What TV series have you watched?

Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Jul 2017, 01:57

I'm finding the new series of Fargo great and as with the past series it does a great job of seemingly settling into a pattern then throwing that out the window and veering in another direction to keep it entertaining. Series three, episode 9 spoilers:

Spoiler:
While some of the meeting with Vargas and Nikki was a bit of a cliché I didn't think that mattered as it was still brilliant to see the previously unflappable Vargas looking very unsettled plus I like that they've brought back the deaf guy from the first series. I thought the scene near the end with the two police officers was good as well and captured their frustration at no-one listening to them
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 27 Jul 2017, 10:27

Rick and morty is back on Sunday.

That is all.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Jul 2017, 12:47

Is it actually being shown in the UK? It looks like Fox are showing some Adult Swim content late night but can't see any sign of series 3.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 27 Jul 2017, 13:00

Its on Netflix uk apparently. So torrents for me!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Jul 2017, 16:34

I was dubious about that since they only got the last two seasons some time after they aired however you're right, Netflix are getting it:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/25/all-ten-e ... k-6804509/

John
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 09 Aug 2017, 16:30

Erm, what have I been watching?

Not sure if I've said but finished s4 of 100. Could've ended there but a twist in the last minute for a "What the?!" for s5.

Erm, started watching the original Twin peaks. Quite enjoyable so far. Not really been watching much tv recently apart from Family Guy...

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post I see there's a new Stargate series called Origins although the rather laughable trailer only shows scenes from the film and a single new and very generic shot of someone standing in front of a stargate.

scarbunny wrote:Source of the post I just want someone to pick up the rights to Universe, that got killed just as it was getting going.

I didn't know about this. And yeah, Universe was so good in season 2! Rrrrrr....
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Sep 2017, 00:36

Rick and Morty has been great as expected and it's so good after all this time to finally have new episodes....particularly when they involve Pickle Rick. As usual I love the fact you really have no idea where the heck it's going and
Spoiler:
after the craziness of Rick changing himself into a pickle to avoid family counselling, the counsellor entirely accepting Rick as a pickle and cutting him down to size was great

After the long build up I thought the Defenders series was good starting off with each character in their own storylines and coming together as they find they're all basically after the Hand. Some of their superpowers seem a little unbalanced and Iron First was annoying as ever but overall it's impressive how well they've been able to do a superhero storyline better than the films taking the time to focus on character development and not needing huge CGI battles.

Storyville have a good documentary on the Silk Road:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... e-dark-web

There's nothing new for anyone familiar with the story but it's still a good account of what happened from start to finish.

Narcos series 3 has just started on Netflix which I've just got started with and hopefully it's as good as the last two series which I found surprisingly good given it's not something I thought I'd be fussed about.

Any other good series on the go? The schedule is feeling a bit empty with game of thrones now finished and unfortunately still a long way until Westworld is back on.

John
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 05 Sep 2017, 11:41

I watched the first 7 episodes of Narcos 3 over the weekend and still love it. I also watched Strike over the last 2 weekends and really enjoyed this too. Much more enjoyable detective show than the over-egged Sherlock if you ask me.
Y.N.W.A.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 05 Sep 2017, 14:57

I watched both season 2 of the man in the high castle and the new series of the tick.

Enjoyed both but think that's because of my love of alternative history and dry humour!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Sep 2017, 01:15

After a very long break the unthinkable has happened and we have a new Star Trek TV series which felt quite odd seeing the new opening sequence, also quite impressive Netflix have it the same time as the US. I hadn't really been paying much attention to it as I thought it would be more JJ Abrams influenced but gave it a go and it feels a lot more like Enterprise than anything else. The setting is very confusing as it goes with the JJ Abrams look with dumpy looking ships but very fancy interfaces, it's apparently set after Enterprise and before The Original Series and focuses on the Klingons. The Klingons have had a pretty big facelift and don't really like the 'human' version they should be in this timeframe or their normal Trek versions either so I'm not sure if it's meant to be a third universe but it's definitely not the Prime one.

I guess I can understand why they're going for a prequel to a prequel to a sequel (I don't know..??) given the popularity of the recent films but it would work a lot better if they dumped all that and set a new series after Voyager, just about everything they've shown so far could easily have been in a future time and just change the Klingons for some unknown species. After Deep Space Nine the Federation were massively weakened anyway so would be vulnerable to a new alien species and it would make everything much simpler as they'd be free to make the fancy looking ships they clearly want to. It sounds like it's just being pedantic but like Enterprise it's very jarring having the mix of old and new which never looks like it's really old at all.

The episode largely focuses on 'Michael', the Vulcan first officer who may or may not be a sister to Spock which it feels like we've done many times already and given the Vulcan aspect of Enterprise wasn't that popular it seems an odd choice to do it again. The science officer played by Doug Jones seems a more intriguing character but can see how it goes in time.

Spoiler:
Putting Michelle Keoh in as a guest star was not a good idea as you knew from the very start she was a goner and it's a shame as I much preferred her character over Michael who I believe is going to be the Captain of the Discovery ship which we've yet to see.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 27 Sep 2017, 09:41

I watched all of Tin Star and mostly enjoyed it despite the unsettling sight of some fat bloke from Coronation Street walking around naked in one episode. I cant believe that some nowheresville town would put up with some of the shiv that goes down. I won't say much more as I wouldn't want to spoil it for you.
Y.N.W.A.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 28 Sep 2017, 15:10

Just finished off Twin Peak: The Return................ I'm pretty sure it was good, almost certain. But I had no idea what the hell was going on for parts of it, or why some of it existed. The "Gotta Light" episode was possibly the weirdest hour of TV I have ever seen, but at the same time 3 weeks later I'm still thinking about it.

The Expanse continues to be excellent, taking my time over series 2.

Killjoys is some proper trash SciFi but I'm enjoying it, the end of series one and the start of 2 took a huge leap in quality.

I'm probably starting on Tin Star next.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Oct 2017, 18:25

I started Killjoys a while back but didn't really get into it although gave it another go recently and finding it good, with so much stuff on offer it's easy just not to bother sticking a series out.

I thought the third episode of Discovery was good and curious to see how it progresses.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 07 Oct 2017, 14:56

Rick and Morty is over for this season. a great season with a slightly weak, tho good standalone episode.
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Oct 2017, 01:05

BBC have an excellent documentary on the Concorde I'd recommend:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... d=b096n3rw

I've been to see the one in the Duxford museum and it's still such a beautiful plane , it's quite sad seeing the group of Concordes sitting together after their final flight never to fly again. Jeremy Clarkson has a book called You've got soul where he talks about different vehicles he feels are special enough that they have their own soul and included both the 747 and the Concorde as the two competing views of the future, one for speed and one for capacity and clearly the latter won out.

BBC also have a good series on the Vietnam war:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... d=b096k7q7

I know the basics of it but never really knew the details and this series does a good job providing that detail.

John

Return to “The Salmon Pond”