The Manga, Graphic novels, anime and comic books thread.

Anything goes here...
robbo
100th member
100th member

The Manga, Graphic novels, anime and comic books thread.

Postby robbo » 27 Dec 2013, 13:37

Howdy!

So, as some of you guys might be aware of, I've started to get into reading Manga and graphic novels. Always liked reading comics and cartoons (be in comic strips in newspapers or Sonic the Comic!) but after finally getting round to reading Watchmen a few months ago I'd like to get into it a bit more. Any recommendations from you guys? Books and/or films.

Reading some Dragon Ball at the mo - loved it when I was a kid although never really read or watched much of it - and got some of the dvds of the anime off ebay also.

The gf got me Attack on Titan which I've finished the first volume of and not too sure on it yet. Apparently the anime adaptation is great. Will give it a go soon.

Found this site that streams loads of anime and cartoons also. http://www.watchcartoononline.com/

:fish:
Fodder
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: The Manga, Graphic novels, anime and comic books thread.

Postby Fodder » 27 Dec 2013, 14:58

There is a graphic version of HP Lovecraft somewhere, I think guttenburg.org. Great on a tablet.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 08 Jan 2014, 21:43

Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 09 Jan 2014, 00:07

No, I hadn't even heard of it although I see it's fairly new at least over here any way. I bought a load of graphic novels in the Amazon sale and haven't read any of them yet so not been looking at any more.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 09 Jan 2014, 23:39

I bought the set so will give them a go once they arrive. Had some pretty good reviews and looking forward to how they deal with the gaming stories.

What graphic novels did you pick up?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Jan 2014, 02:29

As I loved the Dredd film I bought pretty much every Dredd graphic novel going, I also bought a couple of Dr Who/the Borg crossover novels...what can I say, they wer cheap and they had the borg in them?!

I've been thinking I'll need to have a go at them as the Z Ultra is a pretty good device to read them on.

John
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 10 Jan 2014, 11:08

Does Link speak in the Manga?

j
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 10 Jan 2014, 13:14

I think so. Actually, I hadn't even thought about that - just presumed that he does! I'll report back once it arrives in a couple of weeks. From a tiny bit of a review I read online they've done a good job of condensing the gameplay to make the story manageable and it's all the better for it. At a dungeon the manga goes straight to the final boss scene which they said works well.
jurassicjim

Postby jurassicjim » 11 Jan 2014, 00:41

Hmm, colour me interested!!

Let us know what you think.

J
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 11 Jan 2014, 18:20

The Simpsons do a Studio Ghibli tribute. Not having watched any of their movies I only got a few vague references. Not watched any new Simpsons in years, anyway.

Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 11 Jan 2014, 21:58

That's awesome - I'd highly recommend Spirited Away to get started, it's quite easy going to watch.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 30 Jan 2014, 02:09

I've decided to have a stab at the Dredd comics again although it's hard going, I thin they're meant to get better around the third set of case files but that's a few hundred pages away yet. The comics are extremely cheesy so far and very quick and simple, almost more like something from the Beano or Dandy. In the last story, a robot call 'Call me Kenneth' has managed to get all the robots to revolt to Dredd gets help from the police canteen robot who is a bit basic, he's so scared of Dredd he speaks with a lisp (?!) and begs at Dredd's feet to be allowed to help.

John
Tappy

Postby Tappy » 30 Jan 2014, 10:33

I don't know if that's new stuff or old stuff, but Dredd used to be in one of the low brow tabloid papers (could it be the sport?!) and stereotyping the friend who was a fan of Dredd and the kind of things he liked, I always took it to be a Viz type comic! Perhaps I wasn't far off - at least in parts!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Southwestwall » 30 Jan 2014, 23:48

Not so much my thing, but my daughter has a small collection of choice titles. In fact, one of her Christmas presents I shipped in from the U.S. was a copy of A Game Of Thrones volume 1, signed by George Martin, the graphic novel author and one of the actors from the show.
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 31 Jan 2014, 00:36

Tappy wrote:I don't know if that's new stuff or old stuff, but Dredd used to be in one of the low brow tabloid papers (could it be the sport?!) and stereotyping the friend who was a fan of Dredd and the kind of things he liked, I always took it to be a Viz type comic! Perhaps I wasn't far off - at least in parts!

It's very, very old stuff - right back to the beginning I believe so be fair that's a very long time ago. Even the artwork is very cartoony as Dredd is this very thin skinny guy leaping about all over the place. It should be worth persevering though as it does appear to get a lot better and there are a lot of subtle references in the film to the comics which I'm interested in understanding better.

John

Return to “The Salmon Pond”