Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

What TV series have you watched?

Postby Johnmcl7 » 24 Apr 2018, 17:28

Replicant wrote:Source of the post
Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post
mrtoddie wrote:Source of the post Mindhunter - very good, worth a watch if you like crime / thriller. I really like the pacing as well, it never feels forced as it seems that they have much more of a free reign to develop the story with as much time as they need, rather than a fixed length format.

I thought it was a great TV series and in particular the way it made it all feel quite real as you see how horrible and disturbing the serial killers are with the effect it has on those doing the interviews. There was nothing flashy or fancy about it but it could still be remarkably gripping and it's quite a moment near the end.

With the new series of Westworld coming out I'm rewatching the original series which I was very impressed with the first time I watched it and still am on the second watching, it's a show that isn't spoiled by knowing what's happening as you can focus on other details. Plus the quality of it stunning both visually and the audio plus I think they've done a tremendous job making the technology of the world feel real from the way the artificial hosts behave right down to the design of the PDAs and phones.

This might sound like a silly question - You do realise it was all based on real events John? Even though it was 'dramatized.

Finished watching Westworld over the weekend for the first time (just in time for the new series). Loved it. I remember vaguely watching the old film many moons ago as well.

It's not a silly question, I thought it was all fictional until someone pointed out earlier in the thread it was real. I guess I wanted it to be fictional as I didn't want to think there are people that are so screwed up out there.

Westworld season 1 and 2 spoilers:
Spoiler:
I finished season 1 of Westworld and embarrassed how much I'd forgotten, I'd remember Maive had been programmed to escape, the maze was for the hosts, Dr Ford had organised to have himself shot but somehow had completely forgotten Bernard was Arnold (and all the scenes of him talking to Dolores are Arnold), that Dolores was Wyatt and Ford had changed his mind and agreed with Arnold so he'd spent 35 years trying to accomplish what Arnold had tried.

It was definitely better being able to watch it all back to back as I was concerned I wouldn't like it as much the first time but I thought it better this time. Unusually these days I like the fact that at the end of the series it answers almost all the questions rather than leaving most of it open as you'd expect these days. It's almost a self contained series and the finish is just brilliant, Anthony Hopkins is perfect for the role and I love the part where he's chatting to Dolores at the end and you start to realise actually he's not who he appeared to be and then the chat with Bernard confirms he is on their side with a touching handshake and 'good luck'.

At the moment I feel it shouldn't have had a second series as I can't see how it can measure up to the first and feel it would be better left as a single series but that's being unfair and I'm curious to see how they do with series 2. The trailer certainly looks good and clearly they're going for a completely different theme this time. There's not much happening in the first episode of series two but it was quite intriguing to see the aftermath of Delores' massacre, even though she has the Wyatt character it seemed a bit odd as she was running around murdering everyone but as she said herself she's jumping between the two extremes and will settle down in the middle.

For anyone wanting a quick recap of the first series, I thought these two videos were good:

There's a few clever little touches to confuse the timelines and I also liked that when Dolores realises it's her voice she's been hearing, it breaks down the voice in three words with Arnold's voice, Ford's voice and finally Dolores' own voice.
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
mrtoddie
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby mrtoddie » 02 May 2018, 09:20

The guy playing Edmund Kemper was pretty creepy!

Binge watched Aggretsuko last night. kept me entertained in the car whilst the wife was doing her running club.
Yeah!
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 02 May 2018, 10:18

Season finale of Final Space dropped online. Been a really good series! Very impressed with Olan Rogers first major series, and hope he gets a season 2!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 May 2018, 01:03

I've been struggling through Lost in Space on Netflix but given up on it after episode 6 as I'm just finding it awful. I've seen the film remake but not the original series and I'm not sure who this new series is aimed at as it feels like a dated kid's TV series with irritating genius kids and their rivalries plus parents who have split but might reconcile. Every moment something goes wrong and almost kills them but of course someone saves the day which takes all consequence out of it as you know they'll survive. All the characters seem to be incredibly shallow with no signs of any development or depth to them even after six episodes, the villain in particular is terrible and makes little sense. It only shows glimpses of what caused everyone to be lost in space which had kept me watching but rather than slowly build a picture of what happened it really drip feeds you very little information.

On a completely different note BBC have a new documentary series called Crash Detectives which as the name implies follows collision investigators who have to work out what the cause of a vehicle crash was. They've chosen a good variety and they do a great job showing everything including aspects such as potential suspects being interviewed and how they reacted which can be a key part of their investigation. Unfortunately many of the crashes are fatal and while that's a given it's still alarming seeing it in so much detail that very simple and avoidable causes have led to someone else's death.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 08 Jun 2018, 14:50

scarbunny wrote:Source of the post Started on Mr Robot, it's not bad.

Spoiler:
4 Episodes in to series 1 and it seems to just be Fight Club for nerds? Which is fine just not what I expected

Wow season 2 really shiv the bed. Struggling to make it through episodes right now.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Jun 2018, 17:48

I gave up a couple of episodes in and didn't seem worth the hassle getting back into it.
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 10 Jun 2018, 05:07

scarbunny wrote:Source of the post
scarbunny wrote:Source of the post Started on Mr Robot, it's not bad.

Spoiler:
4 Episodes in to series 1 and it seems to just be Fight Club for nerds? Which is fine just not what I expected

Wow season 2 really shiv the bed. Struggling to make it through episodes right now.

I struggled my way through series 2 and never even bothered with series 3.

I think that many US shows seem to try to hard to have ridiculous plot twists for no real reason other than to over complicate things.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Jun 2018, 01:21

The Sens8 finale is up on Netflix now which feels much like Serenity as it finishes the Sens8 storyline but obviously it has to abandon all the carefully built up plots and focus on the secretive nasty agency one. However accepting that there were going to be more series it's definitely good to have a proper finish rather than leaving us with the cliff hanger of season 2 and I've liked a lot of the use of music throughout the series but I loved the finish with Einaudi's Experience which is one of my favourite tracks. The little clips showing behind the scenes as the credits rolled by was a nice touch as well as you almost forget that these people can't actually just move round the world as they want and it's a hell of a lot of effort to film all that.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Jun 2018, 00:47

Aside from Westworld I'm not really watching much on the moment and was randomly browsing Netflix and thinking I've not been watching much on there for a while, any recommendations for new series?

John
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 22 Jun 2018, 12:02

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post Aside from Westworld I'm not really watching much on the moment and was randomly browsing Netflix and thinking I've not been watching much on there for a while, any recommendations for new series?

John

I am in exactly the same boat as you John. Not much around that is either original or appealing.
Y.N.W.A.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 22 Jun 2018, 20:54

Just finished archer season 9. There's a preview for season 10 at the end! Excited for the new setting! Right up my alley!

Finale of Westworld on Monday for those waiting until it finishes before box setting it!

Does the world cup count as a series? Watching what I can!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Jun 2018, 23:21

I've been keeping an eye out for Archer on Netflix but it's not appeared yet.

Although I'm not sure about the second series of Westworld I will admit I'm keen to see what happens on Monday and been freeze framing the trailer to try and pick out details.
Spoiler:
I'm guessing the black bars the same as the Cradle footage are to indicate they're in the Forge which would explain why we see Logan. My workmate pointed out that there's a huge 'crack' or projection in sky which you can see at 58 seconds when Maive shouts run and is with Hector, my workmate is wondering if Westworld is within a huge dome and that crack is showing the outside as it does look like you can see landscape beyond it. There is a device which looks to be projecting a light beacon at 45 degrees but it's the wrong angle and it's much more defined.

No, World Cup does not count :p

John

Return to “The Salmon Pond”