Game of Thrones thread

Anything goes here...
User avatar
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter
Posts: 8024
Joined: 07 May 2008
Location: Inverness
Contact:

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 May 2013, 12:47

I'm hoping other people are watching Game of Thrones? I'm a bit puzzled by the last one..series 3 episode 6 spoilers:

Spoiler:
Why was Sansa crying at the boat going away? Is Little Finger on that one and she now knows that she cannot marry the young knight guy so she's upset she's missed her escape?


John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
User avatar
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 May 2008
Location: London, UK

Re: Game of Thrones thread

Postby Tappy » 07 May 2013, 13:18

Yes!

Or that's the impression it gave me. That was certainly his boat because it had his sigil. And I imagine the result of the other news didn't help either!

Do you read the Guardian Blog by Sarah Hughes? If not I really recommend it as a nice recap on the main points in the episode. And it really helps me to learn everyone's name! It used to be better when she had more time to write them, but now she watches them at the same time as America and has to quickly write about it. She's quite amusing though. http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... by-episode

Yey, I didn't need to use spoiler tags!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
User avatar
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap
Posts: 3072
Joined: 26 June 2008

Re: Game of Thrones thread

Postby scarbunny » 07 May 2013, 13:36

I'm currently only on to episode 2 of series 2 but I'm lost, there seems to be things that I don't remember happening at the end of series 1 that have obviously happened for the story to be were it is. So I'm feeling a little lost, need to sit down and watch a run of episodes I think.

I gave up on the books a while back as I found the writing clumsy, the story was becoming repetitious and I had many more books I was enjoying more to read, I need to go back to finish them but all these facts remain true so its hard to bring myself to do it.
Image
User avatar
robbo
100th member
100th member
Posts: 5588
Joined: 23 May 2008

Re: Game of Thrones thread

Postby robbo » 07 May 2013, 13:36

Not watched any of it yet...
User avatar
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter
Posts: 8024
Joined: 07 May 2008
Location: Inverness
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 May 2013, 17:14

Tappy wrote:Yes!

Or that's the impression it gave me. That was certainly his boat because it had his sigil. And I imagine the result of the other news didn't help either!

Do you read the Guardian Blog by Sarah Hughes? If not I really recommend it as a nice recap on the main points in the episode. And it really helps me to learn everyone's name! It used to be better when she had more time to write them, but now she watches them at the same time as America and has to quickly write about it. She's quite amusing though. http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... by-episode

Yey, I didn't need to use spoiler tags!


No, I hadn't read her blog but it looks not just a good read but useful discussions in the comments.

Series 3 episode 6 spoilers:

Spoiler:
You're right that it's Little Finger's ship although on the page you've linked to the debate is whether it's departing with Little Finger or it's just sitting in the bay and Sansa is simply crying on finding out she's not being married to the young knight guy and she's looking at the ship to weigh up whether to go or not. The latter seems to fit a little better although I'm sure we'll find out soon.


John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
User avatar
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter
Posts: 8024
Joined: 07 May 2008
Location: Inverness
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 May 2013, 17:44

scarbunny wrote:I'm currently only on to episode 2 of series 2 but I'm lost, there seems to be things that I don't remember happening at the end of series 1 that have obviously happened for the story to be were it is. So I'm feeling a little lost, need to sit down and watch a run of episodes I think.


I'm sure that's the same for a lot of people, it certainly was for me at certain points as the huge and diverse cast means there's only so much they can get in each week so some characters will be gone for a while then suddenly they just re-appear with the assumption you remember who they are. Many of the outfits are similar as well making it difficult to distinguish between some of them plus you can't really look anyone up because you run the risk of spoilers. I also don't know what many of the names are either as there's so many of them.

If there's any characters you're wondering about in particular feel free to ask here and may be able to help.

I gave up on the books a while back as I found the writing clumsy, the story was becoming repetitious and I had many more books I was enjoying more to read, I need to go back to finish them but all these facts remain true so its hard to bring myself to do it.


I've been tempted to give the books a go but then I enjoy the TV series that much I'd rather wait for it to finish then maybe try the books afterwards, knowing what is coming would spoil watching it on TV.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
User avatar
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter
Posts: 8024
Joined: 07 May 2008
Location: Inverness
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 May 2013, 18:10

robbo wrote:Not watched any of it yet...


I'd highly recommend it, you can pick up the first two series in a boxed set for a reasonable price on blu-ray and the quality of the transfer is stunning. I didn't think it would be my sort of thing at all by stuck with it and quickly found myself completely hooked, easily the TV series I've enjoyed the most recently. Although I haven't seen Breaking Bad at all, I'm tempted to give it a go as there's so many recommendations for it.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
User avatar
robbo
100th member
100th member
Posts: 5588
Joined: 23 May 2008

Re: Game of Thrones thread

Postby robbo » 07 May 2013, 22:09

Johnmcl7 wrote:
robbo wrote:Not watched any of it yet...


I'd highly recommend it, you can pick up the first two series in a boxed set for a reasonable price on blu-ray and the quality of the transfer is stunning. I didn't think it would be my sort of thing at all by stuck with it and quickly found myself completely hooked, easily the TV series I've enjoyed the most recently. Although I haven't seen Breaking Bad at all, I'm tempted to give it a go as there's so many recommendations for it.

John


My housemate has the first series on blu-ray so will try and get into it once my studying and work schedules die down a bit. Heard that it takes a little time to get going but after a few episodes it gets good.
User avatar
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter
Posts: 8024
Joined: 07 May 2008
Location: Inverness
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 07 May 2013, 22:47

Unlike many US TV series, Game of Thrones is comparatively short as there's only ten episodes per series so it's not quite the commitment the usual 20+ episodes require.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
User avatar
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 May 2008
Location: London, UK

Re: Game of Thrones thread

Postby Tappy » 08 May 2013, 07:54

scarbunny wrote:I'm currently only on to episode 2 of series 2 but I'm lost, there seems to be things that I don't remember happening at the end of series 1 that have obviously happened for the story to be were it is. So I'm feeling a little lost, need to sit down and watch a run of episodes I think.


If the blogs are still up there, it's probably worth going back to the episodes you missed and giving them a read if you don't want to watch them all again.

I've heard mixed reviews on the books, in fact a guy in work wanted to read them and I warned him about the writing quality (a bit rich considering I'd not read them) and he's loving them. But I think I'm happier enjoying it as a TV series.

And John, yeah, I hadn't considered that option was still open to her. For some reason I assumed it had closed. As you say, we'll find out soon enough! I'm a bit paranoid at the comments on that blog that someone might give a massive spoiler, so I tend to skim them at most!
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
User avatar
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths
Posts: 284
Joined: 16 May 2008
Location: Cornwall, UK
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones thread

Postby Southwestwall » 15 May 2013, 20:44

I read the books after the series ends and the first two have been spot on the mark. However, why would they not be, as George R Martin himself writes the TV adaptation.

Game Of Thrones is easily the best show on television by a Westeros mile. Not least because of HBO's incredible production standards, attendant deep pockets and almost unique assumption of intelligent viewers, but also the fact that it has a predominantly British and European cast. This heady and rare combination makes it possible to forget that it is American at all.

Long live collaboration if that is the end result.
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/
User avatar
Tappy
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 May 2008
Location: London, UK

Re: Game of Thrones thread

Postby Tappy » 16 May 2013, 08:42

Ummm, if this was Facebook:
^Like

If it was Twitter:
RT

I absolutely love that they (Martin, Weiss and Benioff) have created and maintained that constant threat hanging above every character's head, that things might not always pan out. That big confrontation you were expecting may never happen, because the character might die (or worse) in the meantime.
Gengar Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Samsung 256GB M.2, NVidia GTX 970
Wigglytuff Microsoft Surface Book | Raichu Microsoft Lumia 950 XL | Bulbasaur Nvidia Shield Tablet | Arbok Microsoft Band 2
User avatar
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter
Posts: 8024
Joined: 07 May 2008
Location: Inverness
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 May 2013, 12:09

series 3 episode 7 spoilers:

Spoiler:
How did Thereon Greyjoy end up in that torture room? I remember him making his speech about holding Winterfell but then getting knocked out by one of his soldiers who picked up him up to head home. I thought he had been taken home and was being punished by his father but he doesn't seem to recognise where he is
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
User avatar
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter
Posts: 8024
Joined: 07 May 2008
Location: Inverness
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 04 Jun 2013, 01:11

Series 3 episode 9 spoilers:

Spoiler:
Wow....


John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
User avatar
Southwestwall
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths
Posts: 284
Joined: 16 May 2008
Location: Cornwall, UK
Contact:

Re: Game of Thrones thread

Postby Southwestwall » 04 Jun 2013, 17:50

How was that for a case of George Martin character brutality?
Notebook: Alienware M17xR3 - Core i7 2720QM, 8GB RAM, AMD HD6990M 2GB, 2x 1TB Sata 3 HD, Win7 64 HP
Notebook: Dell XPS M1730 - C2D T9300, 4GB RAM, 2x 8800M GTX SLi, 2x320GB HD, Fista 64 HP

Forgotten Hope 2 - http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/

Return to “The Salmon Pond”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests