Re: What have you bought today - VOL 3

Postby matt » 25 Nov 2010, 00:45

canon 550d turned up, so many buttons!
FatIan
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby FatIan » 25 Nov 2010, 11:25

A 320gb PS3 with collectors edition Grand Turismo, fingers crossed it arrives later today. Also my new sofa and chair should be arriving tomorrow if the weather doesn't get too bad.
Rock X770, T9300, 8800m, 500GB 7200rpm, TV tuner, WUXGA, Silver Trim, external LG blu-ray writer

Home built rig- Obsidian 800D, i7 980x OC@4.21Ghz, Zotac 480GTXs in sli, 128GB SSD 6gbs, 1TB WD Black 6gbs, Blu-ray rw, 3D Vision Kit and Monitor THX SS
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 25 Nov 2010, 13:47

Also been buying some furniture from Ikea which was as painless as ever thanks to their well organised system which makes it a breeze to find it all, also bought a soft football for Alfie as he likes cuddly toys and he likes balls to chase so this seemed a good combo. Also bought a timing belt for the Octavia which of course feels no different although at least the car is looking cleaner after its wash.

John
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
Advocate
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Advocate » 25 Nov 2010, 14:31

plane tickets to Vienna for valentines.
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 25 Nov 2010, 21:50

matt wrote:canon 550d turned up, so many buttons!

I was torn between that one and the 50d, but went for the 50d. I'd be curious to know how they differ. We should organise a busman's holiday for them :)

I bought a GameRacer ELITE Driving Simulator - Black to go with the steering wheel.

Basically it's a corbeau race seat on a frame to which you can stick a variety of steering wheels/pedals. So I've got the Logitech GT wheel I bought the other week on it :)

essentially I've just spent what I paid for my first ever car on a rig to play Gran Turismo 5 :)

Oh I'm also fighting the urge to buy This. I don't know how much longer my will power will last :D
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 26 Nov 2010, 00:16

so far so good, the camera makes me feel like a complete noob in that I keep changing the mode dials and jog wheel and the photos look pretty much the same (rubbish). steep learning curve! I have noticed that indoor shots look much, much better though. Just need to really spend some time learning the basics and getting to grips with what settings should fit what scenes.

Oh, an insure me on the scoob and we can holiday anywhere :)
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 26 Nov 2010, 18:03

matt wrote:so far so good, the camera makes me feel like a complete noob in that I keep changing the mode dials and jog wheel and the photos look pretty much the same (rubbish). steep learning curve! I have noticed that indoor shots look much, much better though. Just need to really spend some time learning the basics and getting to grips with what settings should fit what scenes.

Oh, an insure me on the scoob and we can holiday anywhere :)

I don't think that's what a busman's holiday involves :)

I have the same issue, although I'm coming from the position of relative ignorance as opposed to competence so the 50d still baffles me. I've got the 50d book with a lighthouse on the front (amazon for 50d in books) and that's pretty good for going over how it all works and how to make nice photos, I imagine there's a 550d one too, I haven't quite figured out what the difference is except I think the 550d does better video?
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 30 Nov 2010, 09:42

GT5 (unfortunately without the racing set up :()

Ian, I think you are correct in simple terms re: 50/550d. Need to have a play with video mode but think I will probably need a quicker card.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Postby EviL Ras » 02 Dec 2010, 09:30

2 entries to the 2011 london triathlon. Olympic distance on the buckingham palace course. a cool £216 including official t-shirts.. Better start training!
LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 02 Dec 2010, 12:13

Super Mario All Stars for the wii. £13.99 on pre-order at Sainsbury's entertainment. Good xmas pressie. linky
matt
Cake
Cake

Postby matt » 02 Dec 2010, 13:35

UKIan wrote:

I was torn between that one and the 50d, but went for the 50d. I'd be curious to know how they differ. We should organise a busman's holiday for them :)

I bought a GameRacer ELITE Driving Simulator - Black to go with the steering wheel.

Basically it's a corbeau race seat on a frame to which you can stick a variety of steering wheels/pedals. So I've got the Logitech GT wheel I bought the other week on it :)

essentially I've just spent what I paid for my first ever car on a rig to play Gran Turismo 5 :)

Oh I'm also fighting the urge to buy This. I don't know how much longer my will power will last :D

Ian, how are you getting on with your wheel? I'm getting tempted as GT5 is pulling me in hard.
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 02 Dec 2010, 14:51

matt wrote:
UKIan wrote:

Ian, how are you getting on with your wheel? I'm getting tempted as GT5 is pulling me in hard.

It's really nice, I've not been playing as much GT5 as I'd like, but the wheel does work really nicely. I've got a gokart in GT5, it's the first special thing you unlock, basically just for turning up, and you really notice the traction give way before a spin so it feels sort of right when you catch a spin, or hold a corner on the edge.

The only thing I'd watch out for is think about where you'll put it. Before I bought the chair I built a little table thing to sit on my coffee table so I could use it in front of the tv. It won't just sit on your lap. I guess that will define whether you use it or not. I'd play GT5 a bit and see if you think you'll like it enough, I've also bought Rally 2010, the demo of which felt really good with the wheel.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Dec 2010, 15:45

The main differences between the 50D and 550D are the pro-spec features, the 50D has a magnesium-alloy body, better autofocus, faster burst rate, more controls and a better viewfinder. Canon oddly tend to offer new features on the lower models and move them up the range including new sensors and autofocus where the 550D is better than the 50D.

John
Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz ram, Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB, 2TB SSD/44TB HDD, BD-ROM, Dell U2711/HTC Vive
Roadshow
Rising from the depths
Rising from the depths

Postby Roadshow » 02 Dec 2010, 22:30

Johnmcl7 wrote:The main differences between the 50D and 550D are the pro-spec features, the 50D has a magnesium-alloy body, better autofocus, faster burst rate, more controls and a better viewfinder. Canon oddly tend to offer new features on the lower models and move them up the range including new sensors and autofocus where the 550D is better than the 50D.

John

Doesn't the 50D also have a full size sensor?
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Postby Johnmcl7 » 02 Dec 2010, 22:45

Roadshow wrote:
Johnmcl7 wrote:The main differences between the 50D and 550D are the pro-spec features, the 50D has a magnesium-alloy body, better autofocus, faster burst rate, more controls and a better viewfinder. Canon oddly tend to offer new features on the lower models and move them up the range including new sensors and autofocus where the 550D is better than the 50D.

John

Doesn't the 50D also have a full size sensor?

No, the 50D is APS-C which is the same size as the 550D. It's the 5D and some of the 1Ds that have the full size sensor, the 1D (no suffix) has a 1.3x sensor in between the APS-C and full size sensors. The 50D was the top APS-C camera but the new 60D has been pushed down the range a bit and the 7D is now their flagship APS-C model.

John

Return to “The Salmon Pond”