The Manga, Graphic novels, anime and comic books thread.

Anything goes here...
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: The Manga, Graphic novels, anime and comic books thread.

Postby Tappy » 04 Sep 2014, 13:59

I'm sure this is just so they can retire Hugh Jackman off.

Not coming back eh? 10 other times Wolverine had died: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/08/27/1 ... e-has-died
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 04 Sep 2014, 16:33

Pretty sure they have said he will be back in 2016, just a hiatus before rebooting him. Might read the lead up to and aftermath of this run if I can find a usable list of the required issues, like the Civil War one Marvel produced.

However I do think this will be good for the character, he is massively overused at the minute and tends to over shadow the rest of the X-Men/Mutants that potentially have more interesting stories.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 05 Sep 2014, 00:13

I find the current obsession with Wolverine a bit odd, he's a great character of course but I was surprised he got his own origins film then yet another afterwards.

I finally finished the Dredd Complete Case files 1-5 as well as Origins, the claims that it gets better during the third case files I'd say is true although I read another guide that said to start at case files 5 as there's not much you're missing before that which is fairly true as well. I was a bit underwhelmed by the Judge Death storylines which there's a lot of recommendations for, although it's advanced a bit by the fifth case file it still feels a bit too kiddy - one of the storylines is about a super addictive sweetie everyone can't stopping rather than a drug.

Origins on the other hand I thought was great and was exactly what I was wanting, it's a story which delves into the background of the Dredd universe in terms of how the Judge system came into place, how the cursed earth came to be and a bit about Dredd's background. It's much newer than the case files so it has a grittier more mature feel and I liked the artwork, not too stylised but still worked well.

I'm not sure where to go next though, I'd like to read more of them as they're good when I'm idling somewhere and can flick through them on my phone. However where I picked up the Kindle versions they were in a sale and only a couple of quid each, now though they're a pricey ten pounds which is the same as the printed version. I'm not keen on getting the printed version as they take up space and I liked reading them on my phone but grudge paying that much for digital version. I maybe need to look into whether there's any chance of another Kindle sale.

The Dredd film does a great job staying as faithful to the graphic novels as possible, there's so many little references all over the place but something that's bugged me is a scene at the start where the character Anderson is introduced. She's asked to use her telepathic powers on Dredd to which she says she can sense control and anger but something else beyond that. She's cut off by the chief judge who looks a bit alarmed but I've never been able to work out what she was about to say, I was hoping the graphic novels would give a bit more insight but was still drawing a blank. I took the risk of asking on imdb and was surprised to get very helpful responses, they suggested the Anderson was sensing Dredd's doubt in the Judge system which eventually comes to a head later in the comics.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 14 Oct 2014, 09:44

Downey reportedly signed for Cap 3 which will likely mean the storyline of....

...CIVIL WAR!

Which would bring them nicely into the next phase with new Avengers.

W00t!
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 14 Oct 2014, 09:45

Just saw that on fb!

in other news the walking dead was great last night!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 23 Oct 2014, 09:52

I suppose this is the comic news of the day:

I dunno if that link works, it's supposed to be the Age of Ultron trailer. Access to YouTube gets arbitrarily blocked in work from day to day so I can't check it!

But anyway, that trailer (if it's working) looks devastating!

Have an IGN link incase it doesn't work! http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/10/23/mar ... on-trailer
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 23 Oct 2014, 10:52

Ooo-err! I better catch up on the other films I've missed before May!
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 23 Oct 2014, 12:40

niiiiice! looking forward to it already! although its the GOTG steelbook blu ray release before then! another day to put in your calendars! Its a nerds perfect movie!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 29 Oct 2014, 10:49

Not so say I told you so... but... I told you so.

Tappy wrote:Whilst we're in the comic book thread (...) it's evident that they're really pushing the Inhumans. (...) So the Inhumans could be their next source of ensemble films.

Saying that, they still have many Avengers they haven't tapped yet. Captain Marvel seems an obvious choice, they need someone like her to replace Captain America as the leader too. Hmmm, perhaps that's why they're holding off... waiting for Chris Evans' contract to expire.

Marvel announcement of Phase 3 films:

Captain America: Civil War (2016)
Doctor Strange (2016)
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017)
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
Black Panther (2017)
Avengers: Infinity War Part I (2018)
Captain Marvel (2018)
Inhumans (2018)
Avengers: Infinity War Part II (2019)

I didn't expect two films for the Infinity Gauntlet, but I think that is good, it's the right film to do it with. I think we may see some superhero deaths there. Black Panther was always likely because he has such a big following, it seems every male afro-american actor has put their name forward at some point for playing the role! The timing of Captain Marvel is interesting, wonder if they are going to continue with the Avengers after Infinity War, or use Guardians and Inhumans as their big films. With Captain Marvel, Ant-Man, Dr Strange and Black Panther - plus the Falcon, the Winter Soldier, Warmachine/Iron Patriot, and maybe Spiderman, they certainly have the right people for more Avengers films.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 17 Feb 2017, 10:33

Bump!

Still haven't seen most of the Marvel films. Nor have I read my Zelda manga yet!

Looking forward to Attack in Titan s2 which comes out in April. Am intrigued to see how it continues as I've not read the manga.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 17 Feb 2017, 16:12

How will you be watching Titans Robbo?

I'm looking forward too it too!

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 18 Feb 2017, 20:34

I'm guessing Crunchyroll if it's on there - am hoping it is. You? Not got a premium acc but watched the first season on there. Dip in and out of a few other series but not got fully into any. Maybe it's because I've never got into the habit of opening up the app.

Not sure if I've mentioned it already but did start watching kill la kill a while back. That was on Netflix but not got round to finishing it.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”