Dear Blog V XV - the blog strikes back

Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 18 Apr 2017, 14:58

Dear Blog,

I was quite surprised when Chris mentioned this today to the degree I thought I had misunderstood but it actually makes a lot of sense to do this now, they've waited to see what fall out there is from going for the hard brexit and triggering Article 50 but there really hasn't been any impact to their party and while polls have shown to be inaccurate, it does seem likely that Labour are essentially non-existent as an opposition party. While that's unlikely to change before 2020 they might as well take the advantage when have it.

7 weeks of nonsense, yes but better than many months of it I guess although it's hard to escape that grim feeling everything seems to have at the moment and goodness only knows what's going to happen up here.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 19 Apr 2017, 23:42

Dear Blog,

Woooooooooooooooo. I still need a new phone. I still would like a new laptop. Outlook isn't connecting to server again. My car is still in need of repair/I still would like a new car. I haven't eaten my Easter egg yet. Wooooooooooooooooo.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 26 Apr 2017, 02:17

Dear Blog,

I've been spending a fair bit of time in hospital as my Dad had to go back in for the second time due to an infection where he had his hip replaced (originally due to an accident when he fell at Christmas time), they operated a couple of times to clean out the wound but the second time he went into sceptic shock and has been suffering issues after that. Unfortunately he fell and dislocated the problematic hip and due to the infection they can't put a new hip in so they've had to put a temporary repair in until he recovers then they can do it properly, again he's not recovered well after the surgery and his general state of mind isn't great having been in the hospital nearly six weeks and almost entirely in bed. I've been visiting him each day as he has no actual interests, doesn't use a phone, PC, read books or anything bar the paper each day. He does seem to be slowly improving now though so hopefully patience will pay off.

Another friend has ended up in hospital as well after a nasty car crash, my Mum lost her closest friend last year when she very suddenly died of an infection so we've been helping out her husband who has been doing a good job recently of moving on, he took retirement from his job, finally sold his wife's car and treated himself to a two year old BMW 335d. He was driving it down south for the first time and collided with a truck on a 40mph roadworks section. I went to see him yesterday and having seen the wreck of the car it's surprising how well he's doing, he's broken his wrist, collarbone and sternum plus is pretty painful all over but it seems likely if he'd been driving his old 2003 Accord he would have been a lot worse. Unfortunately he can't remember what happened which is really eating at him as he doesn't know if he's drifted off or similar or something else has happened, there's only a couple of photos of the scene and they're not clear - looking at first it appears he's entirely at fault as the truck is where it should be and his car is smacked into the front well over the onto the wrong side but there's also another car sitting side up against the back of my friend's car. I'm hoping more information will come forward, Ian suggested there's a good chance the truck will have a camera which would be useful.

On the plus side it does make me appreciate my good health an awful lot more particularly as I've rarely had to spend much time in hospital previously either for myself or others and my stair climbing is getting good, my Dad started off on the third floor, then the fourth, the sixth and now the seventh so I've been building up my speed on the stairs and can now do all seven floors at a good speed without being too breathless although my heartrate does spike a fair bit. I'm not seeing it translate to better hill climbing on the mountain bike although my plus hardtail finally took an uphill section best time off the fat bike which so far has been unbeatable for me on climbs and cross country while the suspension equipped hardtail has been demolishing my downhill times.

I've also got around to Spotify waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind everyone else, it came with my Vodafone account and I liked the idea of being able to get a good sample of music for something new to put on my mp3 player. So far I'm pretty impressed with it as I had it on the phone for a while and even moving between wifi, 3G, 2G and no reception it kept playing smoothly whereas Amazon was useless even when the phone was sitting in good reception. I was thinking it would be handy if the app would push notifications to the watch so I could see what the tracks were without taking the phone out but the two of them were well ahead of me, the watch has a little widget which shows the track information and lets you change the phone volume, pause and skip tracks which is perfect.

The only issue is my Note 4 isn't great for audio whereas I have a really good little mp3 player so it's noticeably flat so that just confuses the phone choice again as I'd decided if the Note 4 did finally die I'd go for the S8 but one of the main selling points of the V20 is it has the audio quality of any phone pretty much. It didn't bother me before but now I'm thinking could be handy. Thinking of decent DACs I glanced at my old Logitech Squeezebox touch which is sort of Logitech's version of Sonos but they killed off a while back, I always thought they were overpriced but had picked this one up cheap from Currys and was blown away by the sound quality on my studio headphones which need a fair bit of grunt for decent quality. Knowing Logitech had binned the system a while back I didn't think there was any chance it would work with Spotify now but had a little look anyway and after a lot of fiddling around I started slowly making progress, it did have a Spotify app and surprisingly I was still able to use the Logitech online portal which configures the streaming services. However I hit a major snag, the Touch kept insisting my account didn't allow for Spotify even though it all looked good until I found the Touch was registered with someone else's account, not mine. I'd always suspected it was a returned unit but didn't mind as I got it for a cracking price at £90 (they go for around £430 or something daft now, £150 is cheap second hand) however people were saying the person with the account would need to deregister it as Logitech no longer did it, the advice was mail the person and see if they responded. I read on a bit and found that with newer units you could factory reset them and you could change the account which I did and thankfully worked so I'm sitting here listening to a chilled soundtrack playlist on my decent headphones and it sounds great.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby steffcip » 05 May 2017, 11:57

Dear blog,

Domain due for renewal in couple months. Anyone? :)
steffcip
1+1=1 ?!
1+1=1 ?!

Postby steffcip » 08 May 2017, 20:17

Dear blog,
Domain renewed for 2 years. Thanks John!
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 08 May 2017, 20:57

Dear Blog,

:cheers: to John
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 25 May 2017, 14:19

dear blog,
Meet Luna. She's lovely!
Attachments
IMG_1955.JPG
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 25 May 2017, 21:01

Dear Blog,

Cute! Hi Luna! Jijig says hello!
20170522_192929.jpg
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 12 Jun 2017, 18:25

Dear blog,

Got Sky Q 2Tb finally installed after some messing about. Its good so far as everything including the standard TV quality feels better. Its had 1 crash so far that required a reboot! F1 in UHD was nice! But more than anything i love have the ability to connect to the main box from the bedroom and view everything! So i can series link rick and morty and watch it it either room or on my tablet or phone connected to the box. So i can literally be sat on the bog and watch the sky at night from last night from the box without having to connect to iplayer! All very nice.
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 12 Jun 2017, 20:27

Dear blog,

New SKY firmware just came down. You can now record 6 shows whilst watching a 7th using the 2Tb box. Thats overkill, but very cool. I'm recording so much more like the sky at night as i dont have to worry about clashes. As even if you're recording 6 seperate channels, you can still watch (but not record) a 7th! Whereas with sky+ HD you could record 2 things. and watch either a recording or 1 of the things you're recording!

The future is impressive!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 13 Jun 2017, 00:47

Dear TV overlord,

Bloody hell, Ras! I record enough with '2 and watch 1' and most of what's been recorded has yet to be watched. There are the few times when I want to record an extra channel but can't... But 6?! Best start creating the next generation ;)
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 13 Jun 2017, 10:32

Dear blog,
robbo wrote:Best start creating the next generation ;)

on it! :)
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby scarbunny » 13 Jun 2017, 15:16

Dear Blog

I like the idea of the shared recorded content that Sky Q has, there's been a few times when I've wanted to watch stuff in bed that's recorded on the main box I'll probably try and wrangle it as part of my renewal in August, which reminds me I'll need to start sorting that soon.

But 7 feeds seems a little excessive, I guess it's nice to have just in case but is there really that much on Sky worth recording that clashes happen often? Anything that I can't record is normally on catchup if I'm that bothered and if not I can't have been that interested or I would have watched it in the first place.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 13 Jun 2017, 16:51

Dear blog,

Its toal overkill! we record a maximum of 3 things at once. maybe 4 on a rare occasion. Which meant using both boxes in the past. But having it as a central hub is really handy. I was watching american dad last night and the missus wanted the telly off. so turned on my tablet and was streaming from the box within 10 seconds. quicker than any iplayer style app and doesnt use the bandwidth as its all internal data. So good for people with rubbish broadband. Although due to licencing, you cant download everything to the tablet. just stream it from recordings or live within the house on the internal network.
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Replicant

Postby Replicant » 15 Jun 2017, 11:30

EviL Ras wrote:Source of the post Dear blog,
robbo wrote:Best start creating the next generation ;)

on it! :)

Dear shudder,

This is not an image I want in my head right now. :shock:
Y.N.W.A.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”