tracking app - will try strava
bike lock - have bought kriptonyte d lock + cable

Next on the toy list:
Helmet - £30? any ideas, I tend to have a larger head

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... tAodNhIAYQ

Mud guard: ?? front and back

Bike rack: ??t to fix on a brick wall securely
iphone 5c holder: not sure I need this yet £20?

this is meant to be saving me money!

What do you guys suggest then?
Fodder
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: MAMIL Matt - struggling on a bike lane near you soon

Postby Fodder » 05 Jun 2015, 19:22

What bike did you get in the end? If 29er or MTB I would go for crud guards, if a 700c wheel then SKS are very good for mudguards.

phone holders - bad idea IMHO. I would always be waiting for it to ping off going over bumps, plus I would rather be looking out for cars, bikes, trees, bushes, drain covers, wet leaves, wet white lines, teenagers, and generally every other tosser trying to kill you.

Helmet - all will be to standard, price just gets you a lighter one or snazzier clips/look. comfort is the main thing here, try before you buy.

rack - lots aroung, personal preference. I hang mine on hooks, they take up less room that way.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Jun 2015, 19:14

This one I think:

http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p73405/ ... ybrid-bike

I agree pretty much exactly with that Fodder has recommended.

I went with a Giro Indicator as my first helmet as I tried a few on instore and it felt fine plus it was cheap.

In most cases I find it handy just recording a ride, having the display on the handlebars is handy at times when I'm doing a longer ride or races where I need to pace myself and need to know my speed and distance. Even at low speed the bars on the bike can hit the ground pretty hard and I wouldn't want my phone on the bars when that happens, I used an Edge cycle computer which is a fairly durable little device that has survived numerous crashes unscathed. Plus even if it was damaged I'd rather it was broken rather than my phone particularly when I may need the phone as a result of the crash.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 17 Jul 2015, 00:17

so... I've broken one of my pedals today in the local forest. Cheap plastic things so there were.

Any ideas what to get next. Happy to cheap and standard again but thought you might have some ideas too.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/parts/p ... tAod5_AJTQ

?
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 17 Jul 2015, 05:48

For cheapish flat pedals you can't beat Wellgo look here.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... rp-prod665
Y.N.W.A.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 17 Jul 2015, 07:39

Thanks chris, looks like a beefier set of pedals for the same £as above.

I had a quick look last night and realise you can get dual use pedals, flat on side, clips on the other.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... p-prod5937

I'm trying to get a 40k bike ride together in the next week or so and a 60k "pub tour" day by the end of the summer.

Given my use is going to be 95% commuter and longer distance biking and 5% cross country, is it worth going that way?

Not looked at bike shoes yet so if they are a lot then I might skip it for now and look into it next year.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 17 Jul 2015, 09:40

Coming from a mainly downhill background i hate clip in pedals. I love flats with the trainers of my choice rather than overpriced cycling shoes.

More pub friendly too.
Y.N.W.A.
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 17 Jul 2015, 17:27

Sports Direct to dip your toe (pardon pun) in cycling shoes :- http://www.sportsdirect.com/cycling/cycling-shoes

Go for MTB ones, not the hard plastic sole roady ones. SPD system too, not the big triangular roady cleat things. Personally I love SPDs for all the cycling I do, even in the spin classes. I keep meaning to try flatties with grippy shoes but not got around to it.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Jul 2015, 14:39

There's no answer to the clipless vs flat debate, after trying both systems and reading endless amounts of threads on it I'd say that it simply comes down to whether you like the feel of the clipless system or not.

What I would say though is that you don't feel you *have* to have clipless pedals if you want to cover any sort of reasonable distance or at speed. I felt forced into going clipless as I was constantly being told how much faster I would be and how much more distance I'd be able to cover so I went clipless on my road bike. I tried them extensively even going through two clipless systems before giving up on any sort of clip system (the bike had originally used toe clips) and fitted flats which I much prefer as they've allowed me to go faster and further than I ever have done before.

You may well find that you do like the feel of clipless pedals as many people do but don't feel you need them to cover longer distances.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
mrtoddie

Postby mrtoddie » 20 Jul 2015, 15:43

matt wrote:I had a quick look last night and realise you can get dual use pedals, flat on side, clips on the other.

Couldn't think of anything worse!

having to piss about flipping the pedal round all the time!....

I like clipless on my road bike. double sided

I like flats on my mountain bike. although my shins do not...... :lol:

That said I have noticed that with my mountain bike it is a lot more comfortable being able to switch where my foot is in relation to the pedal mid ride.... I have actually done bigger and longer rides on the mountain bike as well... :D

Probably just more comfortable being on 29er wheels (Trek Marlin 7 2015) than the raleigh road bike...
Yeah!
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 20 Jul 2015, 17:34

so I've done the only sensible thing I could think of and invested £2 in these bad boys.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/parts/p ... range-9-16

currently only one is attached too for ultimate style.

I might see the summer out (if I don't break the replacements!) with flats and take it from there next year.

next question as I might be cycling home late on Friday:
Bike lights front and back so that I can see along unlit bike paths.

£10? more?
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 20 Jul 2015, 21:29

I would get good lights, there are some great USB rechargeables out now but they are a bit more than a tenner!
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 20 Jul 2015, 23:24

You've missed a few good deals at sport pursuit on lights and all sorts!

Sign up with this linky and if you buy anything, I'll get a fiver! Will add it to beer funds next time we meet up! :D

http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/1b843e
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 20 Jul 2015, 23:54

any brands to look into or avoid?
mrtoddie

Postby mrtoddie » 21 Jul 2015, 12:42

I use a Cree T6 In the darkness, very very bright.

you do have to Velcro a big battery onto your bike as well to power it but it defo keeps you seen and helps to light your way.
Yeah!

Return to “The Salmon Pond”