Dear Blog V XV - the blog strikes back

Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Jul 2017, 03:22

Dear Blog,

I decided I'd have a go at a big ride this weekend and take the train down and ride back up, checked the train and found while it was a little pricey at £18 I could get first class for that and get in just at the right time to get a good daylight window. However I hit a small flaw when I went to go buy the ticket and I couldn't actually take the bike with me, nor could I take the bike on the train before or the two trains after. Instead it would have to be the third train after only getting me in early afternoon which would likely mean having to do the latter part of ride in darkness and also paying £30 for a standard-class seat in a crappy old train. By comparison my petrol thirsty car could make it 50% further to Edinburgh and all the way back to Inverness for a similar cost.

Part of me thinks I should just go ahead with it having decided to finally do it but then paying so much money for a substandard service that doesn't really do what I want is not easy to take. I can't really book much in advance as I need to see how the weather is going to be.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 13 Jul 2017, 08:19

dear blog,
Nielsen paid £170 for a day trip for me to leeds the other week. Trains suck!
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 13 Jul 2017, 11:35

Dear blog,

Getting someone to make a logo for me. gone from 6 to these 2.

kikiEvilras_v2.png

ARISEvilras_V1.png

Any thoughts?
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Jul 2017, 14:47

matt wrote:Source of the post dear blog,
Nielsen paid £170 for a day trip for me to leeds the other week. Trains suck!

Dear Blog,

Yeah that's it pretty much. There's the old saying fast, good or cheap - choose two but with trains it feels like you don't get to choose any. I got in touch with Virgin today to check if there were any bike spaces on the train and there weren't although the Scotrail train after is showing a slot so I've forked out a hefty £30 for that but at least I'll be in Perth by 11am which means if all goes ok I should be back in Inverness before night time.

I've plotted out my route today although trying to cover myself to make sure I can see the route offline as large stretches of the route will have no phone reception and the cycle route varies in that sometimes it runs along the main road, sometimes it switches sides or goes a bit further away on a back road. The parts up here are pretty well marked but I don't want to assume it all is and get lost in the middle of nowhere.

John
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 14 Jul 2017, 10:21

Dear Blog,

Well Rus, I prefer the second of the two. What is the significance of the earphones? The only problem with image 2 is that there is nothing EVIL about it.

John, a ride from Perth to Inverness? That's quite some ride as has to be around 120 miles. Are you using a skinny wheeled bike and sticking to roads?
Y.N.W.A.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 14 Jul 2017, 11:42

Dear blog,

They looked at my channel and did me 6 logos. Those were the ones i whittled down too. We're trying to change the font to put a devil tail on the S. So make it more handwritten in style.

The headphones are because my avatar is an MSI dragon with plantronics headphones on. So they did a dragon/devil (the red one) and a straight up selfie with my glasses, and added the headphones as a way to communicate "tech". As i usually do tech reviews on my channel.

Cheers for the feedback. Everyone seems to like that logo over the others! So thats good to know!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 14 Jul 2017, 13:53

Replicant wrote:Source of the post Dear Blog,

Well Rus, I prefer the second of the two. What is the significance of the earphones? The only problem with image 2 is that there is nothing EVIL about it.

John, a ride from Perth to Inverness? That's quite some ride as has to be around 120 miles. Are you using a skinny wheeled bike and sticking to roads?

Dear Blog,

Yep, 200.3km according to the Strava route planning but on the road bike and hopefully mostly on the roads so I'm hoping it shouldn't be too bad. I'm expecting it to be quicker and easier than the 81 mile off road ride I did last year, my only concern is that some of the cycle track is off road from what I've seen when I've driven by but I don't know how much. Short sections would be manageable but anything longer will be an issue as my road bike is next to useless off road.

Was I seeing on FB that you're doing that 80 mile off road ride again?

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 16 Jul 2017, 13:39

Dear Blog,

Well it's done and rather ridiculously I was worried the night before that I wasn't setting myself enough of a challenge. I was very unlucky with the weather and it poured almost the whole time, the main climb over the Drumochter Summit (which to be fair had a warning about how adverse the weather could be even in the summer) was horrible as the bike struggled along an off road trail going into a headwind with the rain lashing in. I did get a brief break from the wind and rain with the sky clearing slightly but it was just a tease as it came back much harder on the second summit. On the plus side the bike survived with no punctures and the Edge 520 worked perfectly including navigation, it did an accidental firmware update which I was concerned about might be problematic

John
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 17 Jul 2017, 12:05

Dear slog,

Blimey John! That is quite some ride.

Yes I will be dong the 125km Offroad London to Brighton again this year. been getting back into riding since mid-May as couldn't ride for about 4/5 months due to a knee problem. However careful management and I am back up to about 50km - 60km rides now without issue.

However this year I am taking our 17 yr old son who is a relative novice to MTB and he has been doing the early morning road rides with me before work. He has only ridden off road with me once before, doing about 30km about 8 weeks ago. He managed to do a 46km ride with me yesterday. However, that effort, and his crash, has left him a little tired.

A couple more weeks and he will be ok. ;)
Y.N.W.A.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 17 Jul 2017, 20:54

Dear blog

Logo finalised!

IMG-20170717-WA0002.jpg
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 18 Jul 2017, 03:12

Replicant wrote:Source of the post Dear slog,

Blimey John! That is quite some ride.

Yes I will be dong the 125km Offroad London to Brighton again this year. been getting back into riding since mid-May as couldn't ride for about 4/5 months due to a knee problem. However careful management and I am back up to about 50km - 60km rides now without issue.

However this year I am taking our 17 yr old son who is a relative novice to MTB and he has been doing the early morning road rides with me before work. He has only ridden off road with me once before, doing about 30km about 8 weeks ago. He managed to do a 46km ride with me yesterday. However, that effort, and his crash, has left him a little tired.

A couple more weeks and he will be ok. ;)

Dear Blog,

Just to rub it in the weather has been great today and more what I was hoping for on the weekend but then it would probably be hard going in the heat. Already thinking it may be worth another go at some point although perhaps with a different bike, there's a few interesting road bikes with technology to smooth out the ride a bit without adding much weight or losing power. Just need to wait for cheapish aluminium frameset versions so I can transfer the parts over.

46km is a good distance on a mountain bike and it's a bit tougher to get going with compared to road cycling as you need to pay more attention to your technique and the climbs tend to be a lot more brutal. Hopefully he's still keen, how long do you have until the event is on?

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 20 Jul 2017, 14:09

Dear blog,

been interviewing this week. Had 3 interviews, 2 of them first, 1 of them 2nd. The first ones resulted in a 2nd interview (only one to get through so mine to lose) and a job offer. the 2nd interview was 3 hours long and resulted in them offering me 10% more than i asked for! Which is more than i'm on contracting here!

Suffice to say i verbally accepted that one and I'm just waiting for the contract to come through so i can tell the boss i'm leaving in 11 days as he hasn't sent me a new contract! So i'll be managing a service desk in a well known peri peri based chicken shop. And yes, we get free chicken everyday we work.

So thats both me and the missus with new jobs in the next few weeks then! as she starts her new job after our holiday in September!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 06 Aug 2017, 15:58

Dear blog,

So after 15 months and 4 contract extensions i finally left the the bar bican centre. It was a great place to work and i've been sad to leave. Granted the boss could run hot and cold, but on balanace it was one of the best jobs I've had in london. So now i have a 3 day weekend before starting at a peri peri chicken central support office doing the same of role. Except we get free chicken at lunch. And i actually get holidays and bonuses and training now!!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 07 Aug 2017, 13:04

Dear Ras

Conblogulations on the new post. I hope it turns out to be great.

Never understood why people would pay so much more for Nando's over KFC. I don't see either as a premium product. At least the Nando's waiting staff don't appear to be comatose like they are in many KFC's.
Y.N.W.A.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 Aug 2017, 13:44

Dear Blog,

I've never had a Nandos or a KFC but with Inverness being dragged into the 20th century we now have both! I'm kind of curious to try Nandos just because I keep hearing stuff about it.

John

Return to “The Salmon Pond”