Dear Blog V XIII

Anything goes here...
Advocate
Master of the Salmon Slap

Re: Dear Blog V XIII

Postby Advocate » 24 Nov 2010, 10:43

dear robbo

what phone is it? I remember engadget had a phone that cracked while sat on a desk (think it was a motorola droid) - seem to remember them saying that it was due to a tiny stress fracture that grew when the temperature changed (like a car windscreen crack) or something.

I'd pay for insurance now, wait a week and then claim. but then I am a dishonest little bugger!
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 24 Nov 2010, 16:46

Dear dishonest little bugger :p

It's my Sony Ericsson x10 mini pro. Sounds as though what happened with engadget's phone has happened to mine - it went from working to broken without any bashes.

Got a reply from expansys saying it looks like a cracked screen. Am replying saying that when pressing onto the 'crack' lines the lines don't get bigger and saying what I just said above about it working then not.
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 25 Nov 2010, 00:57

matt wrote:
EviL Ras wrote:Dear robbo blog,

What ho. Turned down that London job. Was far too front line for me.

And v tired today. Early night for me. Yawn!

dear blog,
got offered the job. Now to ask for more $$$... Will at least get a car allowance but not really what I was hoping for!

Dear blog,
Finally had some good news from the job offer and will now be a nielsen international solutions implementation consultant. With a bump to my basic + car allowance it works out around 26% pay increase 8-) 8-) . Huge win for me! Although won't kick in until Q1 next year, need to ride out my current role for a couple of months yet :(

The only downside to this is my sports car dreams have now been shot through so need to have a rethink. Company car allowance must be less than 10 years old (53/4 plate would be ideal) and 4 seats, diesel a bonus for client trips. So basically like my sensible ibiza 1.9tdi 54 plate but bigger and better.

320d, s40/s60d's, leon cupra d's, octavia rs (maybe), back to pistonheads...
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 25 Nov 2010, 02:05

Dear Blog,

No luck with the returns. It seems I'll either have to go and find a local repair shop myself or do the same through expansys which will most probably cost more than going locally. No chance at a warranty job as it looks like a cracked screen. Bah humbug...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 Nov 2010, 02:51

Dear Blog,

Congratulations Matt, from what you'd said before there didn't seem much hope of getting anything decent but that all sounds great. 54 plate would be a bit early for Octavia Vrs, although the mk II (using the Golf Mk V platform) was released by then the VRS (including the diesel version with the two litre 170bhp TDI engine) wasn't released until late 05 or early 06. The mk I Octavia VRS (on the Golf Mk IV chassis) was petrol only with the 1.8 twin turbo engine pushing out 180bhp. I'm not so clued up on mk II Leons (again, Golf MK IV chassis), they should be available in FR or Cupra with 1.9 PD 150bhp TDI engine which was the one I had in my Toledo. Mk III Leons which are much the same as the current ones use the mk V Golf chassis are petrol only for the Cupras with the FR being the warm version using the same engine as the VRS. I think this variant was introduced later and around the same time as the VRS. I liked the sound of some of the Volvos but too soft a ride for me however that may be a bonus for you if you're covering a lot of miles. I really fancied a BMW 320d estate as it offers great handling, a superb diesel engine and all in estate form as well but the deal breaker was the fact the car would be pretty much useless in poor winter weather. I don't drive in the snow that often and the Toledo/Octavia with their sports setup are not well suited to the snow but the Toledo did surprisingly well and the Octavia has already had its first taste of snow today.

John
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 25 Nov 2010, 09:42

Dear blog,

Ras is off to london this afternoon for a big glitzy work award ceremony. so thats nice! then next week off, where i'm going down to london again!
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 Nov 2010, 14:08

Dear Blog,

Hmm...sounds almost as exciting as my overnight trip to Edinburgh to get a new timing belt ;)

John
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 26 Nov 2010, 16:44

Dear blog,

OMG that was awesome! My room was really nice. but plenty of people got suites as we book the whole hotel! Dinner was stunning! Venison, halibut, real honeycomb. Wine was free flowing, free bar. And gaby logan presenting it all! And Matt Dawson was there too, but he works for our company now, so that makes sense! And the boss i made the video for won the award she went for! So all in all it was brilliant! Def want to do all i can to be nominated to go again next year!!
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 27 Nov 2010, 01:01

Dear Blog,

Lucky Mr Ras!!

To bed for me, then work and then off up to Cheltenham for pre-birthday drinks and fun! And maybe some music if we're not too hungover on Sunday.
Roadshow
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Roadshow » 27 Nov 2010, 15:44

Dear Blog,

I really must recommend the OU.

I had an aborted attempt at study with them more than a decade ago, but this time I chose subjects ('exploring psychology' and 'introducing health sciences' with a view to working toward a psychology degree) which were relevant to both my interests and working life. The study has caught up with the internet age and mixes lots of on-line learning and excercises with materials on DVD and in textbooks. It all works really well and is built upon in monthly tutorials.

It is great fun, and so far all three of my tutors have been charismatic, erudite and, above all, hotties. Worth every penny. Too bad that by the time I qualify, gain work experience and then a doctorate, ten years will have passed and I'll be thinking about retiring. I figure with pensions disappearing or worthless, a bit of private practice will keep me in PCs and beer.
FatIan
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby FatIan » 28 Nov 2010, 13:12

Dear Blog,

Sofa and chair arrived, well chuffed with it, so much more comfortable than the one I was given when I first moved in. Single chair is massive though, didn't look that big in the shop. All electric recliner action, shame they didn't do the rocker recliner in the style I wanted. Still got one rocking chair though from previous suite.

Not so impressed with the playstation, got round to sorting it out last night, 2.5hrs and I still hadn't managed to play a game. It must use the worlds slowest update and install system. It was the Grand Turismo bundle so it was just out, but still needed a new software upgrade and then game update then game install. Finally got it all sorted and it was half twelve, so thought sod it and went to bed without even turning a stick on GT5.
Rock X770, T9300, 8800m, 500GB 7200rpm, TV tuner, WUXGA, Silver Trim, external LG blu-ray writer

Home built rig- Obsidian 800D, i7 980x OC@4.21Ghz, Zotac 480GTXs in sli, 128GB SSD 6gbs, 1TB WD Black 6gbs, Blu-ray rw, 3D Vision Kit and Monitor THX SS
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 28 Nov 2010, 14:40

Dear Blog,

Roadshow, any particular reason for mentioning the OU or just simply because you're getting on well with it? Just wondering if I've missed some earlier posts, it is something I'm currently considering as my local college is very limited in what it offers which makes the OU the obvious choice. Unfortunately their photography course is fairly limited although I'm thinking it's probably worth trying anyway as it's fairly short and looks quite flexible. I'd really like to learn more about video work but I haven't noticed any suitable courses with the OU.

The alternative I've been considering is something more technology orientated although I'm a bit wary as some of the courses have a fairly long duration and I'm not sure how flexible they are around shift work.

Ian, I find that incredibly annoying as well. I don't know what's in the updates but the PS3 always seems to need much larger updates than the Xbox ever does despite the fact there's not much in the way of big changes. I try now to keep the PS3's powered up on a regular basis to make sure they have their system updates for when I do want to play a new game and not sit around waiting for a system update.

John
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 28 Nov 2010, 15:36

Dearest Blog,

Same here, PS3 needed an update, then GT5 needed an install, then an update, eventually played one track. Most annoying, but at least it's done now :)

Anyone played Dawn of War 2? I bought it in the steam sale and the bloody thing crashes every time I try to start a campaign. Oh and another annoying thing, it won't allow me to skip the intro movie. It's a good movie, but I do not want to watch it over and over. Didn't the games industry get the memo I sent on this two decades ago??
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 28 Nov 2010, 15:58

Dear Blog,

Yes, I have both Dawn of War 2 and the expansion pack. You should be able to skip the intro movie after the first time it's played so I think something has gone wrong with your install. I don't know what to suggest for the crashing either as after waiting a long time for all the patching and nonsense to finish, the game worked ok for me. The expansion pack was a lot more problematic though.

John
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 28 Nov 2010, 16:24

Dear Blog

I find the 'verify cache' or whatever it is on Steam to be very effective at curing issues like that.

Finally decided to raise my desktop from the dead. I was very worried the mobo had gone pop, but turns out the psu had blown the ATX. So, got a new psu (on 2nd one as first had no pci-e). Plugged in, turn on, fans whir drives spin but no video and no boot bleep. Take the ram out and I get the beep code for that so I know the speaker is working.

The fan on the GPU is working, but I have no way to test if the GPU has been fried as well. Any ideas?
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein

Return to “The Salmon Pond”