Game of Thrones thread

Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 20 Jul 2017, 17:32

Replicant wrote:Source of the post I cannot commit to this its a ridiculous amount of time to waste when I could be out on my bike/motorbike.

Rather fed up of overlong American TV shows where the stories get more ridiculous as each series goes on. This is why I wont watch Lost or The Walking Dead either. CBA

:tank: on your :uni:

You need something to wind down to with a nice chilled drink after a good ride :)

Game of Thrones has always been good for only being as long as it needs to be and not any longer so with very high costs (massive cast, CGI and diverse shooting locations) they've kept to just ten episodes a season. This year they've dropped to seven episodes and the final season will be only six which is a little frustrating in some ways as it's a great show I would rather they make fewer quality episode with a proper finish than spoil it by being forced to churn out episodes they don't have the budget for.

John
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 27 Jul 2017, 00:53

Season 7 Episode 2 spoilers:

Spoiler:
This felt a bit rushed to me particularly the Euron bit at the end, I realise getting rid of characters we like such as Yara is part of Game of Thrones but it seemed ridiculous not just that Euron found the fleet but also happened to find the flagship. I realise it's been something of a running joke to make such a mess of Dorne but the end of the sand vipers was also frustratingly bad, they could at least have had a decent end. I did like Theon's actions though which felt convincing and not forgetting what had happened to him whereas some shows would have had a defiant end.

Daenerys was irritating this week as well between threatening to burn Varys and telling Jon Snow to come to here and bend his knee, no better than Xersei and obviously needing Tyrion's more moderate hand. I'm not sure what Arya's scene with the wolves was meant to mean although I've seen some suggestions it's to imply she's a lone wolf now and no longer accepted by the pack.

On the other hand I did like Sam and his desperation to help Jorah and that scene with peeling away the grayscale was impressively well done given how painful it was to watch.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Game of Thrones thread

Postby robbo » 09 Aug 2017, 16:32

I am finally caught up on Game of Thrones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like heck am I going to read the whole of this thread though so no idea what you guys are thinking!

Ooo err to the latest episode! :D
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Game of Thrones thread

Postby EviL Ras » 09 Aug 2017, 22:57

Latest episode can be described as "OMGWTFBBQ!!!"
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 11 Aug 2017, 02:22

Season 7, episode 4 spoilers:

Spoiler:
Yeah, this episode was just incredible not just for the content but how amazingly well filmed it was plus the fact that anyone can die so when Jaime charged Daenerys at the end, either one or both could have died. Bronn is always awesome as well from his funny little digs then the very serious side of him when he realised that they were completely stuffed and told Jaime to get away.

I saw a good post which I didn't save about the all the references back to early episodes, in the first series Robert states that only a fool would meet the Dothraki on open ground, Sansa at one point states that 'no one can protect her' and Arya of course states no-one trained her, Jon Snow accused the wildlings of putting their survival before their pride as Daenerys says to Jon Snow, chaos is a ladder is obviously what Baelish had said and Jaime falling is almost the same shot of Bran falling in the first episode.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Game of Thrones thread

Postby robbo » 12 Aug 2017, 08:08

EviL Ras wrote:Source of the post OMGWTFBBQ!!!

Lol BBQ! :lol:
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Game of Thrones thread

Postby EviL Ras » 21 Aug 2017, 21:42

Game changer! WOW!!!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Aug 2017, 02:18

Season 7, Episode 6 spoilers:

Spoiler:
I'm not sure what to think of this one as I'd heard a faction was eliminated so I assumed that was either Jon Snow or the Night King was going to do down, when they were stuck on that spot I was thinking we're expecting the dragons to save them but that's not what is going to happen as it's too predictable. And it still happened, it also seemed reasonable that the white walkers would have defences against the dragons which they did and also no surprise that they revived one of the dragon having had the fight with the bear to make it clear they can revive animals as well.

Arya and Sansa's troubled relationship seems to have happened far too quickly just based on one note even though it's playing on a rivalry that's existed for a long time

All that aside though it was an incredible episode to watch and they're really done an amazing job of the dragons which seem far more real than I'd have thought possible, the scene as the dragons came around was incredible.
I thought Tyrion's farewell to Dany was well done too as really came across as gutted that she was doing this.

I'm still not really sure where it's all going to go as I can't see any way the Lannisters will accept a truce and help with the threat from the north and the white walkers themselves seem almost invincible given the huge numbers they have to defend them to stop someone getting close with Valerian steel or obsidian.

I did also like the joke with Tormund when he complains about the stink in the south and Jon replies that Winterfell is the north...could almost hear Robbo's voice there.
matt
Cake
Cake

Game of Thrones thread

Postby matt » 22 Aug 2017, 13:44

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post Season 7, Episode 6 spoilers:

Spoiler:
I'm not sure what to think of this one as I'd heard a faction was eliminated so I assumed that was either Jon Snow or the Night King was going to do down, when they were stuck on that spot I was thinking we're expecting the dragons to save them but that's not what is going to happen as it's too predictable. And it still happened, it also seemed reasonable that the white walkers would have defences against the dragons which they did and also no surprise that they revived one of the dragon having had the fight with the bear to make it clear they can revive animals as well.

Arya and Sansa's troubled relationship seems to have happened far too quickly just based on one note even though it's playing on a rivalry that's existed for a long time

All that aside though it was an incredible episode to watch and they're really done an amazing job of the dragons which seem far more real than I'd have thought possible, the scene as the dragons came around was incredible.
I thought Tyrion's farewell to Dany was well done too as really came across as gutted that she was doing this.

I'm still not really sure where it's all going to go as I can't see any way the Lannisters will accept a truce and help with the threat from the north and the white walkers themselves seem almost invincible given the huge numbers they have to defend them to stop someone getting close with Valerian steel or obsidian.

I did also like the joke with Tormund when he complains about the stink in the south and Jon replies that Winterfell is the north...could almost hear Robbo's voice there.

Spoiler:
I agree somewhat with the dragon scene but at the same time, it did set up for a much larger battle to come, we now know the army can be toppled if you kill the leaders, and similarly they have commanders to match those in the North(south) and South (south south) of the wall so it won't simply be a numbers game for whatever battle comes.

losing a dragon will change negotiations with the lanisters too I expect.

I think all season we've been seeing a colder more calculated Arya and the coming together this episodes show's more of little fingers competence to manipulate for his own gain above the sisters disagreeing - arya still has some way to go.

What does a blue dragon breathe though?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Aug 2017, 22:03

Spoiler:
Although it's not entirely out of character for Arya it still feels like they're rushing it too quickly like most of the series when she's gone from annoyed with Arya to threatening to kill her and wear her skin the next. It's also weird that while the main characters have now reached the point they're instantly teleporting around the map pretty much (Gendry ran to Castle Black, got a raven to Dragonstone and then Dany flew all the way up to beyond the wall to save them while they were waiting on the island), the white walkers don't seem to have made any progress at all. Also surely taking the wight to the Maesters makes more sense given their influence?

After some great build up it just feels like they're moving far too fast and wasting a lot of that build up particularly when the next series is shorter again.

Since the living dragons breath fire, I'd guess the undead one would do the opposite and have some sort of ice beam instead.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Game of Thrones thread

Postby EviL Ras » 29 Aug 2017, 10:36

I thought that was an amazing way to finish the season! What a great last 5 mins too! What do you guys think?
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Game of Thrones thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 29 Aug 2017, 14:36

Series 7 spoilers:

Spoiler:
I thought it was a good finish to the season as well and sorted out some of the more questionable aspects of the series. I still think the whole 'steal a wight' story was daft but thought it believable that Cersei wouldn't really care and try to take advantage of it and I did think for a moment she was going to tell the mountain to kill him. It was good to see the Starks weren't fooled at all by Littlefinger and that Bran has actually been doing something useful all along, it was a touching moment with Arya and Sansa up on the wall. It also makes sense that the White Walkers have been doing nothing as they've needed the dragon to get through the wall so all along if Jon Snow hadn't done anything they'd likely still be stuck behind the wall.

I hadn't realised until reading comments after that the fact Lyanna wasn't kidnapped illegally and i was her choice meant that Robert's whole rebellion wasn't legimate.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”