What TV series have you watched?

Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

What TV series have you watched?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Apr 2015, 00:51

Since discussing current TV programs on the Live chat is a frequent feature I thought it worth giving a thread of its own for what people have been enjoying and what service it's available on.

Ive finished series 1 of Arrow on Amazon Prime which is quite reminiscent of Batman - the main character is a flamboyant and rich playboy who is out on a boat that has an accident and sinks killing his dad and leaving him abandoned on an island which bears a few similarities to the one in Lost. The series starts with his rescue and being brought back to the city however he's found out his family's wealth seems to be based on crime and after his experience on the island which has made him an elite archer he's going to get revenge and fix the city. There's so many reasons why the program is bad particularly the cast which are largely annoying however I found it good particularly as it mixes flashbacks to what happened on the island and some major plot progressing in the city.

On Netflix I watched Atari:Game Over which is a documentary about digging up the buried ET cartridges and looking at Atari as a company and how they fell. Nothing ground breaking but still a fairly good watch particularly as it all happened when I was too young so knew little of it aside from a friend having an Atari 2600.
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
robbo
100th member
100th member

Re: What TV series have you watched?

Postby robbo » 13 Apr 2015, 22:55

Well, a little while ago now I watched BSG. And loved it. Been meaning to watch Blood & Chrome but haven't yet.

Watched Fortitude which has been on Sky Atlantic. Really enjoyed it.
Spoiler:
But has it lost something by losing (what I thought was) its most intriguing character Morten? And also, with the mystique having been revealed in what was causing the killings (and the red herrings in other killings), will the series' dark, moody, broody feel be lost from now> The ending left the door open to a few possibilities for the next series so will look forward to seeing how they continue the story. Hope it doesn't go bland, run of the mill sci-fi/medical drama - if there is such a thing.
Series 2 has been commissioned so there will be more Fortitude to come.

Otherwise, been watching a bit of SpongeBob Squarepants on Prime. Never used to watch it but it's pretty good for a short burst of cartoonness. Still needing to see the rest of Adventure Time.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 14 Apr 2015, 08:05

Game of Thrones started last night. We watched the last 2 episodes from series 4, then watched the new one from series 5.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby steffcip » 14 Apr 2015, 08:26

Tatau ep 1
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Tappy » 14 Apr 2015, 10:09

When the theme tune for GoT started last night, this is all I could think of:

Anyone watching Daredevil on Netflix? I've almost consumed the whole series and I've found it very good. The missus has been more keen than me for watching them, so that probably shows that the less super-natural approach appeals to a wider audience (or she's just a geek). Always thought Daredevil would be a superhero better suited for a tv series rather than a film (with cringeworthy fighty-flirting in parks (but an awesome soundtrack)).

Dinklagepeterdinklagepeterdinklagepeterdinklage...
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 30 Apr 2015, 11:57

robbo wrote:Watched Fortitude which has been on Sky Atlantic. Really enjoyed it. Series 2 has been commissioned so there will be more Fortitude to come.

Oooo, a second series,sweet. I enjoyed it too.

Spoiler:
I wondered if it was going to be a different cast and story for series 2 since the mystery has gone.

I did like how it was all explained, but that felt more like an end of everything, not a beginning of the next chapter. I like Fortitude for the mystery, if it's going to be zombies and plague then that loses what made it good. Perhaps there still is more mystery. What if the scientists were wrong?

Lots of unanswered questions too. Why did Kieran (Irish guy doing slutty science girl) attack slutty science girlie? He had already infected big guy. He had no more juice to give. Do people kill themselves after infection? The only person still alive is the black kid and he doesn't seem right. Erm, what happened to Elena? I've forgotten, was she shot dead? What about the water in the pipes? How did people get infected in the first place? Why wasn't that big guy infected after hanging out with the mammoth? Or his daughter? Why did it take so long for Kieran to get infected? Who is going to investigate Peter Pettigrew's death now? Why is he named after a Harry Potter character?
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 30 Apr 2015, 13:26

Been slowly going through House of Cards series 3.
For some reason I just haven't got into it as much as Series 1 & 2.

Stopped watching Arrow last year as its just getting ridiculous. Although saying that I have stuck with and enjoy Grimm. Its basically Buffy for adults.
Y.N.W.A.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 30 Apr 2015, 23:08

Tappy wrote:
robbo wrote:Watched Fortitude which has been on Sky Atlantic. Really enjoyed it. Series 2 has been commissioned so there will be more Fortitude to come.

Oooo, a second series,sweet. I enjoyed it too.

Spoiler:
I wondered if it was going to be a different cast and story for series 2 since the mystery has gone.

I did like how it was all explained, but that felt more like an end of everything, not a beginning of the next chapter. I like Fortitude for the mystery, if it's going to be zombies and plague then that loses what made it good. Perhaps there still is more mystery. What if the scientists were wrong?

Lots of unanswered questions too. Why did Kieran (Irish guy doing slutty science girl) attack slutty science girlie? He had already infected big guy. He had no more juice to give. Do people kill themselves after infection? The only person still alive is the black kid and he doesn't seem right. Erm, what happened to Elena? I've forgotten, was she shot dead? What about the water in the pipes? How did people get infected in the first place? Why wasn't that big guy infected after hanging out with the mammoth? Or his daughter? Why did it take so long for Kieran to get infected? Who is going to investigate Peter Pettigrew's death now? Why is he named after a Harry Potter character?

Spoiler:
Hmmm, a few things to think and discuss about there. Too late to write them all down now but I'll try out a few.

Elena is still alive isn't she. Didn't she survive getting shot? Water into the drains might have been a red herring but I'm going to guess it's a possible venture for series 2. Big guy with daughter had it first, passed it onto daughter who then gave it to her friend, the black kid - that's my guess. Maybe some people are immune to it or it incubates in them rather than developing. Similar thing for Keiren. Um, they;ll send out someone else to investigate, isn't that what Stoddard said? Dunno why Keiren attacked slutty science girl - maybe he knew something was up with himself (he did kill himself - my thought was maybe so he didn't harm anyone else or knew what he had done and couldn't live with himself anymore) and wanted to alert the slutty science girl but didn't know how to as he was half zombie by this stage. Ummm, anything else? I know, let's discuss over a pint someday. But maybe not food.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 May 2015, 23:53

After a lot of recommendations I've been binging on Daredevil and feeling a strong sense of deja vu after watching Arrow, they're both more grounded superhero TV series about saving a rough area of a city. They also share several of their main plot points with flashbacks to fill in parts of the story, it's not that Daredevil copies Arrow in any way but just that perhaps getting a bit superhero overload.

On the plus side Daredevil has a far stronger cast, the Daredevil actor is very good (even with Ben Affleck setting a very low benchmark) and the lead actress is great as well unlike Arrow which suffers from most of the cast being very irritating particularly the lead ladies to the degree I'm finding the second series of Arrow hard going. The portrayal of Daredevil's odd powers are fairly convincing in making them seem more possible. It can be a little hard going at times as the violence can be pretty brutal although that's not a bad thing, in this day and age when there's plenty of violence around in films and TV shows it's impressive it can still have such an impact.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 28 May 2015, 22:29

Been getting into The Walking Dead. Smashed through seasons one and two the other week and just started season 3 today. Loving it!
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 31 May 2015, 21:42

Finished season 3 of The Walking Dead today. Boo to Amazon Prime for not having seasons 4 & 5 on Prime...
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 31 May 2015, 22:14

Sky has them all i think! If yu get the boxsets on there!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 01 Jun 2015, 12:03

I had a look for the boxsets on the Sky website and they're not currently available! Might try going through the actual Sky box to see if it's any different.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 29 Jun 2015, 08:28

Watched the first episode of Odyssey last night. Quite enjoyed it - felt a little confused as to what was happening as missed a bit near the start but pretty much have the gist of it.

Not started Humans yet but got that recording.

Hmmm, what else..? Still enjoying Episodes on BBC2.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 29 Jun 2015, 09:52

enjoying Humans so far

Return to “The Salmon Pond”