Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

What TV series have you watched?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Apr 2017, 01:43

Not sure about spoilers either but I guess play it safe
Spoiler:
I don't think there's any rules against attacking the house robots and if anything, it's encouraged for strong robots to have a go as the house robots have attacked a winning robot a few times to get revenge. It's clearly a crowd pleaser if a robot could damage one of the house robots and they've got four of them no doubt backed up by a good team of mechanics plus if it's reached the point a house robot could get damaged or disabled, it's likely it would need upgrades to stop it happening again. That's what happened with Razer and Matilda a while back, Matilda had effectively been lagging behind as the competitor's robots had got bigger and stronger until it reached the point Razer was able to destroy Matilda after which she was upgraded to cope with the rule changes.

I don't think Carbide would have stood a chance against any of the house robots and I think they knew that as they never even tried at any point, they stayed away at the end of matches when the house robots wandered out. One of the reasons their spinner is so effective is because their robot is built so well allowing it to soak up the shocks it deals to itself when the weapon hits, for so many of the other spinners they could deal the damage but the chassis couldn't take the the damage caused by the impacts of the weapon hitting other robots. The house robots appear to be built extremely well and they've got a massive weight advantage plus they're generally extremely well armoured, I think if Carbide had attempted to hit them they've have been able to take the hit fine on their armour and Carbide would have taken a lot more damage since it couldn't transfer the force to them as it could robots of an equal weight. I noticed Sir Killalot seems to have a lot more armour around the tracks which I don't think it had before as potentially they'd be vulnerable to being ripped off,.

I am a bit concerned at the lack of variety in the robots this series as it's almost been entirely spinners and I agree that next year it's likely to be worse. Apollo and Eruption were both exceptional flippers and well driven but they still struggled badly against the spinners and if you were choosing a design, you can't blame someone for going with a spinner. The only robots that seemed to mostly avoid Carbide were those two cluster bots, I know one of them took an almighty hit but a lot of the time Carbide was just grazing the top of them - my only thought was if you had a very low front on the robot enough to get under the weapon and mechanically rotate carbide round you'd have a chance but then there's other robots like PP3D that have the spinner at the bottom and it would be useless against. Behemoth's anti-spinner guard appeared to be able to take multiple hits and it's a real shame we didn't see it go through as it looked like it may have stood a chance against some spinners although on the other hand it may have had that ripped off and disabled shortly after.

I think I said a few pages back that the team behind Tornado had been talking about current robot wars which I was curious about as there's really been no robots of that design, just a fairly simple, well driven model without a powerful weapon. They said as the weight had increased previously it hadn't suited that design and now they were up in weight again they don't think Tornado would stand a chance against the current robots which they're probably right about. I was disappointed about the lack of Razer this year but hadn't realised the team have retired it after last year and been focusing on their American robot, Warhead:

http://battlebots.wikia.com/wiki/Warhead

Razer never seemed that reliable anyway and I don't think would stand a chance against the flippers and probably not the spinners either but I've always loved the design and I'm going to be very sorry if we end up with really no variety and all spinners. Hopefully BBC are thinking the same and will work on tweaking the rules to encourage more variety.

Edit - According to this, Carbide's weapon failed against the Shunt's blade:

https://www.reddit.com/r/robotwars/comm ... h=1727c9e2
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Apr 2017, 01:53

Team Apollo AMA:

https://www.reddit.com/r/robotwars/comm ... h=c5a59e63

Unsurprisingly they don't agree with Carbide hitting robots when they're disabled:

Its not against the rules, and its done with the intention of making the robot weaker for the later fights.
But its like when a boxer is being counted out, You dont go kick him in the head. We are all about putting on a good show, and with what Carbide did to us, it meant we couldn't fight fully for the rest of the show. And that takes away the purpose of the show.

Sounds like they're putting decent upgrades into Apollo.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Apr 2017, 22:02

Team Carbide have another version called Cobalt which they run in Battlebots (there seems to be some agreement between the two that teams aren't allowed to run the same robots), unusually Cobalt gets trashed this time:

EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 27 Apr 2017, 22:55

Just seen battlebots is on sky. So I've series linked it. Wednesday 8pm.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 28 Apr 2017, 00:55

I've seen references to edited versions of Battlebots without the terrible commentary although I've not had a look yet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleBotsRaw/

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 01 May 2017, 00:52

Well that's Line of Duty over with another superb finish and rewatching series 1 and 2 really paid off, I'd highly recommend giving it a go - series 1 and 2 are on Netflix, four is currently on iplayer and three crops up from time to time again on iplayer.

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 01 May 2017, 09:50

We blitzed big little lies last night. Really enjoyed it! Witherspoon and kidman were excellent! I can see why the finale got 9.7 on imdb! Toed everything up nicely!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 02 May 2017, 09:47

I'm not sure if anyone has read American Gods, but it's well worth a read (I say having not finished the book). However, the TV adaptation of it has just started on Amazon. A little bit premature for this thread, but the first episode was available yesterday. I really enjoyed it and if the series continues in such a manner, I going to continue enjoying it.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 02 May 2017, 10:11

Wife is just reading the book now so cant watch til she's finished it!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 03 May 2017, 10:18

American Gods is one of my favourite books, going to sign up for Amazon Prime Video for the new show.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 11 May 2017, 13:34

Robot wars news -

http://lostintv.com/tv-show?id=860

Tickets available for filming in glasgow.

AVAILABLE SESSIONS:
Friday 12th May - shows at 8:30am, 2:00pm
Saturday 13th May - shows at 8:30am, 3:45pm
Sunday 14th May - shows at 8:30am, 2:00pm
Monday 15th May - shows at 8:30am, 1:50pm
Wednesday 17th May - shows at 8:00am, 1:50pm
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 12 May 2017, 11:40

Yeah, seen first two episodes of American Gods, really very good, right up my street!

j
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 15 May 2017, 12:59

anyone watching jamestown on sky? Watched episode 1 (whilst napping) but not convinced as yet, although promising cast.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 01 Jun 2017, 15:30

It's a shame I couldn't go to Glasgow as I was on shift during those dates.

The second series of Sense8 is on Netflix which I've just finished and thought was done well as I was concerned with the fairly slow pace of the first series (which I still thought was great) it might just fizzle out in the second series but I was wrong. It continues to build up the concept well and I was hooked for most of it the series. The basic concept of the series is that there are eight individuals around the world who suddenly become psychically linked even though they've never met. Gradually the link becomes deeper and they go from being able to talk to each other to being able to borrow each other's unique skill sets to help each other out both for difficulties in their own situations and working together against an organisation that's hunting them down. The second series builds further with them working more and more together and meeting other clusters like them, some of who help and some of who are against them.

I see Fargo series 3 has started on channel 4 which was probably my favourite recommendation for the previous series as it's not something I would have paid any attention to but thought both the first two series were superb and have high expectations for this one.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Jun 2017, 22:46

I've started American Gods and up to episode 5 but I'm not sure it's my thing, it's obviously meant to be pretty weird but I'm not keen on the style and while it's slowly answering questions I feel like I'm watching it because I'm supposed to rather than because I want to.

John

Return to “The Salmon Pond”