Anything goes here...
robbo
100th member
100th member

What TV series have you watched?

Postby robbo » 17 Feb 2017, 10:28

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post
I've been watching Attack on Titan

I really liked Attack on Titan. I had a look on the anime thread and it was 3 years ago s1 came out! Didn't realise it was that long ago... I'm looking forward to starting s2. Only read the first manga book. Heard the live adaptation is terrible...
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby jurassicjim » 17 Feb 2017, 16:13

I think the game is meant to be decent too.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Feb 2017, 23:55

Tappy wrote:Source of the post Scrolled back to see if I mentioned it previously, but seems I did not. Yes, Luke Cage has been my favourite so far as well.

I know what you mean about The Defenders. Whilst The Avengers has done well, and it's fun to see everyone together, The Winter Soldier with a Black Widow crossover is still my favourite of the films. You don't need an ensemble to make something great. A whole series of The Defenders seems a lot. But we shall see.

Definitely agreed, I liked the build up to the first Avengers film but since then it feels a bit forced and as you say I like characters just being in each others films as needed when it makes sense. I'm not that excited about Infinity War as scaling up the scope and effects doesn't make for a better film and while I don't agree with some of how Civil War came about, I did like the division between the different superheroes on how they should be doing their job rather than just a straight forward good and bad. The Warhammer 40K universe suffers similar problems and some authors are bad for throwing everything in and trying to really up the ante to make the story more impressive but some of the best ones are where there's no clear wrong and right pitting the Inquisition who will do whatever is needed to server the greater good against more honourable rivals who don't agree.

I've watched two episodes of that Legion now. I wouldn't know it was set in the X-men universe if I wasn't told.

Also watched the pilot of that 24: Legacy (also on Fox). I'll watch it again next week.

They're intentionally distancing Legion from the X-men universe so although it technically is part of x-men, it doesn't take part in the existing franchise and there's no intention to bring it into that either which I think is a good choice. It's still something I find stupid about Daredevil/Jessica Jones/Luke Cage is that it claims they're part of the same universe as the main Marvel films rather than just leaving them on their own, it's the same again with Luke Cage - someone like him while exceptional compared to a normal human, is nothing unexpected if the events of the main Marvel films have happened yet he's made out to be something really special.

I've finished Attack on Titan which I hadn't realised wasn't finished yet although I'm not sure if I could watch another series, I like a lot of the ideas and concepts in it but the hugely exaggerated animation and characters just aren't my thing.

I had a dabble with Amazon prime and put Sneaky Pete on which is a series about a con-man who while in jail has a cellmate who talks in great detail about his great life he used to have with his grandparents however he's in jail for a long time so 'Sneaky Pete' when he leaves goes to the grandparents' house and pretends to be the cellmate who hasn't actually seen the grandparents in several decades so the people accept the new Pete. I was a bit confused by this as the two people don't look at all alike so had to check that's what was supposed to have happened which it was and it doesn't really work, it's the centre of the whole thing and it never feels right. I've given it a few episodes but wasn't really getting into it.

I gave Goliath a go instead which features Billy Bob Thornton (who I thought was great as the assassin in the first Fargo series) as a washed up lawyer who's pulled back into a case which sounds stupidly generic but I'm getting quite drawn into it.

I'm also finding Taboo on BBC1 is getting increasingly good as each of the sides is making their moves and it's still hard to know how ahead of the game Tom Hardy is and what exactly happened before on the certain ship.

John
Knowledge is Power - Guard it well
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Feb 2017, 17:13

I'm generally not a fan of Amazon Prime simply because I find the client rubbish, it doesn't support multiple profiles, it's not well support (no Chromecast support is particularly irritating) and often it doesn't remember where I am in the series. However I am impressed with the fact it shows the current cast on screen and the name of the music that's playing which is handy as I was trying to find an actor's name without luck so remember about this feature, paused it and there it was straight away. You can tap the name to go to a summary of the cast member and there's also a lot more information available as well.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Mar 2017, 01:58

I've finished Goliath and although the whole thing had a very generic storyline I thought some great characters made for a good watch.

Taboo is also finished and though it had a solid finish as well although I'm hoping it will get another series as the viewing figures apparently haven't been great which surprised me as I thought it was well done and it had me hooked even though it wasn't really my thing.

Robot Wars had started again tonight although I was a little disappointed as I was expecting a better standard of robots as the last series as apparently short notice and a few teams weren't able to get their robots in, this time was meant to be better.
Spoiler:
I did have to chuckle at the super expensive, over engineered, super powerful robot having a pretty rubbish run. I realise that's how they do it on robot wars but even for it they went a little far, that flipper they were boasting about never seemed to do anything at all impressive. I also liked that the 'Jellyfish' one or whatever it was thought they had an advantage because they're not normal engineers and took a different approach...hmm
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 07 Mar 2017, 15:13

Glad to see Robot Wars back. It always seems to take an episode or two to get back into it.

Spoiler:
I think most of the really expensive ones (like Rapid last night) have generally flopped.
I noticed that when Rapid (the uber expensive robot) became immobile Aftershock did not attack it. Yet the same team smashed Sabretooth to pieces when it became immobile later on.

I was amused that the Irish (eye candy?) presenter was beaten at Connect 4 by a robot.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Mar 2017, 22:49

That's true and the format they have is pretty good at generally quickly weeding out the totally rubbish robots while prolonging some of the more interesting machines since they no longer get knocked out by a single mistake or failure. I agree with you about some of that questionable behaviour and I'm surprised they seem to rely on good sportsmanship instead, it seems fair to me that robots that are clearly immobilised should not be damaged any further. I've been disappointed some of the competitors have seen the robot is clearly immobilised and taken advantage to inflict irreparable damage preventing the robot from continuing any further in the tournament.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 07 Mar 2017, 23:19

Robot wars thoughts

Spoiler:
I thought Aftershock were incredibly poor sportsmen going after Sabertooth when it was immobilised, especially considering how much it meant to the guy to have finally won a televised battle after 16 years and his daughter being there, and considering they had left Rapid alone in a previous match. The hypocrite in me wouldn't have minded Rapid getting ruined as the team came across as cocky pricks.
Last edited by scarbunny on 08 Mar 2017, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Mar 2017, 02:13

Robot Wars spoilers:

Spoiler:
Which robot was which again??
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 08 Mar 2017, 09:48

Spoiler:
Aftershock, blue and white with big vertical spinner
Sabertooth, yellow and black with horizontal spinner
Rapid, stupidly expensive shinny flipper
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 08 Mar 2017, 12:27

Scar, I had the exact same thoughts about the Rapid team.
Y.N.W.A.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 10 Mar 2017, 20:27

OMG what have they done to The Gadget Show!
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Mar 2017, 04:15

Robot Wars Episode 2:
Spoiler:
I thought the judge's decisions on that Cherub robot were highly questionable given it wasn't well driven nor did it have a weapon that could inflict any damage, they were lucky to get through the first round and while PP3D did immobilise itself and Cherub at the same time it seemed bizarre to give the win to Cherub which had done nothing. I thought it daft not to stick with the normal front on Behemoth which worked well in general (the anti-spinning one did make sense given the damage they took last year) but even then, I couldn't see how they could give Cherub the win on that as well. It's frustrating as I think Behemoth stood a chance against the Eruption robot as it's generally well driven and it seems robust but instead we had that complete waste of five seconds.

Still while choosing the design and specification of PP3D fully knowing it could do as much damage to itself as other robots is perhaps not a great approach to winning Robot Wars, it made for some spectacular moments particularly when it slammed Cherub into the wall with a ridiculous amount of force. You generally forget the robots are pretty hefty armoured machines but even then the speed Cherub went into the arena side seemed to almost defy physics, I liked the shard Dara was showing while they repaired the arena.

Robbo brought up the point are flippers unbeatable with the current rules which is a fair point seeing how Eruption destroyed everything this time and last year's winner was a similar flipper which was one of the most destructive seen given it immobilised most of the house robots along the way. They clearly can be tough to beat but they have little endurance and their flipping mechanism is often fragile so a good smash at the start can take them out or some good driving to avoid the hits until they run out of gas and then go in for the kill. I'm looking forward to seeing what else comes along.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 13 Mar 2017, 14:22

Great episode of RW last night.

Spoiler:
I was surprised that Cherub was given the win over PP3D but could understand why it beat Behemoth. Cherub was driven far more aggressively which is why it lost in the final (fools rush in...). The problem is that they had no real weapon.
PP3D tried to be clever with the low level spinner but in reality this is what also made it vulnerable. I am surprised that so many robots have their wheels completely unguarded and is a major failing.

I cannot believe how petulant and unsportsmanlike the captain of PP3D was when they lost to the kids. What a complete tw@t.
Y.N.W.A.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 13 Mar 2017, 18:04

Replicant wrote:Source of the post OMG what have they done to The Gadget Show!

good zomg or bad zomg?

Return to “The Salmon Pond”