Photography Thread

Anything goes here...
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Photography Thread

Postby EviL Ras » 10 Sep 2015, 11:15

ok, so pretty much i'm struggling with focus on the A6000. I can never seem to focus on the right thing, so i need to dig around a bit on that. But i tried the XAVC-S video yesterday at 25fps and 1/50 shutter speed F4. Its incredible with the zeiss 16-70mm! So smooth and crystal clear! But the video is also 200mb for 32 seconds of a swan! :shock: :shock: :shock:

so basically around 2.5 hours on a 64gb card!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 10 Sep 2015, 15:08

I tend to stick with more basic focus modes with a fixed single centre AF or similar as that way you know what it's focusing on, the problem I find with automatic multi-AF systems is that they simply try and focus on the highest contrast which may not be what you're wanting to focus on. They're handy when shooting say a bird in the sky or similar where there's not much contrast aside from your subject.

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Photography Thread

Postby jurassicjim » 10 Sep 2015, 20:03

Yeah, what John says. I don't think I have ever used any other option that single point focus.

J
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 12 Sep 2015, 15:59

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post Yeah, what John says. I don't think I have ever used any other option that single point focus.

J

You mean you don't prefer sharply focused lamp posts or trees rather than your subject? How strange.... :lol:

I'm not sure if this should be here if I should post this here or the I want one of those thread but well, I want it lots:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/333909 ... so-409-600

John
Used correctly terrain is a second weapon in your arsenal, equal to your Titan itself. Make the battlefield work for you, or you will find it working for your opponent.
jurassicjim

Photography Thread

Postby jurassicjim » 12 Sep 2015, 18:36

It looks impressive to be sure! A good (and expensive!) announcement for video guys!

j
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Photography Thread

Postby EviL Ras » 12 Sep 2015, 21:48

Yeah, the new sony a7 looks amazing!! Definately better than the crap canon announced! "might be working on a 250mp sensor. might come out sometime?"
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
jurassicjim

Photography Thread

Postby jurassicjim » 13 Sep 2015, 10:03

One thing I don't get with the Sony mirrorless cameras, especially the A7R II is the lack on manual controls. There only seems to be one dial for exposure compensation - the more I use cameras the more I dials and knobs I want!

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Sep 2015, 18:57

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post One thing I don't get with the Sony mirrorless cameras, especially the A7R II is the lack on manual controls. There only seems to be one dial for exposure compensation - the more I use cameras the more I dials and knobs I want!

j

They have more manual controls than most, there's a dedicated exposure compensation as you've mentioned plus a control dial on the front and two on the rear. The smaller NEX-6 doesn't have quite as many but it still has a pair of control dials which is as many as most DSLRs have, the D700 and D750 only have a pair each.

John
jurassicjim

Photography Thread

Postby jurassicjim » 13 Sep 2015, 19:48

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post
jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post One thing I don't get with the Sony mirrorless cameras, especially the A7R II is the lack on manual controls. There only seems to be one dial for exposure compensation - the more I use cameras the more I dials and knobs I want!

j

They have more manual controls than most, there's a dedicated exposure compensation as you've mentioned plus a control dial on the front and two on the rear. The smaller NEX-6 doesn't have quite as many but it still has a pair of control dials which is as many as most DSLRs have, the D700 and D750 only have a pair each.

John

Ah, ok, where is the second back dial? Is it the circular one with the button in the middle? I guess with Nikons they favour the top LCD over more controls. Would have much preferred getting rid of the LCD for more controls, but I guess the majority of people find it useful for something!

I really like the Fuji way of doing things, with the ISO, Shutter and Exposure all having big dedicated dials on top. I really hope Olympus do something similar for the EM1 - Mark 2.

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 13 Sep 2015, 22:57

Yes, the circular dial on the back functions as another control dial.

I find the top LCD extremely useful, I find the D750's smaller, more limited LCD irritating compared to the D700 and as it's got plenty of hardware controls I wouldn't want to lose it for those. Particularly as the current auto-iso implementation Nikon use is superb as is the high iso, I find the iso control is less important compared to smaller sensored devices.

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Photography Thread

Postby EviL Ras » 14 Sep 2015, 09:50

Yeah, when shooting in program mode, the top dial is aperture, and the bottom wheel is shutter speed. You also have 3 custom buttons (i have one set to activate eye focus detection). Plus a shortcut menu that with 1 press gives me 10 options. I simply move the cursor over the option i want, and spin the control wheel to quickly change those settings.

Granted, additional buttons once you understand cameras would be useful. But i'm finding its not too much work to dive into those settings quickly on the fly!

Oh, and this is the a7s ii ISO test upto 409600...
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
jurassicjim

Photography Thread

Postby jurassicjim » 15 Sep 2015, 19:42

Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post Yes, the circular dial on the back functions as another control dial.

I find the top LCD extremely useful, I find the D750's smaller, more limited LCD irritating compared to the D700 and as it's got plenty of hardware controls I wouldn't want to lose it for those. Particularly as the current auto-iso implementation Nikon use is superb as is the high iso, I find the iso control is less important compared to smaller sensored devices.

John

What do you find useful about the top LCD out of interest John? It only really ever told me things happening that I could see through the viewfinder anyway so I never really got it. Liked having it, just didn't feel I knew why it was there. I guess if you're shooting from a tripod a lot it might be more useful?!

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 16 Sep 2015, 00:59

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post
Johnmcl7 wrote:Source of the post Yes, the circular dial on the back functions as another control dial.

John

What do you find useful about the top LCD out of interest John? It only really ever told me things happening that I could see through the viewfinder anyway so I never really got it. Liked having it, just didn't feel I knew why it was there. I guess if you're shooting from a tripod a lot it might be more useful?!

j

I prefer using the top LCD screen for changing settings rather than the viewfinder or the rear display as it suits larger cameras/lenses, I find it's also extremely useful to be able to tell at a glance what my settings without having to even pick up the camera. Even simple stuff like being able to tell how much power the camera has (or indeed if it has the battery fitted at all) and how many shots are left on a card without even powering up the camera is handy.
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Photography Thread

Postby EviL Ras » 16 Sep 2015, 09:23

I want to pick up the 70-200mm f4 G OSS in hong kong. Its about half the price of the UK. Only thing is, in the words of Andy grey, the a6000 is somewhat hanging out the back of it!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Advocate

Photography Thread

Postby Advocate » 16 Sep 2015, 20:37

Back from Copenhagen.

Imagebw481A0422 by Dylan Harries, on Flickr

Image481A0335 by Dylan Harries, on Flickr

Imagetivoli by Dylan Harries, on Flickr

Imageround tower pano by Dylan Harries, on Flickr

Return to “The Salmon Pond”