What TV series have you watched?

Anything goes here...
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 18 Feb 2018, 13:25

Ok, so i've finished Rick and Morty, Gravity Falls, and Archer. What next guys? Is adventure time worth getting into? Its over 200 episodes!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Feb 2018, 02:13

Adventure time is similar to Archer for me, fine to stick on in the background and an occasional laugh although I wasn't that taken with it otherwise. It's got a lot of fans though so that may just be me.

I've watched all of Altered Carbon on Netflix this weekend and thought it was fantastic from start to finish, as with a lot of the big TV series these days the quality is superb and feels much more like a film but has the advantage that it has much more time to develop the ideas and the world it's set in. It has a similar feel to Bladerunner and the core concept is that humans have the technology to separate the body and mind allowing people to transfer between bodies when a body dies, to upgrade, to impersonate others or even transfer between bodies to different planets. As a TV series it can explore what that sort of technology would mean for us but it's not a one trick pony, it's a great cast, the visuals are stunning and there's plenty great action sequences.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Feb 2018, 14:56

Storyville have a documentary on big game hunters in South Africa which is an uncomfortable watch but at the same time after another high school shooting it gives quite an insight into some of the minds of the pro-gun people:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... ontroversy

John
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 28 Feb 2018, 22:18

I think Fargo 3 was a step down from series 2 which I thought was fantastic.

Watched the latest Star Trek episode last week and didn't realise it was the season finale. It feels more like a mid season pause.
Y.N.W.A.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 28 Feb 2018, 22:38

Final space is finally out! 2 EPs in and it's pretty good! Ep 3 dropped last night so I'll watch it tomorrow!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 01 Mar 2018, 19:32

Ep3 was really good! Still got the lols (very dark lol!) and feels!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Mar 2018, 00:25

Replicant wrote:Source of the post I think Fargo 3 was a step down from series 2 which I thought was fantastic.

Watched the latest Star Trek episode last week and didn't realise it was the season finale. It feels more like a mid season pause.

I wasn't that keen on season 2, I preferred season 1 to it although I liked season 3 aside from Vargas being a bit over the top although
Spoiler:
I though the scene between Vargas and Nicky in the hotel area was great as they sparred with each and because you find she genuinely did want to be with Ray. I also liked the finish with Gloria being able to use the automatic drier after a touching moment with the other cop.
That's just a slight preference though as I thought all three were great and definitely a good recommendation as I doubt I've have ever looked into it otherwise.

Star Trek Discovery spoilers:
Spoiler:
I thought that was an odd episode and it just feels a bit confused at the moment as it was meant to be focused on the Klingons yet we had a lengthy time away from them with the mirror universe then the shock revelation the Klingons had won the war they then bizarrely just threw that away with a ridiculously convenient fix. There's always glimmers of something better with the series but whether it can actually develop that and move in a consistent direction remains to be seen.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Mar 2018, 02:14

Well that's Orville finished as well
Spoiler:
and I feel it's been a bit weaker the last few weeks with a disappointing finale. It seems to have wandered a bit too much towards Star Trek and less of the amusing side which made it appealing and the last episode wasn't just very Star Trek like but was an almost identical retread of the Voyager episode Blink of an Eye. In that episode, Voyager approaches a strange planet which has a civilisation in the stone age but realise due to its very fast rotation, time is passing much faster there and the civilisation is quickly evolving. However Voyager realises that the population worship them as the sky ship and they send an artifical lifeform down to the planet (the Doctor) since he doesn't have a finite lifespan. Eventually the people on the planet develop starships and approach Voyager to pull it out of orbit, one side which does differ is that Voyager is stuck in the orbit of the planet and causing earthquakes on the planet which at one point they try to shoot Voyager down first.

I'm sure it's no coincidence the two are the same but it's a shame they do nothing with it and play it almost exactly the same.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 16 Mar 2018, 22:44

Well sadly a TV series we won't be watching any more is Robot Wars as it's been cancelled:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/robot-wars ... ee-series/

It's extremely frustrating in so many different ways but particularly because the last series was the easily the best one and they've done a great job with the reboot. I've been involved with STEM at work (a UK wide project to encourage pupils into engineering and science subjects) and Robot Wars was a great way of taking many fascinating engineering concepts and making them fun. Plus I can't see it was that big an investment given they only had to provide the arena for a short time with the competitors forking out all the money for the increasingly sophisticated robots.

Obviously there's plenty disappointed and now trying to drum up interest in the hope someone else will pick it up.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 19 Mar 2018, 13:21

The thing that annoys me most about the decision is the justification that it is to "to create room for new shows", as they commission the 100th series of Dragons Den while continuing to show both QI and QI:XL with Top Gear repeated on Monday. If only they had a third broadcast channel which catered for slightly niche programming.
mrtoddie

Postby mrtoddie » 19 Mar 2018, 16:28

Mindhunter - very good, worth a watch if you like crime / thriller. I really like the pacing as well, it never feels forced as it seems that they have much more of a free reign to develop the story with as much time as they need, rather than a fixed length format.
Yeah!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Apr 2018, 23:05

mrtoddie wrote:Source of the post Mindhunter - very good, worth a watch if you like crime / thriller. I really like the pacing as well, it never feels forced as it seems that they have much more of a free reign to develop the story with as much time as they need, rather than a fixed length format.

I thought it was a great TV series and in particular the way it made it all feel quite real as you see how horrible and disturbing the serial killers are with the effect it has on those doing the interviews. There was nothing flashy or fancy about it but it could still be remarkably gripping and it's quite a moment near the end.

With the new series of Westworld coming out I'm rewatching the original series which I was very impressed with the first time I watched it and still am on the second watching, it's a show that isn't spoiled by knowing what's happening as you can focus on other details. Plus the quality of it stunning both visually and the audio plus I think they've done a tremendous job making the technology of the world feel real from the way the artificial hosts behave right down to the design of the PDAs and phones.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 16 Apr 2018, 10:46

Started on Mr Robot, it's not bad.

Spoiler:
4 Episodes in to series 1 and it seems to just be Fight Club for nerds? Which is fine just not what I expected
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 17 Apr 2018, 00:26

It's a while since I watched Mr Robot but I remember my enjoyment coming primarily from the technical accuracy of the hacks and technology rather than the actual storyline.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”