Dear Blog V XIII

Anything goes here...
robbo
100th member
100th member

Re: Dear Blog V XIII

Postby robbo » 29 Nov 2010, 10:02

Dear Blog,

Well that was an eventful weekend. Was having good fun until me and a mate were assaulted for no apparent reason. We were stood outside a club minding our own business when this guy started going berserk at us. I got smacked in the head and my mate's ended up with a fractures to his cheek and eye socket. He's wearing a face mask at the moment. No idea why this guy started on us. This girl in the smoking area for the club was saying 'sorry about him he's having a bad one' or similar and then next thing I know I'm on the floor. The bouncers were c*cks but police took details as the guy scarpered.

Anyway, Sunday itself was alright and did a bit of midi drumming to a few of my mate's tunes and we've finally got some software to work properly.

re OU - in the higher level courses they have done away with face to face tutorials and pretty much everything is online. I only attended one online tutorial in my last course and have to say it wasn't the best experience. The connection was a bit patchy with the tutors' voices sometimes breaking up and I don't think everyone knew what was going on. Maybe they got better over the course but I do prefer the 'old' face to face ones. Does mean you are even more by yourself when studying, as unless you start a self help group, you're unlikely to ever meet your tutors or co-students.

I'm a big fan of the OU though, that's just one of my cost cutting/newer tech grumbles I have. Sure it'll get better and those that had to travel miles to a nearby college like it. They are also cutting back on the amount and type of degrees they are offering along with their summer schools which will irk some that are just starting out.
FatIan
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby FatIan » 29 Nov 2010, 10:30

Dear Blog,

RIP Leslie Neilsen, I'm sure there isn't a person on here who didn't enjoy his comic genius. Died of complications to pneumonia, he was 84.
Rock X770, T9300, 8800m, 500GB 7200rpm, TV tuner, WUXGA, Silver Trim, external LG blu-ray writer

Home built rig- Obsidian 800D, i7 980x OC@4.21Ghz, Zotac 480GTXs in sli, 128GB SSD 6gbs, 1TB WD Black 6gbs, Blu-ray rw, 3D Vision Kit and Monitor THX SS
Roadshow
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Roadshow » 29 Nov 2010, 11:12

Johnmcl7 wrote:Dear Blog,

Roadshow, any particular reason for mentioning the OU or just simply because you're getting on well with it? Just wondering if I've missed some earlier posts, it is something I'm currently considering as my local college is very limited in what it offers which makes the OU the obvious choice. Unfortunately their photography course is fairly limited although I'm thinking it's probably worth trying anyway as it's fairly short and looks quite flexible. I'd really like to learn more about video work but I haven't noticed any suitable courses with the OU.

John

Dear blog,

no reason for the mention except that I had just enjoyed a really excellent tutorial. Robbo is right though, level 1 courses guarantee you a tutorial once a month, but after that and dependent upon the course, they can be quite infrequent. That said, the tutor is always available via forum, email or phone. There is a dedicated forum for your tutor group, and the opportunity if enough of you live in an area to arrange study-groups. Because courses are now largely a mixture of textbooks and independent work online, there is no requirement to be available at any particular time, just to get the required hours of study in. They send you the stuff weeks before the course actually kicks off, so there is ample opportunity to get two or three weeks ahead of schedule in order to cut yourself some slack to allow for the unexpected.

I think the most important thing is to choose a course in which you have a genuine interest, then it feels more like exploring an interest than work. On the OU site, there are study planners allowing you to pick and choose modules which lead to your preferred qualification.

I can't recommend it highly enough, it is a world apart from when I first began and aborted a course thirteen years ago.

Road
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 01 Dec 2010, 02:31

Dear Blog,

Thanks for all the information on the OU, it's a lot more flexible than I realised so I'll need to look further into it. It's more for personal interest rather than certifications just for the sake of work, I have considered the latter but I'm not sure how much benefit they'd be which may bite me in the ass later.

After being his usual madcap self Alfie has been unexpectedly unwell this evening, he started throwing up just before his dinner and just become continually worse over the evening. Almost called the vet but after a wander outside he perked up as he came in and seemed to settle down ok in this bed. Will see how he is in the morning as to whether he needs a trip to the vet or not, I suspect he will just for peace of mind. I just hate it when he's sitting there looking poorly and not being able to ask him how he's feeling or what he would like. Speak of the devil, he's just wandered in and looking a bit uncomfortable again. It's funny how you miss the normally annoying things such as his usual fierce biting sessions in the evening.

John
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 01 Dec 2010, 09:35

Dear Blog,

First of Dec! Who's got an advent calendar? I haven't. No daily chocolates for me yet...
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 01 Dec 2010, 15:10

Dear blog,

Hope alfie is alright john. Mui was funny, i let her out into the garden to chase the birds, and she went to drink from the Koi pond. Except its frozen! so the ice has somewhat confused her, as she just prods it!

Robbo, we've got a hotel chocolat advent calendar for 2. has 2 mini hotel chocolate truffles behind each door! nom nom nom!
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 01 Dec 2010, 16:45

Dear Blog,

Jealous Rasman!! I'm still struggling to open my mouth fully (and yawning hurts too) so maybe it's a good thing I don't have nice chocolate to munch on. I have to keep reminding myself not to take big spoonfuls of food like I would normally. Anyway, hope the pooches are well!
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 01 Dec 2010, 16:57

Dear robbo,

Eek, does it still hurt? Hows your mate doing? I take it police cant do owt'.
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 01 Dec 2010, 17:36

Dear Rassle,

Yeah, still a bit of pain when opening my mouth wide and when touching the side of my head but it's getting better. Can sleep on it fine though so that's good. My mate still has a swollen face and with the fractures it'll be a while yet before he's back to normal. Yeah, not heard anything from them but they were good and nice at the scene. Just sucks that there are ass-holes like him about to ruin your evening.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 01 Dec 2010, 18:07

dear blog,
only the angry birds advent calendar.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 02 Dec 2010, 11:36

Dear Blog,

Could be snowed in again! Went out and looked at the country lane and it's very slippery underfoot. Walked the 200 or so yards uphill to the main road and that's fine. Sub zero temperatures all day and night and more snow forecast won't help the cause. Will see how I get on later...
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 02 Dec 2010, 11:41

Dear blog,

just watched englands presentation for the world cup bid. was brilliant. Very professional, very slick, as expected. I wait with baited breathe for 3.10pm. tho i doubt we'll get it. damn Blatter...
LUHG
Born 28/11/2018
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Dec 2010, 13:19

Dear Blog,

Gmail is kindly blocking all mail from e-bay which explains why I've not been receiving mail from them. Thankfully I've managed to get the SB-800 ok (Nikon flash) which arrived yesterday and been playing with it this morning. Enough to realise I don't have a clue about multiple lighting setups as my results are very random although some pictures came out ok which shows some of the potential.

Alfie is looking better this morning as he's been trying to steal food and making a lot of noise so much more like himself. My wallet is looking a lot less healthy though at £110 down and still another consultation to go.

John
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 02 Dec 2010, 16:30

Dear blog.

Looks like we haven't got the world cup... so the rumors go..
LUHG
Born 28/11/2018
scarbunny
Master of the Salmon Slap
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby scarbunny » 02 Dec 2010, 18:10

Dear Blog

Good.

We can barely afford to run the country as it is let alone stage, what will no doubt have been, a multi-billion pound football tournament for the benefit of a small proportion of the population.

Same with the bloody Olympics, waste of money.

Return to “The Salmon Pond”