What have you bought today - VOL 4

Anything goes here...
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 19 Aug 2016, 23:13

A wireless Plug socket. So i can remotely control the en suite boiler..

Fyi I always recommend that anker 6 port. Its superb.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 19 Aug 2016, 23:21

EviL Ras wrote:Source of the post Fyi I always recommend that anker 6 port. Its superb.

It was a Russ recommended purchase! Steff also said he uses one.
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby jurassicjim » 24 Aug 2016, 11:11

I've got a USB-C version of that Anker, in fact I have two, they are great!

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 28 Aug 2016, 00:16

I've thought about it on and off for a long time but finally decided to get a dropper post for my plus bike:

This allows the seat to be dropped from a button and then raised back up again at the touch of a button, they're all the rage in mountain bikes at the moment although I didn't really get it. I have dropped the seat post manually when I started riding but it didn't seem to make much difference and always a pain to get the seat post back up to the right height but I've been trying to ride the bike better on technical stuff so thought it worth a go. So far quite like the feel of it, since you can easily drop the post I was doing it on each faster sectio n and easy to move around the bike as well.

Also got some new lights now the dark is coming in fast :(

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 30 Aug 2016, 11:24

A 5 in 1 multi-detector! Woo, it has lasers! (distance measurer, cable detection etc)
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Sep 2016, 03:26

With the recent discount on the Surface Pro 4 I was tempted to give one a go but came across the similar Latitude 11 which I decided to go for instead, it's also Core-m powered but managed to nab one a little cheaper off the outlet for £500 and it comes with 8GB memory and 256GB SSD vs 4GB/128GB on the Surface. It has the option of either a slimmer keyboard like the Surface or a deeper keyboard with integrated battery that turns it into a mini laptop although both are expensive, the slimmer one is around £120 while the full one is £200 rrp although seen a few for sale at £150.

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 08 Sep 2016, 09:54

Oooo, wonder how it compares. I always love a bit of extra RAM.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Sep 2016, 12:53

I'm not too fussed about the additional ram as I find 4GB fine on my other machines and even my high performance desktop PC is only running on 8GB ram still without issue. The additional storage space on the SSD could be handy though and what I liked about the Dell was that its keyboard dock has a battery and makes it into a mini laptop. At least Dell have a decent return service if it's not up to much and with the outlet you have to grab a machine while it's there. It's annoying there's no kick stand on the Dell though and I'm surprised it's not something that's become more standard on tablets, it makes a lot of sense to have it.

The reviews slate it for being slow, bulky and expensive - it definitely is expensive from the main site (even on the outlet the Latitude 13 with the same Core-m. 8GB, 256GB SSD plus including the keyboard dock, three year warranty and an LTE card was less than the Latitude 11 on its own) but I think they're unfair on the other two. Size and weight wise it seems similar to the Surface Pro plus I find it strange how hard everyone is on the Core-m, reviewers frequently criticised it for being uselessly slow for high performance cpu tasks like video editing and 3D gaming. Which just seems daft to me as I wouldn't be choosing an 11in tablet as a high performance video editing machine but I wouldn't be choosing a ULV tablet either particularly one that's going to run very hot and noisy trying to cool the ULV processor in a small chassis. I'm kind of glad I stumbled across the Core-m by accident on the Latitude 13 as reading the professional reviews I wouldn't want to touch one with a bargepole, I'm finding these days there's few professional reviews I trust any more.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 09 Sep 2016, 11:00

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/apple-i ... st28727453

went for this. Don't have the spare money to buy it outright and only cost £10 up front as I tried a £15 off voucher and it worked so quite happy with the deal over all.

I liked the sound of the new camera technology in the 7 but can't afford the crazy handset price / monthly so figure the SE is a good compromise for next couple of years and assuming next years phone will be a "big" change, there may be an upgrade option down the line...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 09 Sep 2016, 15:09

Seems a good deal and the SE still has a decent camera on it, although there's the usual boasts about SLR quality from new camera tech they still seem to ultimately suffer a lot of the restrictions small sensors normally have. Also only the plus cameras get the fancier features like OIS anyway so I think the benefit from the SE to the normal 7 is less. I changed from my Sony Z Ultra to the Note 4 for its camera (the Sony sacrificed the camera for its screen) but I've never regretted it, even amongst my much higher cameras the phone camera still takes decent shots.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 09 Sep 2016, 15:17

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post.. even amongst my much higher cameras the phone camera still takes decent shots.

John

Yep, that's why I was trying to convince myself to get the 7 as I really only ever use my mobile to take photos, but then from the 7 you may as well get the 7+ and then I have the phone twice the size I want it and another couple of months on to the car fund saving adventure.

As you say John, hopefully the SE should be a step up from my work 5c and be fine for "most" photos and the Mrs has the 6s plus so on family trips we should be covered both ways.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 09 Sep 2016, 15:30

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post Also only the plus cameras get the fancier features like OIS

The normal 7 also has OIS, is does miss out on the dual camera set up though so no optical zoom.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 09 Sep 2016, 15:57

The 7 has the Sony sensor that the galaxy s7 has for sure!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Sep 2016, 17:17

The Latitude 11 arrived today which is the quickest I've ever had for an Outlet machine from Dell, I only ordered it last week so I don't know if they've changed their process recently or the tablets are stored somewhere different to the PCs. They're usually not even this quick to process the order never mind dispatch it and the last few Outlet machines have been fairly slow, not helped by the courier company not being able to find Scotland and losing the order each and every time.

I hadn't realised the machine is a direct replacement for the Venue 11 Pro 7140, Dell have decided to reposition the range as a business model instead of consumer which makes some sense given the very plain and functional design they use. I did see a Venue 11 Pro also with a Core-m/8GB/256GB SSD but £100 less which was tempting as it's a similar model but decided to hang onto what I have, the new generation Core-m is meant to be faster and the Latitude 11 can use the new keyboard dock which has a backlit keyboard so I've decided to keep it and ordered the new dock for it- handily it is still compatible with the Venue 11 parts as well.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 Sep 2016, 01:12

I got the keyboard for the tablet and I'm not sure I've made the right choice as it's surprisingly heavy on its own never mind when attached to the tablet plus it has a narrow ridge at the back to lift it off the ground. I was a bit baffled by this choice as the tablet part has fairly decent batterylife on its own so it doesn't need a hefty battery in the keyboard and it doesn't need to raise the back of the machine either as there's no heat or fans needing cool air to keep the machine temperature down although I'm wondering now if it's to stop the machine tipping back the way. The bigger Latitude 13 7350 is badly balanced as all the weight is in the tablet section and the keyboard part is flat so it easily tips back which you've got to be careful with when you put it on a table.

I've picked up a little dock for it fairly cheap to keep it on at work so that gets around my USB-C issues for now. Annoyingly after spending a while finding who had it cheapest I was told there was an issue with my order as it couldn't be delivered to the Highlands however while mucking about with the delivery options I noticed if I chose Manchester as my address then I got the collect at store option with Argos and could choose Inverness? Also their delivery method was royal mail who don't differentiate the highlands from the rest of the UK so possibly an error with the seller but anyway, it's arrived at Argos here so that's good.

Also bought some new cycling shorts and a reduced hoody, I almost got caught out as I was just flicking through the checkout process then noticed the total was £80 not £18 as it still had some drivetrain parts I've been pricing up recently. Certainly would have helped make my mind up about them!

John

Return to “The Salmon Pond”