Dear Blog V XV - the blog strikes back

Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 28 Nov 2016, 01:40

Dear Blog,

Ah I wondered if it was for a visit or to pick her up when you posted your picture on the train. My Mum was watching a puppy program where they track several litters from when they are born to when they go to their homes and I was quite shocked how different the sizes were of the collie pups, they kept referring to one as being very big but when they had him on the scales he was huge compared to the smallest in the litter. I've seen all these rules for which in the litter to choose but with Jake it was easy, he and his black brother were the last ones left and we liked the idea of the roan. With Alfie it was more difficult as his blue roan and orange roan brothers were still available and the blue roan brother we had decided against was very welcoming to my Mum and Alfie pretty much ignored her. In the end we decided that you don't know how they're going to turn out so we chose Alfie on his spot on his flank :)

He is small for a cocker whereas Jake was big (mistaken several times for a springer despite his roan colouring) to the degree he's frequently mistaken for a little lady but I don't mind, he's that bit easier to pick up than Jake was.

I'm really pleased you'll have the puppy for Christmas as I think it will make a huge difference, it's great to have something to focus your love and attention at a time when you're most likely to be missing those you've lost.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 28 Nov 2016, 09:29

Dear Blog,

Cheers Matt!

John, i think Mui was the runt of the litter too! We certainly didnt intend to do that again! But sometimes you and the puppy just click! And as they were all white, we could literally have flipped a coin! The one that was already chosen had the champagne coloured ears. When we put them back in the pen with their mum they all suddenly woke up and started fighting! So we know she can hold her own!

Its still going to be hard saying goodbye to mui at christmas, but the biggest problem now will be making time for her! As we want to get her a decent send off. But at least Jijig will be there to make everyone smile again. Well, that and the 2 bottles of dom perignon 2004 we intend to toast Mui with.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby jurassicjim » 28 Nov 2016, 13:17

Dear blog,

Very cute Ras! Does Jin Jing mean anything or is it just a name?

j
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 28 Nov 2016, 14:59

Deaf Blog,

Cheers Jim! Jin Jing means "little" or "small" in mongolian. So it can also be read as "cute".

She's the smallest in the litter so it made sense! Mui Mui meant little sister, or cute sister sort of thing. So carrying on the trend!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 29 Nov 2016, 15:50

Dear blog,

EviL Ras wrote:Source of the post Deaf Blog,

Cheers Jim! Jin Jing means "little" or "small" in mongolian. So it can also be read as "cute".

She's the smallest in the litter so it made sense! Mui Mui meant little sister, or cute sister sort of thing. So carrying on the trend!

Nice! I love the meaning :)

j
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 02 Dec 2016, 23:26

Dear Blog

That is a super cute puppy Ras, we are looking to get a kitten but there is limited supply over here and we are too picky.

Ugh sorry for the following.

Not sure if this is really the right place to bring this up, it's almost defiantly not, and I'm not after sympathy or anything with it. But I'm having trouble processing whats happened and maybe posting here will at least make it feel a little more real. On Monday lunchtime my father-in-law [1] had a massive stroke and passed away soon after, I never really realised how found I was of the old man and now he's gone I can't help but feel I've let him down.

[1]Not really because I was always too self-absorbed to get married, which is now one of many regrets as it means Vikki (my other half, obviously, this doesn't really seem like the kind of post where referring to her as the missus is suitable) can never walk down the aisle with her farther.

I was going to go into detail about staying with him whilst they turned of the machines and how horrific it was, but that seems superfluous. Anyway the funeral is next Friday, I have been asked to be a pallbearer with his son and his other son-in-laws, which feels like an honour in a way. I also understand some of the reasons behind getting married, and am warming to the idea of children, I assume this is just grief manifesting in a weird way and will pass, similar to the new road rage I have been experiencing.

Vikki is utterly crushed as you would expect, although the normal response is "she is as good as can be expected" because no one really wants the truth when they ask how your doing.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 03 Dec 2016, 00:40

Dear blog

shiv mate, I'm really sorry to hear that. That sounds crushing for the 2 of you as well as the rest of the family. All you can do is be as strong as you can for Vikki.

I hope the funeral and wake goes ok.

Its nowhere near the same, but with my grandad and Mui, i've found thinking of all the ways they enriched my life have helped in moving on. whereas Mrs Ras struggles with looking at old photos. I've also found talking to them before bed (even tho it does nothing and i know its just for my own mind) has also helped.

If you need anything at all or theres anyway we can help just ask.

Except for finding a cat.. i'm not a fan of cats..
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 Dec 2016, 03:46

Dear Blog,

That's terrible news Chris and I'm really sorry to hear that. My Mum lost her closest friend earlier this year just a few months before her first son was getting married and it was very sudden as well, she wasn't feeling great, felt worse later on and then died the next day as she'd got some vicious infection which couldn't be stopped. My relationship was obviously different to her than to your father in law although I thought initially i'd need to give my Mum a lot of support but I found it a lot harder to deal with than I thought, my Mum and I have been helping her friend's widow as it's been very difficult to for him and the house still feels oddly vacant.

I saw Richard Osman had linked to this day which I thought was well written:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Assistance/com ... h=0b524d07

After the US election there were quite a lot of silly pictures implying that Biden was a prankster and always wanting to do silly stuff so amidst that, someone posted a video of Biden talking about grief. It starts around 3:30 on this video and it's quite a heartfelt and honest talk he gives as he's suffered some terrible losses which he talks about he tried to deal with them after:

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 03 Dec 2016, 09:01

Dear Chris,
Sorry for your loss and you have my manhugs across our pond.

I'm not in the exact same position, but seeing my nan (in remission) and my parents with my Niece this year has changed my outlook in life and where I want to go in the future. I still haven't figured out if it's marriage and kids but it's a conversation I need to have, I'm now 15 years with Nikki and we have a house and stable income so there's no reason not to start a family but for whatever reason, we are not there yet.

I do feel guilty towards risking my nan not see me get married when I know my brother's partner has ruled it out and I consider myself to have two sets of loving parents on both sides with Nikki. Similarly, on all sides they would love be great/grandparents again. I know it is no replacement for your loss, but I've had some skype conversations with my parents whilst I've been working away and they've sent some kind emails back about how proud they are of what I'm doing. Too often in life it is not until something is gone that you realize what you have or take the time out to let them know quite how much you appreciate their support, but I'm reassured from our time on the forums and FB chats and rants your father in law would also have been proud of the people you have become, what you have achieved and where you are heading, on whichever path that takes.

I'm the last in my group in a committed relationship to get married, but also have been in the longest relationship. Have I done it right? No. Am I happy with where I am today? mostly. Do I want more in the future, absolutely.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 06 Dec 2016, 00:39

Dear blog,

Sorry for the late notice of this. Sorry to hear that Scar and hope all's starting to get better or become clearer - if it can so soon. Not sure I can add much to what's been said already. Sending brohugs and a pot of spam your way! :spam:
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 13 Dec 2016, 13:51

Dear Blog

Cheers all for the kid words. Funeral went well, or at least as well as it can, although there was a little too much "God" for a man with no faith, but then again it was held in the premiere Christianity franchise on the island so I guess we can forgive them some God talk. The wake was pretty good, its a shame that we were brought together for such a sad reason but everyone had a really good time, the buffet was particularly good.

Life is still a mess, we are spending every third night at her mothers house as she doesn't want to be alone, which would be fine but we are stuck sleeping on a terrible old sofa bed so quality of sleep is terrible. There is a massive argument brewing at the minute so its not going to get better anytime soon.

Bah, more importantly I might have a new car in the next few months.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 13 Dec 2016, 14:13

Dear blog,

Glad it hear it went as well as expected. It will take time for your mother in law to settle. But sooner or later that bandaid needs to be ripped off, if that makes sense.

You going to cheer yourself up with a nice Porsche then?
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 13 Dec 2016, 16:09

Dear Blog,

White Cayenne. Only £250.

scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 14 Dec 2016, 12:21

Dear Blog

EviL Ras wrote:Source of the post
You going to cheer yourself up with a nice Porsche then?

Unfortunately not, I couldn't justify that sort of money on a car especially with the relatively low mileage I do over here and I don't particularly like driving so it's a large expense I wouldn't get much pleasure from.

Just going for a new 5 Door Mini Cooper S Auto, I know I've had nothing but trouble with my current Mini but there really isn't anything else on the market at the minute I like and we managed to get a very good lease deal on it so we are paying about the same as the old car but with a much higher spec. I'll probably regret the decision to lease in the long run, but for now it works as we need to get rid of the current car. Although saying that the missus is talking about keeping the current Mini for herself, which almost makes some sense despite the potential issues it has.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 14 Dec 2016, 14:22

dear blog,
after 4 weeks in a "newish" fiesta I'm more drawn to the idea of leasing as i've drunkenly rambled on the Tp group. I just need to start a car fund savings account in January and that gives me 15 months to save towards the next whip, if it's a bad year lease might be the only reasonable option, a good year and hopefully I chop in the bimmer for something less saloony.

in other news, properly enjoyed my day in Kruger park yesterday, although a touch fored in a tourist jeep session, we saw loads of animals in their own back yard. Something magical about that.

Spent today catching up on some work admin so I can sign off for the year and watching some elephants walk past our lodge. Safari safely ticked off the bucket list for now, would do it again for sure!

Return to “The Salmon Pond”