What TV series have you watched?

Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Jan 2018, 18:14

I think as Chris has said, it's just the difference in the design of the chassis as Eruption seemed to be functionally fine otherwise - there's a good still here of Apollo lifting Sir Killalot, it makes you appreciate how big the flipper is compared to Eruption:

http://robotwars.wikia.com/wiki/Apollo? ... alot_2.jpg

Eruption seems to benefit for its smaller size with better armour although there's quite a bit of discussion on how well Apollo would have done with Eruption's driver.

I'm really not sure what the point of these two episodes were as it was clear from the outset that the foreign robots wouldn't even remotely stand a chance against the UK robots, if they were trying to get some more airtime out of the series I'd have liked to have seen a bit more behind the scenes as there's a lot of interesting stuff that happens but never seen on TV. Such as Carbide having weapon shut down problems and needing Sir Killalot to pin it down while it was disarmed or that crazy huge spinner robot that apparently damaged the arena on its first go as well. There seem to be licensing and legal issues between the different series which is why I'm assuming we didn't see any other decent robots, I know Carbide isn't allowed to compete in the US version of Robot Wars and instead they've built a second, similar model under a different name. That said, the rules for the US robots seem different and the US Carbide didn't get very far so perhaps they didn't want the UK robots getting soundly trashed.

The US robot it turns out, wasn't even theirs - it was one they borrowed:

https://www.facebook.com/fuzzymauldin/p ... 5021246663

Weber did ok but not exceptional which people were putting down to inexperience but it turns out that robot is just 70kg, making it a lightweight compared to the 110kg weights it was up against and think it did impressively well given how much lighter it was.
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Jan 2018, 03:46

A series called Wreck Trek caught my eye as I had a friend who had done a charity run taking a cheap car from Edinburgh to Mongolia, this series is the same idea taking cheap cars from Germany to South Africa. However it seems they're going for more of a Top Gear vibe as the people's abilities seem a bit questionable. I'm not even sure how they organised the group as they mostly seemed to dislike each other and they seem woefully unprepared, only one of them is a mechanic and one in the group can't even drive a manual. The mechanic seems questionable as well because when the 200 euro Renault 19 they bought wouldn't start, they took it a main Renault dealer who unsurprisingly struggled with a near 30 year old Renault and weren't cheap. Then when the same car failed on the motorway they blamed it on the driver (who had only been driving it a short time) and diagnosed it as a head gasket failure even though it had none of the symptoms.

They then spent a day going round garages trying to get the repair done for under 500 Euros, eventually got a garage who agreed to have a look and give the a definite cost. They initially diagnosed a faulty alternator (even though the car didn't have any power issues) then a faulty clutch as the reason the car wasn't starting even though it was engaging drive fine. Eventually they gave up and did what they should have from the start and bought another second hand Renault 19 for 270 Euros which was newer and better than the one they had, it was clearly never going to be worth repairing the original car.

Shortly after I decided to give up on that one.

Star Trek Discovery is back on with a solid episode although again I wish there wasn't any of the Klingon stuff as it just distracts from the more interesting parts of the episode.

Also getting back into Hunted which as usual is a bit questionable in how they do it but still quite good to follow.

I saw a few headlines about the new series of Black Mirror and tried to watch the first one of the third series which is about an exaggerated world where social media likes are actually important in the real world although didn't manage to finish it as it's quite awkward to watch which is intentional I guess. I skipped to the first of the fourth series which is quite a good one about a CTO of a tech firm which makes an advanced VR system, can't any more without spoiling it. The second one is about a child being fitted with a test implant that allows the parent to track the child, see what they're seeing and even filter it which as it often is with Black Mirror well thought out particularly a lot of the rest of the technology in it.

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 13 Jan 2018, 14:04

Need to get back into the Orville. Only seen 2 episodes. We've been watching bones on fox. They're replaying the entire series from the beginning. Very light TV!

I've been watching archer on my commute. Not hands down hilarious but really enjoying the tone of it! And the fact so many of the voices are from other shows I watch it's been a lovely change from my Rick and Morty addiction!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Jan 2018, 22:32

I'm really liking Orville and episode 5 had some brilliant moments
Spoiler:
I had a laugh at Isaac pointing out that his 'eyes' were not actually functional and just there to make other humans comfortable with him and his practical joke was impressive. That was quite a scene when he's explaining how his joke was both creative and unexpected to the pilot hopping on one leg shouting at Isaac. Also when they were rescuing the Captain I was amused at the pilot commenting that it was imperative they rescue her as she was visually appealing. I also loved the chief engineer having a cordless drill given to him by his grandfather that he never thought he'd have a use for.

Archer is an odd one, I wouldn't say it's that funny however I've watched it all as it's easy to have on in the background. Some of the stupid jokes like the 'mawp'/tinnitus ones or the 'phrasing!' ones make me laugh.

I've unfortunately finished Black Mirror which while hard to watch at times particularly that 80's episode which I found quite upsetting, it's all well done and the stories are quite gripping.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 14 Jan 2018, 23:13

Yeah, enjoying archer but it's definitely a weird one! It has a few lol moments each episode!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 15 Jan 2018, 00:03

EviL Ras wrote:Source of the post Yeah, enjoying archer but it's definitely a weird one! It has a few lol moments each episode!

EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 17 Jan 2018, 00:37

This looks good given that 7 minute pilot a year ago! The show is now green lit and that's the trailer for its 26th Feb release! Hope I can get hold this!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 17 Jan 2018, 22:38

Been watching Inside No9. Very well written and can be described as modern day Tales of the Unexpected,

Love it
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Jan 2018, 02:02

Anyone watched End of the f****ing world which was on four and now also on Netflix? I've seen a few glowing recommendations for it but after a few episodes I'm not very taken with it.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 20 Jan 2018, 12:37

I saw a meme saying bright should have been a series, and end of the F world should have been a film. Think that sums it up!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 Jan 2018, 21:26

Fargo series 3 is now on Netflix for those that missed it on channel 4 which I'd highly recommend.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Feb 2018, 02:37

"Damage report?"
"Multiple hull fractures, 9 power banks damaged and...Ensign Davis spilt soy sauce on his pants"
"He put that in a damage report?"
"Yes"
"My god, we've got to get better people"

I was in a bit of a foul mood this evening and the Orville is just what I needed and it's quickly become something I've really been looking forward to each week, I liked Isaac from the start and he's very much my favourite. Still hoping to see a bit more from engineering as I've liked the glimpses we've seen of the Chief so far.

With Discovery though I'm not so sure though as I've been looking forward to it each week but it seems to still have so many issues.
Spoiler:
Enterprise has the right idea with the mirror universe, just dip into it for a double parter and don't take it too seriously whereas Discovery trying to take the mirror universe seriously and spends too much time in the mirror universe as it just gets silly.

I was disappointed with Lorca as well as I liked him as the Captain of the Discovery in that he's not really the Starfleet way with a pretty brutal side but he's who you need in time of war, the whole idea of him being the mirror universe one seems a bit over the top anyway but really didn't like his sudden change in the mirror universe to being a nasty piece of work rather than a considerate leader of the rebels.

Still the episode stood out for not having any Klingons at all (until the end) and felt all the better for it. I was hoping that there was going to be a huge twist and they were going to re-enter our universe centuries after beyond even Voyager's time which would give them the odd mix of being dinosaurs themselves but having a drive system that is much more advanced. I'd been reading a book which is around the 14th in the series and starts with the soldiers returning from a near suicide mission on a ship not expected to last, its warp engines fail and it's forced to do an emergency re-entry to normal space which it does but skips ten years in which time the mission has been written off and the people all assumed dead. They then have to fit back in having received various posthumous honours and of course some parts are very different, some are still the same. I guess with Discovery doing the same might be seen as a cheat and unsatisfying to not finish the Klingon war but it really seems at its worst when it features the Klingons and its best when they're not in it.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 03 Feb 2018, 17:41

Really enjoying The Orville here! Its a good mix of old school Trek, modern storylines, and silly thrown in humour! Even when they called the gravity well the glory hole!

Loved the practical jokes they did with Isaac! Absolutely hilarious!

Finished all 8 seasons of archer now. Archer Vice was ok. Archer dreamland is a bit of a stretch. Not sure what Archer danger island will be like!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 09 Feb 2018, 03:03

I liked the Glory Hole comment as well particularly when Bortus announces they are now entering the glory hole and Ed tries to correct him. Isaac's practical joke is one of my favourite parts so far from the start when Isaac explains that his 'eye' are just there for humanoids to be more comfortable with speaking to him and are not functional, the extremity of the practical joke which obviously could be done within that universe and then when sitting beside Isaac he apologises saying 'I'm sorry for calling you a son of a bitch earlier Isaac, that was one of the best practical jokes I've ever seen."

Although as silly as Orville is, worryingly it does some aspects better than Discovery and what really stands out about Discovery is that we've really not seen much of the crew on Discovery outside of some of the main ones. There's some varied individuals on the bridge but there's almost nothing we know of them, while we don't need shuttle accidents like the tongue in cheek one in Orville I'd still like to see a little effort to show these characters. I thought it was a fairly weak episode this week.

The Biggest Little Railway on Channel4 finished on Sunday and while some of the time it suffered from an odd level of incompetence I thought it was great seeing the Scottish scenery I've cycled and walked along plus the little steam engine always looked so happy as it puffed along the track.
Spoiler:
When the engineers emerged on the last hill and they could see Inverness, the route the little engine came down including the incredible helter skelter climb is a route I use frequently on the mountain bike to reach a popular spot for downhill riding.

There's a new series on Netflix called Drug lords which is a documentary on various drug enterprises starting off with the Medeillin cartel and prominently featuring the real Pena and Murphy as seen in Narcos. It's a good counterpart to the program and it's scary how accurate Narcos was as it seemed too ridiculous to be true. I haven't watched the rest of the series as I haven't watched all of Narcos and want to see it there first but seemed good so far.

Also on Netflix is a new documentary series from Alex Gibney who is known for his films on Enron, Lance Armstrong and Scientology, I thought the Armstrong Lie was good so gave this a go. The first episode is about VW dieselgate which I only managed about five minutes into and couldn't handle any more of the nonsense about how VW has destroyed the US air quality with their vicious assault, yes it was fraudulent but I get fed up with how much it gets blown out of proportion. The second episode is about a race car driver called Scott Tucker who operated an impressively shady loan business and what's a bit different about it is the program gets a lot of input from those involved with the business and who try to defend it. The next episode is about Valeant Pharmaceuticals, a huge company which operated by simply buying a company, dumping their R&D then hugely increasing the price of the drug which was a scary look into the American insurance companies which are quite scary anyway. The fourth one is about HSBC and their frequent trouble with money laundering which was quite an eye opener as I'd no idea about any of that.

The final one is about Donald Trump which is what had caught my eye about the series, I already knew he'd been an awful business person and much of what had his name on it was purely a licensing deal and usually nothing to do with him. However even then I didn't realise just quite how useless he'd been and that with the Apprentice, the producers had deliberately bigged him up to make him appear more impressive which had the disastrous effect of people thinking he was actually that good which why many voted for him as president.

All the episodes are well put together and would definitely recommend them for those into documentaries.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 17 Feb 2018, 21:41

Gravity falls. Absolutely brilliant! No idea how Disney showed this on TV! Bill is crazy!! Shame it's only 2 series!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14

Return to “The Salmon Pond”