What TV series have you watched?

Anything goes here...
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 13 Mar 2017, 22:29

matt wrote:Source of the post
Replicant wrote:Source of the post OMG what have they done to The Gadget Show!

good zomg or bad zomg?

Personally, bad ZOMG.
Imagine the Jonathon Ross show hosted by Craig Charles trying to be like a cross between Top Gear and The Gadget Show. Its just feels weird and I found it hard to watch.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Mar 2017, 00:19

I just saw an advert for it after reading your comment and even that looked bad but I can see a solution for two problems here, we need to get Craig Charles back on Robot Wars!
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 14 Mar 2017, 19:03

The Walking Dead could be getting some goodness/excitement back. Just hope there isn't a massive cliffhanger at the end of this season...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 Mar 2017, 16:32

I'm amused at how excited I was for this week's robot wars as I was checking the time and even watched it live.
Spoiler:
Not a bad week either I thought and good to see Thor back although I'm not sure how useful that axe is, the strength of Thor seems to come from the guy's driving abilities and even when the weapon was working it didn't seem to do any noticeable damage. Given the robot doesn't seem to drive that well and the axe is unreliable I think it would be better to take the axe off, lower the robot, give it more drive wheels and just focus on being able to take a few blows then push the robots into hazards. It's a shame that spinning one didn't really work at all but I seem to remember it had a similar performance last year.

After watching Billy Bob Thornton in Goliath I felt like watching the first series of Fargo which I'd originally watched from a recommendation here, not the sort of thing I'd have watched normally but would have missed out on a great series. Even knowing what happens it's still a great watch although the choice of Martin Freeman still feels so out of place.

I've started watching Iron Fist which is the fourth and last of the Defenders TV series before the actual Defenders series (after Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage) although so far I'm not too taken with it. The story feels too similar to Batman Begins/Arrow which I know is accurate but I'd rather they had chosen another superhero plus I'm not warming to the main actor. On the plus it feels much more like it's part of the Defenders universe with more ties to the previous serious so far although still makes the pointless links back to the cinematic universe.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 21 Mar 2017, 18:16

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post I'm amused at how excited I was for this week's robot wars as I was checking the time and even watched it live.
Spoiler:
Not a bad week either I thought and good to see Thor back although I'm not sure how useful that axe is, the strength of Thor seems to come from the guy's driving abilities and even when the weapon was working it didn't seem to do any noticeable damage. Given the robot doesn't seem to drive that well and the axe is unreliable I think it would be better to take the axe off, lower the robot, give it more drive wheels and just focus on being able to take a few blows then push the robots into hazards. It's a shame that spinning one didn't really work at all but I seem to remember it had a similar performance last year.

John

Spoiler:
I had thought the same about Thor's hammer last year but when it got going it dis some serious damage to Shockwave, I had expected more from it this year as he had increased the power. I do like the guy behind Thor as he is one of the best drivers out there and seems to do everything on his own, especially impressive last year getting the robot back in the arena after getting ruined by Carbide. I don't think the problem is with Thor not driving well I think its just much faster and has more power than the old model so the driver isn't used to it yet, in the later rounds he seemed to be getting the hang of it and zipping around the place.

I was disappointed to see Foxic fail to do anything and the School kids robot had an interesting design but it looked pretty much dead at the start of the round.

Apart from Robot Wars I've also been watching Legion which whilst being a Marvel character it is completely unrelated to the MCU or any of the other stuff being made at the minute. It's really good, it'll be interesting to see what they do with the character as he is generally a baddie in the comics as well as being Professor X's son with similar levels of power.

Also started watching "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" on Netflix, its based on Douglas Adams book of the same name. I had watched and enjoyed the BBC version with Stephen Mangan and Darren Boyd however the Netflix one is much weirder, and I assume closer to the books. I think it's pretty good but I think it's going to take a few more episodes to properly get into it.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Mar 2017, 01:02

More Robot Wars spoilers:
Spoiler:
I think he was doing a good job driving Thor but it seemed to lack both drive and grip, it was sliding around a lot under cornering and when it was pushing against Concussion it didn't seem to have any force to move it. Something like Tornado or the other one that was a similar design but six wheel drive I was thinking of although I found a bit about why Tornado hadn't joined and some of the reasons are interesting - they said the 80kg to 100kg weight increase wasn't good for that type of design and going up again in weight would also be worse plus I hadn't realised robots must have an active weapon. When looking through the rules there's an additional weight allowance for walking robots although I can't see a design like that ever being stable enough or giving any advantage.

Anyway I really like the Thor guy as well, he doesn't trash talk, seems genuinely a good sport, drives the robot well and seems to be a cracking engineer as well particularly given how much work the robots seem to need between rounds.

I've been recording Legion but haven't got around to watching it yet.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 Mar 2017, 18:40

I saw this compilation of Battlebots (the US version of Robot Wars) which aside from the music and commentary is quite compelling:

There's powerful spinners and flippers as well although the spinners seem to dominate, there's a much wider range of robots though and the robots seem significantly more complex. There's one fight where one of the robots is a flying quadcopter with a flamethrower and one of the other robots has a giant fly swatter attachment designed to take down aerial drones (I'm not joking). Many of the robots seem to have a flamethrower as a secondary weapon and often quite complex grasping weapons which they have a specific rule for which limits the robots to 30 seconds.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Apr 2017, 02:33

I've finished Iron Fist and my opinion hasn't changed much on it as it wanders all over the place and finishes weakly. The main issue is that Danny Rand/Iron Fist is just annoying and over the whole series doesn't really change or have any sort of arc although the support cast are good particularly seeing more Claire Temple and a bit of Jeri Hogarth.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 02 Apr 2017, 13:18

Rick and Morty season 3 episode 1 is currently streaming in the US.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 09 Apr 2017, 23:29

That was a great April Fool's joke that I was still convinced was an elaborate wind up until I actually saw the episode. As with the last series it was a great opener after the previous cliff hanger that brought together some of the bigger parts of the show.

Anyone watching Line of Duty? As usual it's been a great start and quite a cliff hanger tonight.

I can't believe they booted Robot Wars for the golf :( That said
Spoiler:
I'll be surprised if Carbide doesn't win as their spinner seems able to spin up very quickly, it does a huge amount of damage and it doesn't seem to suffer damage itself like other spinners as it seemed surprisingly reliable even after dealing out several big hits.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 19 Apr 2017, 23:47

Erm, where am I?

Walking Dead could be set up for a good next season.

Watched the first ep of s4 of The 100 - had totally forgotten what was happening.

Erm, don't think I've really watched anything else recently. Still need to watch the latest GoT.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 20 Apr 2017, 15:58

Robot wars - that winning robot was amazing all through the series!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 20 Apr 2017, 21:11

EviL Ras wrote:Source of the post Robot wars - that winning robot was amazing all through the series!

I have to agree that the best robot won. Pity he was a bit of a smug prick
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Apr 2017, 02:39

I can't believe none of you are watching Line of Duty :(

Robot Wars spoilers
Spoiler:
Carbide was a very impressive robot that somehow seemed to defy all the normal spinner disadvantages as it spun up really quickly, could run either side and crucially could seem to deal out massive amounts of damage without taking any itself but as Chris says he was a smug prick and I really disliked that they attacked disabled robots a few times which isn't against the rules but it seems unsporting. I don't think it would have made a different overall but I did really like the Eruption guy and the robot, I was hoping it could take a few hits and get Carbide up in the air a few times but while it did manage to last longer than others it clearly couldn't last.

Still trying to watch Legion but finding it very weird and not particularly encouraging to keep up with.

Also tried the new Bill Nye series on Netflix but it seems irritatingly over the top and even when talking about topics I was interested in I was just finding it annoying.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 26 Apr 2017, 15:34

Not sure if spoilers but

Spoiler:
I wonder what the rules are relating to the attacking of the house robots? Last year you had Apollo having a go at all of them and flipping them all but Killalot, but flippers don't really cause too much damage. I would have liked to see Carbide go up against some the house bots to see how its compares but the potential for damaged would be huge.

They seriously need to upgrade the arena, there was at least one occasion last series where a side panel was ripped off and this year they had to same issue multiple times so it would seem nothing has changed, and then the multiple times the floor was damaged requiring a reset its getting to the limits of what it can contain, then Carbide firing that chunk of Aftershock all most completely though the polycarbinate arena wall I was a little surprised Carbide wasn't disqualified for being too powerful after that.

So yeah the best robot won, it was all a little academic because barring a technical failure Carbide was unstoppable, will be interesting if we see what happens next year as I can't see much beating it as like John said its got all the positives with, seemingly, none of the negatives. I can see next years roster being almost entirely spinners with one or two oddballs that get decimated first round.

Legion is a difficult show to watch as its all over the place, I thought it was brilliant one of the best "Super hero" things to date, possibly one of the best things I've seen for ages. Once the astral plane stuff comes into the show and they start getting more of an understanding what is going on it levels out a little and is slightly easier to follow, also there is some slight comic relief. There are very few things I actually enjoy nowadays, most things are tolerable to at best average, so for this to register so highly for me it must be doing something right. But I can see how the off kilter nature of the show will put a lot of people off.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”