Dear Blog V XV - the blog strikes back

Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Oct 2017, 22:57

Dear Blog,

I got very handy with quicklinks on the fat bike which for some reason kept breaking its chain (a KMC one) although after trashing it completely on a 24 hour event, I didn't hesitate to replace it. Although I have plenty 10 speed quicklinks, I haven't bought any 11-speed ones despite two of my bikes now being 11-speed as the cost seems crazy but I should really just buy some before I'm in the middle of nowhere and badly regret not having any.

It's great to get a better time after all that even just with the mud as that is harder going than you realise, there was one winter I felt my fitness was way off as my speed was slow but then as the trails dried up, I was quickly finding it much easier and faster. On a 24 hour event I did last winter the conditions were much warmer than usual which people were surprised was such a problem but it turns the whole track into a very soft, muddy mess with the massive number of bikes churning up and even the massive tyres on the fat bike made it really, really hard going as the bike just wasn't rolling at all. The previous year it was much colder and while some of the higher sections were a bit treacherous being icy, the rest of it was much better as the ground was firm, held together and the bike rolled a lot better.

I'm just getting back into muddy riding and used to riding at night on the soft muddy trails without suspension although I had an odd experience with the fat bike last week that near the end of the ride the bike just seemed really hard work. I stopped and checked the front tyre and found it was running at 0 psi (a fat bike tyre doesn't go completely flat like a normal tyre), pumped it up again, got going but the back was squirming around and checked to find it was also at 0 psi. I pumped it up and thought both tyres must be punctured but couldn't complain after three years of riding, got it home, checked at the weekend and both tyres were holding the higher pressure fine. Back out tonight and they're still holding pressure. Thankfully no events coming up so it's not too much of an issue, I've been debating whether to give some CX racing a go but it's hard to know how serious people are going to be.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 20 Oct 2017, 14:32

dear blog,
need to get back out on the bike.

Speaking of backs, mine is borked. Called the doctor and as expected, keep mobile, drugs and stop crying.

*cries*
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Oct 2017, 00:45

Dear Blog,

Did you get a new bike in the end? What have you done to your back?
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 23 Oct 2017, 16:37

Dear blog,
Have stopped cycling this summer along with all other forms of exercise so imagine the bike will be in the garage till next spring. Luckily I didn't buy a new either.

No idea what happened with back, was in agony friday morning but by today I'm pretty much back to normal, just a little tight in the stretches.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Nov 2017, 19:05

Dear Blog,

It's five years this week since I started mountain biking after picking up an ex-rental hardtail and joining a newly formed group to go out on Thursday nights. At the time I was looking to extend my cycling beyond just commuting but had struggled to find a suitable group, looking back it seems a bit crazy starting mountain bike riding at night when I didn't have the fitness, any technique, suitable lights and any proper equipment. I guess at the time I didn't really know what it involved and when I wanted to pack it in almost straight was encouraged by the people in the group to keep going.

I'm very glad I did stick with it and had a good anniversary ride last night with just one other but he's one of the people that also started with the group. After a bit of hassle with my fork having an unusual design I fitted the mudguard and hadn't realised how much I was bracing myself for mud, it felt quite odd not getting covered at certain times. It's not bad on the slow sections but when you leave the muddy parts and onto faster firetrack, the dollops of mud get flung off the tyres and go generally everywhere.

When I started the Garmin it prompted to set up emergency contacts to enable incident detection which is a feature on the higher end Garmins where it uses the accelerometer to detect if the bike has possibly crashed, You then get 30 seconds to cancel the prompt on the Garmin otherwise it will text/e-mail your emergency contact with your GPS co-ordinates. It turns out my Garmin does have the necessary hardware so will enable it and give it a go, there's certainly a lot of potential for false positives but as long as there's not too many it could be a useful feature when I'm out on my own.

John

Return to “The Salmon Pond”