Anything goes here...
matt
Cake
Cake

Dear Blog V XV - the blog strikes back

Postby matt » 25 Dec 2016, 08:09

Dear blog,
Merry Christmas one and all.

Hoping to get up the cable mountain today to bring in Christmas with a view over Capetown. Didn't make lunch plans yet so might be a trip to the local food shop to pick up a rotisserie chicken and some trimmings.

Hope Santa brings you everything you asked for and if not then some luck in the sales :)

Couple more days in the cape, then an overnight in Joberg before I'm finally back into the world of knitwear and heating rather than aircon!

ta, Matt x
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 25 Dec 2016, 12:00

Dear blog,

Sounds like a great way to enjoy Christmas Day!

Merry Crimbo, all!
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 31 Dec 2016, 04:15

Dear Blog,

It's been an oddly quiet Christmas as my Dad was in hospital after he slipped and broke his hip, he was home this week on Tuesday. His mobility has been better than expected given the short amount of time he was in hospital (just over a week), he can get up and down the stairs on his own and other small tasks like that so the next step now is to see if he can walk outside to keep him going. He's been quite motivated about it so far which I'm hoping he continues as he's got quite a bit to go yet for recovery.

My brother and sister are away now which is a shame as the house feels oddly quiet again, it seems such a long build up and then it's over before you know it and it won't be until next Christmas at the least before they're both home at the same time. All the extra activity has a noticeable impact on Alfie as he's been quite tired in the evenings and unusually sleeping in but of course he's getting very little time to sleep when there's people around which he likes. I couldn't find him the other night to put him to bed but found him tucked up tightly and fast asleep on the armchair my Dad is currently using for his recovery, quite funny seeing the little ball of fluff amongst all the stuff for my Dad.

Santa brought me a 20mm F1.8 lens which I've debated for a while as I don't like spending money on lenses now particularly because I don't know how much use I'd get out of them but the more I thought about this one it made sense giving me both a low light and super wide option. It feels odd not being able to zoom as I'm used to the 12-24mm in that focal range but I've been having a little play with it shooting in really poor light at iso 12800 where the results are quite impressive.

My Mum's car has been playing up with an engine light which I'm hoping is something minor but she's been using my car in the meantime, woke up this morning and noticed the rear tyre on my car was completely flat and I couldn't get any air into it at all. I was a bit stumped as I don't have any form of home start but eventually decided to jack the car up, take the wheel to a tyre place. get it sorted and bring it back during which thankfully the car stayed on the jack - it seems an oddly small device to hold the entire weight of the car although thankfully the weather has been calmer today. The car designers decided a bass amplifier was more important than a spare wheel so the car comes with one of the tyre sealant packs which is irritating given the size of the car, there's plenty room there.

I did notice what a total mess my alloys are as Mazda don't seem to suitably protect their alloys for the UK climate, my Mum has just gone through getting all hers refurbed so I'm wondering if I should get onto that before they start leaking as well. I'm not sure though how good the treatment is in terms of whether it makes the alloy as good as new which in this case isn't very good and will last a limited amount of time of whether it will improve them and they should last longer.

I've got some friends coming up from Edinburgh for New Year who I'm looking forward to seeing anyway but even though I'm not normally a fan of new year I usually have a good time with them. Last year we ended up with a very long game of that Ticket to Ride board game which seems pretty rubbish when you start but you quickly realise how much there is to it.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 31 Dec 2016, 09:05

dear blog,
I'm now back in Blighty and as of yesterday afternoon, all of my bags are back too. I came back into the village with a chilly -2 degrees and frost everywhere so was a very nice welcome back in contrast to having spent the last seven weeks in polo's and shorts.

Just need to unpack and get some washing on and then start my list of repairs for next year.

Lights - converting to LED and repairing a fixture
Boiler - bleed radiators and get a service done
oven - check if it's now fully broken (grill has already stopped working)
oven extractor fan - check why the light doesn't work
Amp - try and get it working again with the tv so when you turn on / off sky, it also turns on/off the amp (just stopped working recently)
suticases - research if the impulse buy of a hard upright carry on and main bag was a good price yesterday
suit - get the other impulse buy re-sized (needs extra belly)
new years eve plans - make some.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 31 Dec 2016, 14:34

Dear blog,

Sorry to hear about your dad John. Glad to hear he's getting better!

Well, Jijig has been with us for a week now! She's gone from timid and quiet to timid and loud! She squeeks like a bird at the moment. But the pop up puppy pen is great! been really handy with all the travel we've done with her. She dotes on Mrs Ras so the rest of us are trying to get a look in! Sadly, we discovered she had fleas that came from the breeder. So we've been cleaning everything and she's been bathed twice! Poor thing.

The loan Porsche Cayenne we had has gone back. It was fun! 7.7 to 60 in a 2400 kg diesel SUV. 25 mpg.. Full air suspension, sports chrono pack, LED headlights with junction lights, Sat nav, the works. Our new Macan GTS is due next week. The tracking system has been enabled so i can see them testing the car. its done 7.5 miles yesterday at 25mpg at an average speed of 23 mph. I can see on the map its in reading. And i can beep the horn, flash the lights, lock the doors and fold in the mirrors all remotely. Got a 24Gb EE sim that lasts 24 months from amazon too to get the data enabled in it. You have to pay £155 for the 18" collapsible spare wheel in it, but its an absolute no brainer! Those goo cans just dont always work.

We'll be staying in for new year and watch the fireworks on TV. Hopefully Jijig will be ok. We've got a nice Chateaubriand and i'm making dauphinoise potato. And we've got a bottle of Dom perignon 2004 to toast Mui Mui with.

I'd like to say i'm glad to see 2016 go, and that 2017 will be better. But i fear the worlds going to get worse before it gets better!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 03 Jan 2017, 16:50

Dear Blog,

Woo 2017!! Nuts. It was Willenium not long ago... Cue the TUNE! :geek:

EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 05 Jan 2017, 14:55

Dear blog,

Front.jpg

Side.jpg

_DSC7164.JPG

Picked up the new car yesterday, Porsche Macan GTS with 20" spyder wheels, privacy glass, sunroof, and red leather interior.

Going to cut a video together about it, but otherwise only driven home in it from the dealer. Its very nice! Just need to get it out on an open road this weekend if possible!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 05 Jan 2017, 17:47

dear blog,
but what about teh gadgets?!!

Jealous!
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 05 Jan 2017, 22:30

Dear blog,

New video uploaded too.

Its got sat nav, voice control, connect + (its own sim card and wifi system with live traffic updates), 4 wheel drive that can push 100% power to either front or rear. Bi-xenon dynamic lights with corner lighting system. And lots of other toys!

Plus 0-60 in 5 seconds. Whilst being uber comfortable and having 4 doors. Yes there are faster estates out there. But this has a lovely road presence.
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
iwt
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby iwt » 09 Jan 2017, 13:43

Dear Blog,

Macan's a lovely car and the GTS looks pretty special. Have fun. With bad weather forecast later in the week I'm a bit jealous of your 4wd and 4 doors.

Ian
Macbook
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 09 Jan 2017, 17:44

Dear Rasmacan,
so... how is the new whip? had any traffic light dust ups with the local ranges?
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby scarbunny » 09 Jan 2017, 19:37

Dear blog

That is a lovely looking thing, so shiny. Not sure I would have a driving license for long with anything like that.

Mini is on order supposedly but no lead time or delivery estimate yet, which is a pain as I will need to book a boat to pick it up at some point. Might use it as an excuse for a few days across.
iwt
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby iwt » 09 Jan 2017, 21:09

Dear Blog

Have you chased them on lead time? Got to say mini were brilliant with info, got delivery date at time of order, they keep us up to date when it was being built, then on the way to them and it was there about 4 days early in the end.
Macbook
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 09 Jan 2017, 23:31

Dear Blog

Its all being handled through the leasing company so no direct contact with Mini unfortunately, have chased the leasing company just waiting to hear back.
iwt
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby iwt » 10 Jan 2017, 10:37

Dear Blog,

Ah ok didn't know thats the way you'd gone.
Macbook

Return to “The Salmon Pond”