Dear Blog V12

Anything goes here...
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Re: Dear Blog V12

Postby EviL Ras » 07 Aug 2010, 14:58

Dear fat people

I had a muffin.. you can keep your "widow maker" to yourselves!

LUHG
Drogon - Razer Blade 15 Advanced. 15.6" 1080p 144hz, i7 8750H 2.2 (4.1ghz turbo), 16gb DDR4 2666mhz, 8GB Nvidia GTX 1070 Max-Q, 1Tb 970 evo SSD
Born 28/11/2018
Replicant
Master of the Salmon Slap

Postby Replicant » 07 Aug 2010, 17:10

Dear blog

Well I had one of my five a day earlier - a nice fat slice of carrot cake. mmmmmmmmmmm :)
Y.N.W.A.
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 07 Aug 2010, 20:01

EviL Ras wrote:Dear fat people

I had a muffin.. you can keep your "widow maker" to yourselves!

Dearest Blog,

I need to learn how to do that :D

Quick diet tip, Ingest fewer calories than you burn and you will lose weight.

I'm going to put that in a book one day, I just need 400 pages of filler to go around it.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 07 Aug 2010, 20:42

Dear Blog

Also, eat less do more and do more eat less.
Fodder

Postby Fodder » 07 Aug 2010, 22:25

Dear Blog.

Interesting fact. The average UK citizen puts on 2 stone between the ages of 30 and fourty (could be twenty five, but not sure). This is the equivalent of eating one chocolate digestive a day on average. So, cut 100 cals a day, or lay off the biscuits, and you should maintain a static weight.

I worked this out when I got a little chubby a couple of years ago, and it was bang on. Cut the nibbles out and what do you know, back to the weight I was at 25.
"Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; & I'm not sure about the the universe."-Albert Einstein
UKIan

Postby UKIan » 07 Aug 2010, 22:42

Fodder wrote:Dear Blog.

Interesting fact. The average UK citizen puts on 2 stone between the ages of 30 and fourty (could be twenty five, but not sure). This is the equivalent of eating one chocolate digestive a day on average. So, cut 100 cals a day, or lay off the biscuits, and you should maintain a static weight.

I worked this out when I got a little chubby a couple of years ago, and it was bang on. Cut the nibbles out and what do you know, back to the weight I was at 25.

Dearest Blog,

It's the later end of 30-40 and depends on the persons metabolism as to how much it hits you, but your calorific requirements drop as you age and most people do less work in a day reducing the count still further. So while they might still go to the gym for an hour a day, but have a car and drive to the shops instead of walking. Silly example, you get the point.

Another interesting fact. All you desk jockeys who go to the gym for an hour a day hoping to stave off a heart attack. Apparently it doesn't work. Your heart looks at the median work level for a day and then decides on whether to punish you with a trip to hospital :) I've over simplified it, but again, I hope you get the point.

The thing I popped in to say, was for John, I got the three year on site cover with the Vaio, but as an add on. It came with 2 years of not on site I think before. Anyway it cost about 200 quid, but there were all sorts of warnings that weren't clear at the time that you have to have it within the first 30 days of purchase. I was, so all was good, but if you go that route, check the rules.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 07 Aug 2010, 22:54

Dear Blog,

On my drive back to my parents' I thought I was lucky to be on the otherside of the m25 where there was a 4 mile static tailback after an accident closing the motorway but I think the karma is equaling out. (did take me about 2mins of 15mph driving on the outside fast lane before I had noticed there were no cars on the other carriageway....)

My mum wanted a new tv for the kitchen to replace the old small crt so I said she could have mine which is a fairly new 22" tv/monitor that I got back in Nov last year (for a small fee to help cover the cost of my new laptop! :D ) Got back and started to set everything up - unplugged old tv, set top box etc... - then went to find channels. It couldn't find them all for some reason with channels 1,2,3,4,5 itv2, e4 etc all missing. Tried a manual set up and found a few of them but they were really glitchy. Thought that is might be due to the tv having an inferior integrated freeview 'box' than the stand alone so went to connect the old set top box to the new tv. (had never used the freeview bit in my room as I've no ariel). But when I plugged it in all the channels were there but they were blank. Bit miffed at this stage (connected via scart) but tried an auto set up as I thought maybe unplugging the box had done something funny to it.

After the retune now this box doesn't find all the channels! Is having the same problem as the tv is having! Argh, what's happening!? Was working fine before I unplugged it as my mum was using to watch tv through it! :evil:

So took my tv to the living room and used the aerial socket there to try and see if there just happened to be something malfunctioning with the kitchen aerial (both come via the roof and are split off at a junction in the living room). But it can't find all the channels here either! Getting a little worked up now so plug the aerial back into the living room set top box and all channels are working fine. What's happening!?

I bring the kitchen set top box into the living and try an update there but still that doesn't find all the channels either! ARGH!!!! I daren't update the living room box as all seems well and want to keep at least one box working fine...

Any ideas people?

The strange thing is that the box in the kitchen is the better of the two in the house and picks up a less glitchy signal on say c5 than in the licing room but now it can't even find the channel.

No idea what's happening...

:?: :?: :?:
FatIan
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby FatIan » 08 Aug 2010, 10:09

Dear Blog,

If they are old tuners Robbo they might not be compatible with the new Freeview signal they decided to adopt. Here is a an article that may help explain it-

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott ... -20632202/

Unfortunately once they have lost their channel memory they are basically obsolete.
Rock X770, T9300, 8800m, 500GB 7200rpm, TV tuner, WUXGA, Silver Trim, external LG blu-ray writer

Home built rig- Obsidian 800D, i7 980x OC@4.21Ghz, Zotac 480GTXs in sli, 128GB SSD 6gbs, 1TB WD Black 6gbs, Blu-ray rw, 3D Vision Kit and Monitor THX SS
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 08 Aug 2010, 11:26

Dear Blog,

Thanks for the link Ian but don't think that's the reason. The box was working fine in the morning before I unplugged it and with a fairly new tv I don't think it should be obsolete.

An update on my trials:

Tried one last update to the living room cable and it found nearly all the channels on both the kitchen box and my tv. Moving them back to the kitchen and they wouldn't show the 'newly' found channels. This made it look like there is something wrong with the splitter or co-ax to the kitchen from the splitter. So now my dad's taken the splitter off and plugged the cable straight into the wall socket. We get a choppy signal at best on say c5 when before yesterday afternoon it was fine.

Odd thing is plugging the co-ax straight into my tv results in hardly any signal but going through the set top box to then my tv gives an ok signal which makes me think there's some sort of booster in the set top box. And to make things even weirder, viewing through just the set top box results in a worse picture than via both box and tv! *bangs head against wall*

This simple just plug it in and update freeview malarkey (which it should be) is vexing me. I'm terribly vexed!

Mum just doesn't want to pay for sky...
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 08 Aug 2010, 17:15

Dear vent my frustrations blog,

Gawd knows what's happening...

Plugged my tv in the wall socket and got all the channel glitch free so tv vindicated. Changed round boosters. Go to kitchen and hardly any signal. Go to town to buy coaxial cable thinking that maybe it's damaged. New cable doesn't work in kitchen. but same cable works perfectly in living room. Try changing the multi plug socket on the wall in the kitchen to different one. Works! So try old co-ax and that doesn't. Try new one again and that doesn't either... WHAT!? Try in living room again, works, back to kitchen, kinda works.

Break for lunch.

Plug new into kitchen, works. What? I've not done anything. Starts to slowly go glitchy. Try old and that works too. I'm totally confussled. (as are you as you read this i'm guessing).

So, a 10 minute plug in and update job that I started about this time yesterday has turned into a one day ordeal which works with the original set up except a change of multi plug and no splitter by the main aerial socket. Maybe the neighbour's installed a new leaky microwave next door or something. He has been doing some DIY...

/end

i hope.
Combat Marmot
Enjoying the cake
Enjoying the cake

Postby Combat Marmot » 08 Aug 2010, 21:12

Dear Blog,

Had my CBT today. I was quite rubbish. I think I'll leave motorcycling to other people for now.

Something dodgy with the wall socket Robbo?

In other news, the house I am living in (renting) has a digifusion PVR which has now been turned in to a lemon as the (proprietary) service which provides the EPG has been turned off (or digifusion haven't paid them). Whatever the details actually are I am now left with a highly limited recording PVR which is most frustrating.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 08 Aug 2010, 21:48

Dear Blog,

Yep, was most probably the wall socket in the end. About 5 mins after my last post it was going dodgy again so decided to change the wall socket and everything worked! Glitch free! The splitter was causing glitches when I plugged it in so it's either tv in the kitchen or tv in the living room now.

But that's not the end of it because sometimes it's still glitchy. A few flicks and no signal (on only some of the channels) and then fine again in the kitchen. Will do for now but no idea why that is. Maybe some build up of static somewhere. It strangely did seem to be due to the hdmi cable being plugged into the tv from the dvd player, which was in a loop to keep it tidy but unwinding that and in the end unplugging it has only reduced the problem.

Has fubarded my time at home but have kind of got it sorted.
scarbunny

Postby scarbunny » 09 Aug 2010, 11:49

Dear Blog

I also get interference from my DVD player when its plugged in over scart, I blame the Freeview service being a pile of poorly implemented crap. If your parents have a Sky dish they should look into Freesat, more channels and a more consistent signal.
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 10 Aug 2010, 16:50

Dear Blog,

Yeah, even weirder as the dvd player wasn't even plugged into the mains making me think maybe it was a fault with the tv, but it still worked well in one room and then not the other, off the same cable... But I don't dislike freeview as much as I dislike DAB. Poor quality mono sound. Really need to go DAB+ or something before they switch analogue off.

My laptop's not going to arrive until sometime next week now. Bit of a bummer but at least I'll be off work to play with it next week! :D
robbo
100th member
100th member

Postby robbo » 12 Aug 2010, 07:53

Dear Blog,,

Factory dispatch tomorrow! :D

Return to “The Salmon Pond”