The Manga, Graphic novels, anime and comic books thread.

Anything goes here...
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: The Manga, Graphic novels, anime and comic books thread.

Postby jurassicjim » 12 May 2014, 08:42

Haha, yes I have John! I would love some of these to be full length remakes.

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 13 May 2014, 00:28

Haha. Even I found those funny! They looked quite good! :D
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 18 Jul 2014, 14:05

The Susie Wolff story made me think of the Thor news that seemed to explode on the internet.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ition.html

Actually I inadvertently picked a decent story there which touches on the new Ms Marvel and the North Star storyline.

I don't understand the reaction... Marvel change the characters all the time. That's what the Iron Patriot is all about, and The Winter Solider [an aside: my office smells like it's on fire] replacing Captain America. And Thor is still around, he's just not worthy of Mjermjer anymore. Stupid internets.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 Jul 2014, 12:54

I've no issues with Thor being female but the armour design seems to be more aimed at males rather than promoting it for females.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 21 Jul 2014, 10:13

Yeah, good point! Can't a writer make a female character without it being some cunning ploy!

On the weekend I noticed that there was another BBC article about Captain America being replaced by The Falcon:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28340644
Of course, that's not the headline they chose...

[That aside: I got several people to come to by office and no one else thought it smelled like it was on fire btw.]
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 23 Jul 2014, 22:35

Fight Club 2 in 2015 said the headline! 10 comics said the article. Never read the first lot. Might give them a go.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Aug 2014, 23:56

Tappy wrote:Yeah, good point! Can't a writer make a female character without it being some cunning ploy!

On the weekend I noticed that there was another BBC article about Captain America being replaced by The Falcon:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28340644
Of course, that's not the headline they chose...

[That aside: I got several people to come to by office and no one else thought it smelled like it was on fire btw.]

I read an article talking about the future of the Marvel film characters and how they'd prefer rather than the characters being rebooted, instead they'd be gradually replaced by new characters when the original actor/actress had enough. Hence Iron Patriot being set up to replace Iron Man when Robert Downey jr was apparently talking about finishing with Iron Man and Falcon introduced to potentially replace Captain America. I guess that's what already happens in the comics although the original characters keep coming back, I like the idea particularly with Spiderman being rebooted prematurely.

I see there's a new Dredd comic spin off featuring Anderson, I thought she was created for the film but found that she was taken from the comics as well (this new series is sort of rebooting her). Anderson differs from Dredd in that she doesn't see the world in black and white plus her style is more investigative with her psychic powers rather than the more direct approach Dredd takes. I'm thinking of giving the new series a go although still working slowly through the original Dredd collection.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 21 Aug 2014, 12:43

Screw Captain Falcon, I want this:
thCASKTL53.jpg
Captain Winter
thCASKTL53.jpg (12.65 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 21 Aug 2014, 17:31

Winter soldier spoilers:

Spoiler:
Apparently the winter soldier taking Captain America's role is also being considered
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 21 Aug 2014, 20:40

Yup
Spoiler:
the winter soldier actor is signed up to 9 marvel movies. The fella that plays captain america is signed up for 6.. nuff said
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 22 Aug 2014, 09:41

Whilst we're in the comic book thread and talking Marvel films. I've just finished reading the Infinity event (which was a bit of an anti-climax really, because the big reveal was already revealed in other comics... but...) it's evident that they're really pushing the Inhumans. I only have a passing interest in them at the moment, but such a rejuvination worked for the Guardians of the Galaxy. So the Inhumans could be their next source of ensemble films.

Saying that, they still have many Avengers they haven't tapped yet. Captain Marvel seems an obvious choice, they need someone like her to replace Captain America as the leader too. Hmmm, perhaps that's why they're holding off... waiting for Chris Evans' contract to expire.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 22 Aug 2014, 10:53

I was working through the Cable & Deadpool comics as I have always been a big Cable fan, and well Deadpool. But I reached the Civil War issue, so stopped on that run and dropped into the Civil War run, its really good focusing on the Super Human registration act and the schism between those that are for and against it. However they have thrown in a few issues that I've not enjoyed as much.

I also read the first issue of Loki: Agent of Asgard. In the words of Black Widow Loki has gone a bit "One Directiony" in his design but it was good fun, just need to get the rest read.

After playing through some of The Wolf Among Us I started on the Fables series, very good, although it does throw some inaccuracies into the game. But they are separate stories, just issues with the world.

Also started the New 52 Batman run with the Court of Owls, excellent story that I need to get back too, I am generally not a massive fan of DC properties but Batman is too awesome to ignore. I wouldn't mind trying to get the Infinite Crisis run.

There are quite a few other new Marvel runs I want to get into as well, which is my issue with comics generally, there is such an existing body of excellent work and they produce so much new stuff it becomes a nightmare trying to get into it properly.

Added to all the Marvel and DC stuff all the IDW grapic novels I want to read, Locke and Key being a main one as I'm half way through, plus Sandman, Death, 100 Bullets I've started and need to finish, Y The Last Man also started and unfinished, The Preacher also half finished. Plus the Frank Miller Batman runs I've not read, and Watchmen which I've owned since the movie came out and not read.

Arggh, might have a panic attack at the sheer volume of material I want to read and the tiny amount of free time I actually have. This don't even touch the books that have been turned into graphic novels I want to read, like the Dark Tower, and The First Law.

Edit:- That's a longer list than expected, think I got a little carried away, I really need to focus on finishing some of these before starting on new stuff.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 23 Aug 2014, 00:11

Instead of starting my dissertation I decided to watch the last few episodes of Attack on Titan. Was a little lost at first as to what was happening (had forgotten a few things) but a flick back to the previous ep and then continued watching got me into it. Need to find the OVAs to stream now.

As for reading books/manga: my list and actual books is growing too! I'll try to conquer a few from Oct onwards...
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 29 Aug 2014, 13:37

Pricey, but pretty:

A special collection of their Marvel Masters works hardcover line aimed at celebrating the publisher's 75th Anniversary. Dubbed the "Marvel Famous Firsts: 75th Anniversary Masterworks Slipcase Set," this collection includes 10 Vol. 1 hardcovers from the Marvel Masterworks series, covering classic Silver Age comics like The Avengers, Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider-Man, and The X-Men.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/08/28/m ... -novel-set

£227.50 on Amazon.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 04 Sep 2014, 13:33

Wolverine to die! http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/29057917 Not read any Wolvie comics but one day I might.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”