Game of Thrones thread

Anything goes here...
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Game of Thrones thread

Postby EviL Ras » 02 May 2016, 20:49

So just watched it. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
matt
Cake
Cake

Game of Thrones thread

Postby matt » 02 May 2016, 22:50

i saw some spoilers that I thought might give it away. But, alas...

Spoiler:
he lives.... for now.

EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Game of Thrones thread

Postby EviL Ras » 02 May 2016, 23:32

Spoiler:
I just didn't see that coming. We sort of knew Jon was coming back. Why have kit laying there for 2 episodes. But we thought he was coming back in ep4 as thats a longer episode. But that very slow reveal was great! Had us guessing right to the end, and i've watched it 4 times now!

Killing Bolton was a shock! Killing the mother and baby just cemented what a casuast Ramsey is!

Great to see tyrion with the dragons! He was like a little snickers bar to them!

Great episode anyway! Nice to see hodor again! And the giant kicking ass! A solid 9.7 on imdb! Almost hitting the 9.9 of hardhome!
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap

Game of Thrones thread

Postby scarbunny » 03 May 2016, 17:08

Spoiler:
I am starting to think there is something wrong with me, I found the episode quite dull.

The wildlings storming Castle Black was fairly interesting, but the killing of Roose Bolton (the fact Karstark does nothing to intervene when Ramsey kills his lord whom he has sworn allegiance to is baffling) and Balon Greyjoy just seem to add to this overwhelming sense that they have run out of ideas and the whole thing is turning into a parody of itself. This series has had so many characters return to be pointlessly killed off after half a dozen lines, in the early days the fact no one was safe was subversive and built tension now with the amount of deaths per episode it has lost all impact. The old sense of apprehension of "who will die this season", replaced by "who will die this episode" is now "who will die this scene".

Nice to see Jaqen H'ghar back, but Arya's return to the Faceless Men seemed rushed, do a bit of begging get lightly beaten twice and all is forgiven.

Bran's back, after presumably having a nap for the whole of series 5, what the hell had happened to the Children of the Forest with their terrible new make up? Hodor was a real boy once, I'm sure that will progress the story in some way.

As usual Tyrion stole the show with his dragon taming, but ultimately seems like his storyline will have little impact on the larger arc now, without Daenerys Meereen and Slaver's Bay feels at best a side show.

Everything about Jon Snow's return was predictable and the Jesus imagery a little heavy handed.

Personally a 5-6/10 but I'll bow to the opinion of the crowd that it's a near perfect episode.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 May 2016, 19:52

Spoiler:
This was a difficult episode to avoid spoilers for as even yesterday afternoon people were posting spoilers and there were several article headlines and trending articles that had spoilers in the title.

I didn't think Roose Bolton's murder was much of a shock as Ramsey seemed to be getting held back by him anyway and when the boy was announced I thought he's dead for sure and the cuddle on Roose I was pretty sure would be fatal.

Aside from Jon Snow being revived it's still a bit slow as it gets itself together although I liked the scene between the broken Melisandre and Davos, such a reversal from the strong, confidence women a few seasons ago. I was amused at how old Bran is as he seems to have grown up so quickly over the last couple of years but I guess the show has been going on a while now and that's going to happen.
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 03 May 2016, 20:01

scarbunny wrote:Source of the post
Spoiler:
I am starting to think there is something wrong with me, I found the episode quite dull.

The wildlings storming Castle Black was fairly interesting, but the killing of Roose Bolton (the fact Karstark does nothing to intervene when Ramsey kills his lord whom he has sworn allegiance to is baffling) and Balon Greyjoy just seem to add to this overwhelming sense that they have run out of ideas and the whole thing is turning into a parody of itself. This series has had so many characters return to be pointlessly killed off after half a dozen lines, in the early days the fact no one was safe was subversive and built tension now with the amount of deaths per episode it has lost all impact. The old sense of apprehension of "who will die this season", replaced by "who will die this episode" is now "who will die this scene".

Nice to see Jaqen H'ghar back, but Arya's return to the Faceless Men seemed rushed, do a bit of begging get lightly beaten twice and all is forgiven.

Bran's back, after presumably having a nap for the whole of series 5, what the hell had happened to the Children of the Forest with their terrible new make up? Hodor was a real boy once, I'm sure that will progress the story in some way.

As usual Tyrion stole the show with his dragon taming, but ultimately seems like his storyline will have little impact on the larger arc now, without Daenerys Meereen and Slaver's Bay feels at best a side show.

Everything about Jon Snow's return was predictable and the Jesus imagery a little heavy handed.

Personally a 5-6/10 but I'll bow to the opinion of the crowd that it's a near perfect episode.

Spoiler:
I'd agree with pretty much everything you've said as that's what I was thinking as well, I didn't think this episode was that well rated in general as I saw a few article headlines which I assume were also talking about the number of deaths making them much less effective as we're expecting it now. I was hoping Jon Snow would stay dead as I thought his death was quite a shock after him surviving the white walker battle and everyone was expecting him to be revived so the real shock would be that he would stay dead and castle black would be stuck trying to keep a truce with the wildlings while the Boltons attacked.I was disappointed Arya was back so quick as I was expecting Jaqen to disappear on her as well to see if she would still stick to her girl with no name.

That said it's not unusual for the early episodes to be slow going so I'm hoping they'll stick pick up steam as it all starts clicking together.
Tappy

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Tappy » 04 May 2016, 09:17

S:Whatseriesisthis; E:02

Spoiler:
I found the episode a bit, "well, now what" too. But as John says, these series often start slow. I guess, if they whack a shock finish every time, there needs to be a lot of manoeuvring early on next series to built up to a big finish. Apparently a lot of the deaths in this episode were to catch up with the final bits in the books which had not be dealt with previously. Not that I've read them.

There were some good scenes this episode though. In particular, I started actually caring about what was happening with the Greyjoys.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Game of Thrones thread

Postby EviL Ras » 04 May 2016, 10:20

Spoiler:
Yup Tappy! ONLY Ep2! and all THAT happened! Personally i'm like "wow! I suffered through 5 series and now its kicking in!".

But i do appreciate peoples "all that happened in one episode? Seems a bit rushed. But then theres talk of 2 x 6 episode seasons and a feature film to finish the story. So only 21 episodes left to wipe out the white walkers, unite the world and put someone worthy on the throne. So i'm happy to forgive the "shock every 10 mins" pace this week.
LUHG
Born 28/11/2018
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Game of Thrones thread

Postby EviL Ras » 11 May 2016, 12:21

So a "Vanilla" episode this week then according to everyone. Not much happened.

Except

Spoiler:
Bran stark Greensight! He can see the past! and wait, can he interact with it too?!!
The tower of joy! Will that confirm the R+L=J theory?!
Ser Arthur Dayne is the ultimate jedi! Why couldn't Darth Maul fight like that! all 4 at once, none of this one at a time rubbish!
Jon Snow alive! Like, proper alive! Melisandre thinks he's the prince that was promised.
Jon snow finally does what the fans wanted! #f*ckolly! The little git is dead and we got a lovely shot of him at the end, just before Jon drops the mic and heads to Winterfell.
We found out who the little birds were! And uh-oh, Cersai gets them...
Zombie mountain ftw!
Rickon is back! But IS shaggydog dead? Rumours abound that its a rouse to get a trojan horse into winterfell...
Sam and Gilly are back! hurrah!
Dany going to face a trial?
Arya gets her eyes back! epic! tho maybe a touch fast for my liking.
And who REALLY believes she's "no-one".. not I!

So yeah, a very vanilla quiet episode then!
LUHG
Born 28/11/2018
Tappy

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Tappy » 16 May 2016, 13:02

Been on hols, so watched Ep 3 last night and yeah,

Spoiler:
Fav ep of this series so far. Dunno why, just so much story like Ras says. Wish they would stop killing doggies though.
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
Tappy

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Tappy » 18 May 2016, 09:37

Episode 4, not sure why I waited so long to mention it considering,
Spoiler:
everything we have waited many series to happen actually happened. Is this a sign that the George bloke isn't dictating the story anymore that we can have so many uplifting parts to an episode: Littlefinger off to help Sansa, Sansa and Jon are re-united, Dani getting more powerful, Jon getting angry, all good stuff.

I think the only downer was the death of Nymphadora Tonks, but she wasn't up to much since she left Harry Potter.
Last edited by Tappy on 20 May 2016, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 May 2016, 22:34

Some people are getting too good at this video editing thing (Season 6 spoilers):

Spoiler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CTJEZXtr94

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 19 May 2016, 23:36

More S6 spoilers...

Spoiler:
I was very surprised Sansa made it to Castle Black without issue as that almost never seems to happen in Game of Thrones which made it all the more touching that her and Jon did finally meet again. It was quite a sad moment as they both talked about how they wished they'd never left Winterfell then quite a heartfelt apology from Sansa, it's quite amazing how much she's changed from the fairly whiny teenager to quiet steely resolve, she seems to have been strengthened by all the horrible things that have happened to her. It's much the same with Theon and Loras who've both been broken and supported by their stronger sisters.
Tappy

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Tappy » 20 May 2016, 09:44

Responding to John about S6E04

Spoiler:
Yeah, Sansa has had quite the evolution, so much so that I want her to win the game of thrones more than Jon now.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 May 2016, 18:51

Season 6 Episode 5 spoilers:
Spoiler:
To start with, this sums up my thoughts:

http://imgur.com/gallery/4nXYroC

It's extremely irritating that so many sites post huge spoilers in their titles immediately after the show has been on particularly given these days more people do not watch TV on a schedule and the internet is very much worldwide, I'm sure there's plenty of people like me that don't watch Game of Thrones at 2am. Thanks to those twats I knew Hodor was going to die this episode which spoiled it somewhat although at least the shock wasn't that Hodor died, it was the horrible revelation that it was Bran that had crippled him which was very well done and so upsetting to watch. I was puzzled as to why Bran was being blamed for the white walkers being able to invade but then realised he'd been doing some sight seeing on his own and made a bit of a mistake. It's quite a big reveal to finally find out where the white walkers came from.

Another strong performance from Sansa and it was good to see that her experience with Ramsay isn't just being glossed over yet despite wanting revenge she's still up for playing a bit of the political games to get what she needs.

I was concerned Theon would screw up again and claim he wanted to be King but instead we got a touching and quite correct speech to support Yara and judging by the amount of ships that had left, clearly she has a lot of support. As the good old Uncle declared his murderous intent I couldn't see Yara just running away with Theon so thought that was a good scene watching the bulk of the fleet leave.

At a time where we're making good progress on other storylines, Arya's progress is still frustratingly slow - I guess she was forced to watch that show to see if her temper would kick off and she'd murder someone else she wasn't supposed to? At least we got a little background on the god of many faces.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”