Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

What TV series have you watched?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Jun 2018, 00:11

The ghost nation episode was definitely the highlight for me as well
Spoiler:
I thought the actor was extremely good particularly when he finds his wife in cold storage and can't revive her it actually felt quite upsetting and made you forget these are just machines. I also liked that it filled in some of the blanks as I thought it was a bit annoying how the ghost nation hosts seemed immune to everything else but then it makes sense when you find they've become self aware already and the mazes that appeared in the first series weren't a coincidence after all.

Is that Luke Cage series 2? The first series is my favourite of the Marvel series but after Iron Fist, Defenders, Punisher and Jessica Jones series 2 all being disappointments I'm not rushing to the new Luke Cage.

John
Phalanx - liquid cooled i7 3930K @ 4.2Ghz, 32GB ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/28TB HDD, dual blu-ray, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Aug 2018, 01:14

Well finally watched the second series of Luke Cage and thought it was pretty poor, it starts off slow, never really builds up and then fizzles out at the end.

Spoiler:
I thought Mariah Stokes/Dillard was just awful and given how much she's in the series that's a real frustration. Her daughter spearheading an anti-science message was really poor with her promoting 'natural' medicines that can give people super powers and criticising GMO's plus the anti-vax message was loud and clear with Bushmaster's town supposedly been subject to lethal vaccinations.

The advantage of a TV series is they have much more time to develop the characters but this time they just didn't seem to know what they wanted to do as the 'anger' and daddy issues seemed out of place and by the end I was confused how the young guy in the barber shop felt betrayed by Cage after he'd told the main bad guys he couldn't be bought.

Oddly the cameo by the Iron Fist was actually quite good and hints perhaps the second season of that will be worth a go as Danny's more relaxed stance made him a lot less irritating than before. That said his appearance felt very token and it's a shame he wasn't in it for a bit longer when he was clearly needed, similarly no mention of Jessica Jones early on either when Cage was trying to find someone which would have been ideal for her. I kind of wish they hadn't bothered with the Defenders and instead spent a bit more effort having each of them cross over a bit more with each other.

Better Call Saul is back on although is week by week so no binge watching. After watching the first episode I'm keen to see the rest of the series.

Totally not based on Ras' recommendation I watched the first series of Final Space which was surprisingly good. When it started off I thought it was attempting to copy some of Rick and Morty as it's a fairly wacky sci-fi featuring Gary, a human who is trapped on a spaceship serving out a prison sentence but it quickly shows it has its own identity and some of the animation and audio is impressive.
Phalanx - liquid cooled i7 3930K @ 4.2Ghz, 32GB ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/28TB HDD, dual blu-ray, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 03 Jan 2019, 23:36

Luther

3 out of 4 episodes. It's been on nightly this week. Holy crap it's been amazing if you're a Luther fan. And if you're not it's because you've never seen an episode.. bloody awesome!
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 06 Feb 2019, 01:09

The good place! Just finished season 2! And it certainly had a few moments that I had my crying! But had me laughing out loud too! Great and well worth a look!

Finished all 5 season of BoJack horseman too. It's dark, deep, and has some laugh out loud moments too! Really liked it. One episode gets 9.8 on IMDb and it deserves that score. It's amazing.
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Feb 2019, 03:59

I noticed Person of Interest was on Amazon Prime which oddly Netflix didn't have the final series for despite having the original four, the series was canned but the compromise was a fifth series half the length. It's extremely well rated but I thought it was quite rubbish as it had all got too serious where I'd liked the original series when it was quite simple and each episode they were simply trying to find if the targetted person was going to kill or be killed and stop it happening.

The Orville and Discovery go head to head this time in the UK unlike last year when Orville was shown months after Discovery. So far Orville seems to be continuing on from the end of the first season with less over the top silliness and a bit more serious but it's not worse for it and I've been looking forward to it each week. They seem to know that their target audience is the Star Trek crowd and don't shy away from it, I also like that they're a lot more creative with their alien species than Star Trek ever was and there's an unpredictability in the episode , they appear to be following an old trope then don't follow the predictable ending they appeared to be. It's great to see some Star Trek cameos as well with Robert Picardo {Voyager's EMH) and John Billinglsey (Enterprise's Doctor Phlox) both having a turn recently.

Discovery on the other hand just seems awful and I can't bring myself to watch the third episode. They've carried on with the same concept as the first series with one long storyline although the pace is glacially slow and unfortunately it once again features Michael Burnham and so far has ignored the rest of the crew bar Tilly who is almost as annoying as Burnham. Stammets and Saru have both been shoved to the sidelines and we still have no idea who that android is on the bridge, how well those sleek augmetics work on the crew member who'd been badly injured or any of the rest of the crew. The series also continues its jarring disconnect between having sophisticated technology one moment looking years ahead of Voyager then the next moment they remember it's supposed to be a prequel and chuck in an old red alert noise or similar. Although the first series was poor I did like some of the concepts but it feels it's time to give up on it.

In light of that I've been going back to Deep Space Nine which seems even better than it was previously although I think that's just because it highlights how poorly depicted the characters are on Discovery. The series is of course horribly dated and not just the CGI, it perhaps wasn't so bad on a low resolution fuzzy CRT but on a sharp HD display many of the outfits and set dressings just look really cheap. However it doesn't take long to see past that and appreciate the show which gets so many different aspects correct and in particular that not everything is black and white. I didn't realise it was all the way back to the first series when a Cardassian comes to the station for medical treatment and who turns out to have been a file clerk at a Cardassian labour camp where the Bajorans had been treated as slaves and regularly beaten and killed. Further investigation shows he wasn't the file clerk but actually the brutal leader in charge responsible for the appalling conditions for the Bajorans and once unmasked, he brags about what he'd done for his people and wished he'd been able to kill more Bajorans perfectly fitting the image of a despised Cardassian the Bajorans have. However as they investigate further yet they realise he is actually just the file clerk and he had cosmetic surgery to look like the leader. The confused Bajoran in charge then asks why he's done this and he briefly maintains his fascade until he realises it's done and he crumbles in front of her admitting he lay in bed covering his ears to keep out the screaming from the Bajorans and felt a terrible guilt that he could do nothing to stop it. He had the cosmetic surgery done in the hope he'd have a very public trial and execution which would force Cardassia to admit its guilt and move forward. It set a tone which would continue with it turning out the Federation had some dark secrets as well.

On a non sci-fi note I've been keen on the new series of Hunted which initially I just find annoying but it quickly gets me hooked and I'm disappointed it's down the last episode next week already.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 09 Feb 2019, 23:43

Finshed season 3 of the good place. Well worth watching! its very funny and it has a heart!
LUHG
Born 28/11/2018

Return to “The Salmon Pond”