What TV series have you watched?

Anything goes here...
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 22 Oct 2017, 13:49

Robot wars starts this week. and blue planet 2 next week! what a time to be alive!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Oct 2017, 14:32

Thanks for that, I'd no idea Robot Wars was back already. There doesn't seem to be any rule changes to help the robots that are not spinners but they've changed the format so it's six robots now and less chance of a robot going out for bad luck:

http://www.robotwars.tv/the-show/
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 22 Oct 2017, 15:19

Yeah, looking forward to watching the battles again given that the robots are so strong now days! Will spinners still be on top this year?
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Oct 2017, 17:34

With no rule changes I'd be surprised if the spinners aren't on top again, I think it was the Tornado team that said one of the reasons they weren't coming back is because designs like theirs didn't scale up whereas it's clearly suited the spinners very well. I can't really see any other design that could stop the one that won it last time.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Oct 2017, 01:04

Reasonable enough start to the series for Robot Wars,
Spoiler:
I was sorry to see Apollo go out so soon but pleased to see Behemoth get through. Apollo looked extremely difficult to drive as it seemed very twitchy and difficult to turn compared to their previous robot which didn't look that easy to drive either but it seemed much more consistent in getting under the rival robots and flipping them whereas this time it really struggled.

Celebrity Hunted as started on channel 4 and they also have Hunted USA available as well so I've been watching both. While they're clearly fake in that they can't be doing what they claim they're doing, whatever setup they are using is convincing and quite easy to get into.
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby scarbunny » 23 Oct 2017, 11:18

Robot Wars

Spoiler:
I thought that Sabertooth were particularly hard done by in the first round, they were still a functional robot at the end just caught on some bent material where as Behemoth were properly immobilised from Sabertooth's attack. I suppose its nice that the Behemoth lad finally gets to progress past the first round though.

It'll be interesting to see how Apollo fairs in the 10 robot free for all for the wild card place, such a big name is surely going to have everyone gunning for them. Also from the teaser for next week they seem to have paired Carbide against Aftershock which seems a little odd as I think Aftershock have the best chance of knocking out Carbide of anyone while Apollo's competition weren't up to much on paper.

American Gods on Amazon is pretty good, deviates from the book quite a lot but I think it needed to for pacing, will be interested to see where they go with it.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 24 Oct 2017, 20:51

Robot Wars too and the Mrs also loves it.

I see that you are now allowed an anti spinner weapon and that they will have a Royal Rumble style last man standing for the final place too.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 31 Oct 2017, 14:55

Another solid week for Robot Wars I thought and next week looks interesting as well. Episode 2 spoilers:

Spoiler:
Of all robots to survive against Carbide, Gabriel is one of the last ones I'd have expected to survive the whole battle and almost win given Carbide had that damaged wheel and failing batteries. Although the flip side of that is that Gabriel can never really win as it can't do any damage, push other robots or similar.

The Carbide guys seem to be less of an asshole than before and I was impressed their wheel guards could take the damage from Aftershock as they looked to have got a couple of decent shots in, I thought with that level of damage the Aftershock weapon could do that they'd be able to do enough to damage the drive system.

It was a shame Eruption didn't last long and again it seems to be the small fragile wheels and armour that couldn't take the damage although I guess that's the trade off for the large flipper weapon.

I hadn't twigged when the commentator kept mentioning about the same house robots coming out that it's because they were avoiding using Matilda or Dead Metal when the powerful spinners were out as they don't think they could survive against them. I was reading a discussion about how to bring back Sergeant Bash as someone was saying they needed another house robot they could use when the spinners were out. Some impressive arena damage as well particularly with one of the robots being bounced off a of the ceiling light.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 31 Oct 2017, 15:53

I have to agree with all that you said on Robot Wars.

I binged on series 2 of Stranger Things over the weekend and watched all of it. It’s still great and perhaps even better than series 1.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Nov 2017, 03:17

I came across Do Androids dream of electric sheep on my phone (the book Blade Runner is based on) and started reading through it when I was working in areas with no mobile reception when I had to wait for something and had to make sure no-one touched the PC. The book and the film are much closer than I realised as I thought the film was just very loosely based on the book, unusually I think the film does a much better job than the book however with that on my mind I decided to watch some of channel 4's Electric Dreams, specifically the Commuter. In this episode a lowly ticket officer is asked for a ticket to a station that doesn't exist from a lady who appears to disappear leading the ticket officer to try and track down the mysterious station.
Spoiler:
I was disappointed though that in the end it was just a basic 'what if' story and does little to explain what's actually going on.

I ended up watching a Louis Theroux documentary on anorexia which was on after Robot Wars and while I've known it's a horrible condition, I didn't realise just quite so bad it was and how difficult it is for people to recover. It's horrible seeing people hurt themselves so much and suffer badly but still can't force themselves to eat to make themselves better.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 04 Nov 2017, 16:33

I wanted to watch Electric Dreams but haven't gotten around to it yet.

This morning I started watching Mindhunter on Netflix. This is based upon the true life story about the beginnings of the FBI Profiling Unit and their work with serial killers. Some great acting and I have found it to be rather engrossing.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Nov 2017, 14:53

I was a little put off by Mindhunters as Netflix had a very spammy advert on Flipboard although the reviews I've seen of it are good.

I started watching Stranger Things since it's the in thing at the moment but have to admit it was freaking me out a bit afterwards when it was late at night, I was half expecting the lights to start flickering.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Nov 2017, 23:28

Another solid Robot Wars episode.
Spoiler:
Wow that was quite a moment when the Apex bar came off and smashed through the polycarbonate wall although I don't know how that design was ever going to work with a bar so big and incredibly heavy. I didn't think it would survive hitting another robot as there would be so much shock through its own mechanism but it didn't even manage that. Still it was an impressive sight as its own blade tore itself apart although shame the bar escaping bar didn't smack into dead metal as I'd have liked to see the damage it could have done. For comparison, Carbide's blade is still a hefty 25kg but clearly much smaller.

I was impressed with the school kids team as they seemed entirely realistic about their chances and I thought while their robot may not have bee a winning one, it was still a very impressive effort for kids so young.

On the other hand I thought the Rapid guys were annoying and while I realise bragging about robot is normal, I didn't think their robot was that impressive from what we saw of it. I don't know if the weapon was ever working as in their final battle they seemed to be using the flipper very conservatively and one of the robots was leaking, it was hard to tell which one it was but I suspect it was Rapid. Their flipper didn't seem to be on the same power level as the big ones like Apollo and Eruption plus it was very slow to lower, I thought it was stuck up but it did it each time which I suspect will be fatal to it against a decent spinner. The armour at the back looked quite buckled from Terrorhurtz's axe as well.

I'm probably just bitter as I wanted to see them go out and was impressed with that axe on Terrorhurtz, pretty much all those weapons and similar just don't seem to do any real damage but that one seemed to be hitting hard. Then again it needed repeated blows to inflict damage which it just wouldn't get the chance to do against a good spinner or flipper and the axe itself may not be able to do much against better armoured robots.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 06 Nov 2017, 19:41

Agreed, Robot wars was epic! The 10 way fight is looking to be full of great robots!!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Nov 2017, 00:53

That ten way battle is going to be utter carnage but should certainly be great to watch.

I've now watched all of Stranger Things which kind of speaks for itself.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”