What have you bought today - VOL 4

Anything goes here...
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 27 May 2017, 11:54

Sky Q 2Tb with 1 Sky Q mini box. All getting installed in 2 weeks. Managed to get a deal for £30 for the 2Tb box instead of £100.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 27 May 2017, 20:47

EviL Ras wrote:Source of the post Sky Q 2Tb with 1 Sky Q mini box. All getting installed in 2 weeks. Managed to get a deal for £30 for the 2Tb box instead of £100.

What's your monthly package like, is it still the regular + £12 a month?
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 27 May 2017, 22:32

Yeah. Its -£12 then +£12. so its costs the same. as we dont have multiroom, then you pay the Q cost and get a sky mini box for the bedroom.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 28 May 2017, 01:11

Replicant wrote:Source of the post Bought myself an Easton Havoc Carbon Riser handlebar for the MTB as reduced from £130 down to £60.

Chain Reaction seem to be selling off their stock of Easton components. Top quality stuff.

Mm, you've got me looking at some Easton drop bars for the road bike now. It's quite a harsh ride which isn't helped by very thin bar tape so I've been thinking of putting some new bars on which is a lot of hassle and therefore putting some more expensive carbon bars in the hope of taking out some of the buzz of the road seems worth considering. Then again I'm not so sure how well carbon works in that regard as the bike has a carbon fork and I don't feel like it's doing much to smooth out the ride at all.
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 08 Jun 2017, 21:40

Another bike purchase.

Bought an Easton Havoc stem reduced from£79 to £29. Beautiful piece of CNC engineering and an absolute bargain!

easton havoc stem.jpg
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Jun 2017, 21:41

That seems a pretty daft choice of stem, there's no room to fit your Garmin/Wahoo on there...you'll need to embarrass yourself and use a roadie out front mount ;)

Do you ride that short a stem normally or trying it out? As you say, that's a crazy price.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 08 Jun 2017, 21:54

My old stem is a 90mm one whereas the new one is a 65mm one. The one in the picture is a 50mm. I consider the 65mm to be pretty long and would have preferred 50mm but they had sold out.

A shorter stem is preferable as it sharpens up the steering and pushes your weight rearward a bit. This particularly good on downhill machines.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Jun 2017, 22:07

Ah, the one you've gone for is 65mm? That's what I run on my fat bike/plus bike and find it a good size, my old hardtail was around 90mm/100mm (more old school, had quite narrow bars as well) and much preferred the shorter stem when I tried one although was thinking you were going very short when you posted that picture. Also thinking of shortening the stem on my road bike from 110mm to 70mm to bring the hoods in a bit but while I understand how stem lengths affect mountain bike handling, I'm not so familiar with road bikes and obviously the requirements for it are very different.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 18 Jun 2017, 14:05

I picked up this deck of cards as I thought the design was awesome:

https://www.artiphany.com/products/pack ... ying-cards

After much deliberation I've invested in a wearable gimbal for the bike, one of the reasons I wanted the GoPro Karma drone was for the stabiliser which could be separated from the drone and worn on a harness. It's sold separately however ti's £300, the extension cable needed to use it on the bike is another £100 and it needs a Hero4/Hero5/Hero5 Session as it doesn't work with my GoPro4 Session or the Xiaomi Yi 4k. Clearly far too expensive to even consider but looked at a couple of cheaper options which were properly self contained and better for the mountain bike plus they would work with the Yi 4k. I'm quite excited now because the results I've seen from the gimbals are really, really good making the footage from the bike much more usable particularly as this year I've been doing much better at carrying speed on the bike through the technical stuff.

John
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 11 Jul 2017, 19:38

Well after many months of consideration I have finally purchased a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt cycle gps/computer as it is available for £180 from Wiggle for 'Gold' members. I declined the Amazon Prime offer of £189 for the Garmin Edge 520. Most of the reviews from people who have gone to Wahoo after years of Garmin have said they prefer to stick with Wahoo.

I cannot wait to get it tomorrow and test it now.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Jul 2017, 22:14

I was wondering if you'd made a choice on which GPS you went for and will be interested to hear how you get on with the Wahoo, they seem to have a good reputation. I was surprised at the 520 being £190 for a deal as I paid £180 for mine as the normal price which I think is about right for what it does, looking at the other Garmin units they all seem to have crept up in price. The 520 generally works well for me although I'd occasionally like something that can do decent navigation but that's a relatively rare requirement that I can work around.

I did buy a Pioneer hi-res mp3 player in the Amazon sale which looked like pretty much what I'm after as it's an Android powered mp3 player with decent quality output but a reasonable price in the sale and also with reasonable batterylife unlike most devices in its range. I've been getting into Spotify which isn't great on my Note 4 (I primarily use a Cowon mp3 player for music) but eventually decided to cancel the Pioneer, while it looked to be what I was after and a decent price when I measured it out it was barely smaller than the Note 4 and heavier making it twice the size of the Cowon and double the weight.

I feel rather pleased with myself that I resisted most of the Amazon sale apart from a six port USB charger which I've been needing.

John
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 13 Jul 2017, 15:34

I didn't get anything on Prime Day, there were a few bits that looked reasonable but nothing that I needed or was cheap enough to jump on. I could do with a powerbank thing but Amazon won't deliver over here so might need to do a locker delivery next time I'm in Liverpool.

I did get some new trainers in the Adidas sale, first time I've ever bought Adidas and new trainers when I had a perfectly fine pair already, normally I wait for them to fall apart. Fells odd buying clothes/footwear by choice rather than through necessity.

Also ordered a couple of books that I've no space for, one of which I'm having to import from America as they didn't release the hardcover over here, despite the previous 3 by the author being in hardback.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 15 Jul 2017, 23:55

Thanks to water interfering with my mobile phone screen I ordered a Judge Dredd book apparently.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 Jul 2017, 11:40

My turn to post a cycling bargain, got a set of SLX M7000 brakes for £90 from CRC although would have been £80 if I'd used the promo code. I was going to re-order but the price is suspiciously low for the brakes and didn't want to risk losing it.

John
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 22 Aug 2017, 14:40

just bought Nikki a 2007 audi a4 convertible. Hopefully, a noticeable difference from her old awful clio 1 litre 2002 semi auto that is now on it's way to the scrapper. Wasn't my first choice for a runaround, but secretly proud she saw through my sensible suggestions as I'm hoping it will make a nice weekend car and not turn into a money pit.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”