Dear Blog V XV - the blog strikes back

Anything goes here...
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Dear Blog V XV - the blog strikes back

Postby Tappy » 08 May 2014, 09:39

Dear Blog,

Well... it's the Eurovision second Semi-Final tonight, and remember that this is the semi that we can vote in (because I know you'll all be watching). Which will probably mean that Ireland will qualify, because we do love a bit of Ireland (even if they have once again decided not to use Jedward to represent them).

Conchita and her/his beard will be performing, although I think it's Riskykidd, who will be rapping for Greece, that you will find more amusing.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 08 May 2014, 11:48

Dear blog,

couldn't find it last night. I really want ireland in!!
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 08 May 2014, 13:22

Dear Blog,

I watched The Graham Norton show yesterday. Molly was on that. That's about the extent of my Eurovision watchings so far! And most probably most of it too!
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 08 May 2014, 13:50

Dear blog,

come on Robin... You know you'll be interested really!
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 08 May 2014, 18:11

Dear Blog,

No semi final last night, just Tuesday and Thursday.

On a different topic, anyone brewed their own beer? There are loads of places to get stuff from, but is there anything I should know?
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 08 May 2014, 21:55

Dear Blog,

My mate's brewed a few kegs himself. I'll ask him for any pointers and let you know what he says.

My laptop has started to make some odd grinding noises. Not sure if it's the fan chugging away or the hdd....... Phew, just turned off my laptop cooler and it appears to be that. The trusty Zalman ZM-NC1000 from Rock in '06 might need a clean and some tlc!!
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 09 May 2014, 14:38

Dear blog,

my mates won awards for his nettle beer in marple.

eurovision was fun! some mad acts! Final should be interesting!

sad times Robin. it was almost new laptop time!
LUHG
Born 28/11/2018
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 10 May 2014, 00:14

Dear Blog,

A curry and a couple of beers had with a mate back from overseas work. Fun but bed and to work in the morning for me.

My mate says there's no real secrets to home brew: just go ahead and do it! Following whatever instructions you're given that is.

Yeah, it still is kinda though. Win 8 doesn't work properly on my laptop (gave up looking for bespoke Sony drivers for the video card long ago) but wanting a Surface/Surface Mini as there's nothing too exciting at the 13" screen size at the mo. Nor will there be so in the foreseeable future me thinks.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 12 May 2014, 09:27

Dear Blog,

Cheers for the beer pointers. I've ordered a kit off-of Tesco Direct and will see how it goes. Also discovered that my wife's creditcard is registered to my Tesco account. So in fact, Mrs Tap ordered a beer brewing kit... she's kind like that.

I enjoyed Eurovision, I kept off the Twitters and concentrated on Facebook for John's benefit ;)
Also did the 100% Agave Tequila drinking game / hangover experiment, which was a success! A bit surprised Mr Wurst won, but in all honesty, there were no stand out songs and he was certainly memorable.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 12 May 2014, 12:03

Dear blog,

i bet you recorded Poland..
LUHG
Born 28/11/2018
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 May 2014, 14:00

Dear Blog,

I guess we're not friends on Facebook then?

John
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 13 May 2014, 00:30

Dear Blog,

Tappy wrote:I kept off the Twitters and concentrated on Facebook for John's benefit ;)

Johnmcl7 wrote:I guess we're not friends on Facebook then?

#awks
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 May 2014, 00:42

Dear Blog,

After a few mishaps with mountain bike outings (no-one turning up then not being told of the time for the next run) I had an ill fated go at a small MTB event. The weather was terrible but one of those days where you hope for the best. The track was incredibly muddy and soft, better yet I went chasing after the lead group not realising they didn't know where they were going and the guidance signs had fallen over. I was doing an absolutely hellish hill climb when I came across a marshall who told me I was going the wrong way as I was supposed to be going down that section. I took a different path and tried to rejoin the loop I should have been on, didn't really find it then decided I'd had enough of being muddy and soaked right though (the bike was making a worrying variety of noises) so managed to find the finishing line clocking in one of the last places. One small consolation that of the cyclists that went the wrong way I covered the most miles...

Went out for another casual cycle on Sunday which went well, good weather and a good variety of cyclists. The straps arrived today for the road bike so had it out on a run tonight which felt better than the clipless pedals, the knee is a bit sore (well more doesn't feel right) but I think that's because it had hadn't healed properly by the weekend and I gave my knees a complete hammering on the hill climbs. Great evening for a ride tonight anyway.

I decided to have a stab at pitching my new tent but on unpacking it I found a third security tag which didn't trigger the sensors at the shop so it was another trip back to the shop to get it removed by which time I'd lost the inclination to put it up. Will maybe have a go tomorrow.

There's been some interesting analysis on Eurovision voting specifically on the difference of opinion between the public and the judges, the British public were apparently rather keen on the Polish girls' outfits while the judges went for the Austrian act which somehow lead to the Polish act getting no points or something. I'm sure Tappy has a more in depth analysis.

Anyway I'm writing rather a lot of crap as I'm totally addicted to Voyager on Amazon Instant Video so it's gone from having it on while I'm doing something on the PC to trying to find stuff to do on the PC while I watch Voyager on instant video.

John
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 13 May 2014, 09:50

Dear Blog,

Johnmcl7 wrote:Dear Blog,

There's been some interesting analysis on Eurovision voting specifically on the difference of opinion between the public and the judges, the British public were apparently rather keen on the Polish girls' outfits while the judges went for the Austrian act which somehow lead to the Polish act getting no points or something. I'm sure Tappy has a more in depth analysis.

John

Well, I'm glad you asked! It's nothing too unusual, in the Eastern European countries, since the public tend to either be rather fond of their neighbouring countrymen or really hate them, the jury and public votes tend to differ. And that's what the jury are there for, to reduce the effects of political voting by spliting the vote with 'neutral' judges - who are occasionally bribed...

Aside from our love for Ireland, we are traditionally quite close to the jury. Although the jury, it seems, has a side effect of reducing drunken bloke just home from pub voting too! Now, personally I think that should be part of the appeal, it's not just the song, but the performance, and that girl churned her butter really well...! But aside from adding a sex appeal category to the jury, there's probably no easy way to stop bad songs with boobies from scoring better with booby lovers than song lovers!

And yeah, cause me and John aren't friends on facebook, we've never met each other! This is how these kids get into trouble, friending everyone they meet in a chatroom on Facebook. As far as I know, John could be old Scottish man in his 30's... you have to be careful.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 May 2014, 16:53

Dear Blog,

I managed to get the new tent put up and as expected it was a heck of a lot more difficult to pack up, no matter how I rolled it up I couldn't get it small enough. With considerable effort and keeping the bag of accessories/pump separate it's in the bag at least.

John

Return to “The Salmon Pond”