Photography Thread

Anything goes here...
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 06 Jul 2016, 13:19

As a late response to your earlier editing question, I agree with Jim's recommendation and I say that as someone that doesn't like Adobe products and was resistant to using raw files. You can shoot raw and jpg simultaneously and that gives you the choice later what you want to do, if you want the quick jpeg file it's there and if you have photos that need a bit more correction then the raw will help you out particularly with a larger sensor like the Canon 600D has. It obviously takes up a lot more memory space but memory cards are so cheap these days it doesn't really matter although it does hurt the burst speed (since it fills up the buffer more quickly) so if you're hammering the camera then it may be worth switching back to jpeg only.

I never found online tutorials I was that keen on and instead bought a book by Scott Kelby which I found very useful as it steps you through different processes and advises on the different settings to use, I found it a handy book to have by my PC and refer to guidance on something I was wanting to do. Previously my attempts at raw processing came out worse than the originals but with this book I quickly got the hang of it and can generally sort a photo in a couple of minutes. It's amazing how much of a difference a little adjustment to the white balance mixed with some highlight recovery and lifting the shadows can make (making an areas that are too bright or too dark look normal).
We are outnumbered by enemy titans, recommend aggressive sustained counterfire
jurassicjim
Master of the Salmon Slap

Photography Thread

Postby jurassicjim » 06 Jul 2016, 22:14

Can we get a link to a raw file to download and have a play around with Matt?

j
matt
Cake
Cake

Photography Thread

Postby matt » 06 Jul 2016, 22:57

Pretty sure I don't have RAW, only Jpegs, they any use to you Jim?

I've never used a DSLR in anger before so I just picked portrait mode or flash off and hoped for the best. After a late night facebook with John I've now realised the mrs (lady) was put off by the 72dpi default in photoshop as she knows she needs 300 dpi when creating new designs. I didn't know to check the printing size to validate what the DPI ratio would be and was facing a pretty adamant opposition so left her to it.

It's a real strange one, once the photo's uploaded to photo box site (super quick less then seconds) they just looked awful. I'm going to look into other sites over the weekend as it's put me right off and no obvious settings to mark as high quality.

I've also loaded up all the photos to facebook now so the sister in law can see them, should mean I can pick out a few of the key pics now rather than trying to surprise them with a big book of everything,
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Photography Thread

Postby EviL Ras » 06 Jul 2016, 23:36

A6000 and i shoot in raw +jpg. But i havent edited any raw files yet!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
jurassicjim

Photography Thread

Postby jurassicjim » 07 Jul 2016, 08:47

Yeah, would like to see some JPEGS, can still do a fair bit of stuff with them, though RAW is ideal!

j
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 08 Jul 2016, 18:20

matt wrote:Source of the post Pretty sure I don't have RAW, only Jpegs, they any use to you Jim?

I've never used a DSLR in anger before so I just picked portrait mode or flash off and hoped for the best. After a late night facebook with John I've now realised the mrs (lady) was put off by the 72dpi default in photoshop as she knows she needs 300 dpi when creating new designs. I didn't know to check the printing size to validate what the DPI ratio would be and was facing a pretty adamant opposition so left her to it.

It's a real strange one, once the photo's uploaded to photo box site (super quick less then seconds) they just looked awful. I'm going to look into other sites over the weekend as it's put me right off and no obvious settings to mark as high quality.

I've also loaded up all the photos to facebook now so the sister in law can see them, should mean I can pick out a few of the key pics now rather than trying to surprise them with a big book of everything,

Can you send me a screenshot of what you're seeing in Photobox? I've got your photo uploaded and it looked ok to me but I'm perhaps not looking in the right place. I couldn't see any upload quality settings in Photobox either although it did seem to at least upload it at the correct resolution, Snapfish used to have a default 'enhancement' setting when uploading which I found ruined photos so I'd double check if uploading there. I've always found the results from Photobox to be good (generally my first choice if money isn't an issue) but I quite agree in not using it if you're not happy with what you're seeing as you don't want to waste a lot of time with a photobook to find the quality is crap.

John
robbo
100th member
100th member

Photography Thread

Postby robbo » 19 Aug 2016, 23:19

I'm still enjoying my Lumia 925 and it's good low light imagery. If there was newer software (and maybe hardware too) to go with the sensor then it could be even better. This shot below was from my Loch Tay a few days ago. With the naked eye I could only see a couple of stars, 4 sec exposure at 800 iso. I know it's not great but still makes me smile and want to get a quality compact camera but I never seem to do so. The thing in the corner is the firepit and smoke from the fire.

WP_20160814_22_31_24_Pro.jpg
Loch Tay stars.
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 23 Nov 2016, 00:19

The new Sony NEX looks pretty good:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-6500

I'm impressed with the action shots although it's difficult to tell if that's just good timing or the AF was really nailing it that well.

John
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Photography Thread

Postby EviL Ras » 23 Nov 2016, 09:35

Yeah, its basically the camera i always wanted. alas with the cost of a small car!

And you STILL cant do selfies! So its not a vlogging cam sadly, as they'd clean up with it if it was!
LUHG
Ghost - MSI GS60 Ghost Pro. 15.6" 1920x1080 LED, i7 4710HQ 2.5 (3.5ghz turbo), 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX870M, 2 x 128gb SSD, 1Tb 7200rpm HDD
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 17 Dec 2016, 04:22

DRP have their full review up:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a6500

Sounded good so I looked into prices and holy crap, it's £1500! I thought the A6300 was pricey at a grand and I'm not quite sure what market this camera is aimed at as its video doesn't seem great with the soft 1080p and overheating issues (my Nex-6 is hobbled by its overheating, the Panasonics can record for hours without issue) and while its PDAF does seem better at that price it's against pro-spec full frame DSLRs that can absolutely smoke the A6500 for AF and IQ.

That said, Sony prices in general seem crazy as the A7RII and the A7SII are a hefty £3000 even though neither are big improvements over their predecessors and the RX1RII is a mind boggling £3,500. I love the output from the Nikon D750's 24MP FF sensor (which is a Sony unit) but would really like a smaller package with it, I had a look at the A7 series when I was at the airport but with their bulky prime lenses they don't feel like they're much of a weight saving over the D750. Also I hadn't realised at the time that the A7mkII doesn't use the D750 sensor, its version is an inferior one for some reason. Second hand prices of the RX1/R mk1's seem to be creeping up rather than down which I guess is because you can't get them new and the mk II's high price puts it out of contention.

I did toy with getting the 10-18mm UWA for the Nex-6 but I've bought three already for different systems and the APS-C sensor is quite a bit behind the D750's sensor. This has all come about because my D750 tipped the scales a little too much when I went away recently so had to take the Nex-6 instead and missed the big Nikon.

With the Mavic unavailable for a while now, I'm giving serious thought to the Nikon 20mm F1.8G - it keeps the D750 fairly compact and I'm thinking it would be a awesome lens to take out at night for some low light shots. Any other thoughts for cameras/lenses I should be considering with compact size and high IQ?

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 17 Dec 2016, 04:26

On a slightly different note, Alfie was unsettled last night and wanted a walk so thought it would just be the usual round the block. However he was very keen to go up a dark, unlit road out of Inverness which is unusual for him as he's not keen on darkness but I went with him as I was curious to see what he was after. He managed a fast pace which he doesn't do either but eventually after nearly three miles I convinced him to turn around and noticed just how bright the moon was as I was casting a distinctive shadow. I fired up the little RX100 and he results were quite strange, it almost looks like daytime:

A while back I'd seen a video shot with the A7s which also had an eerie look and it turned out to be filmed at half one in the morning and entirely lit by moonlight taking advantage of the A7s' tremendous low light ability. Always wanted one after that but I don't think I'd get my money's worth and don't want to invest in another system of lenses.

John
jurassicjim

Photography Thread

Postby jurassicjim » 19 Jun 2017, 10:04

Trying to sort out my camera bag situation.

I have five for various uses, and generally find myself only being happy with one of them.

Decided to try and sell all but one, then buy a normal bag and a couple of different sizes of these.

http://www.tenba.com/uk/products/tools- ... nsert.aspx

If anyone is in the market for second had, but good condition camera bags, let me know...

j
EviL Ras
+1!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!

Photography Thread

Postby EviL Ras » 19 Jun 2017, 11:25

I love my Tenba Switch bag!

Both with my older style of reviewing that tended to be a bit more long winded! Tho interestingly, people seemed to prefer this style over my new quick reviews! So I'm bringing it back with an Aukey blow out review!
LUHG
Born 10/06/14
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Jun 2017, 01:08

jurassicjim wrote:Source of the post Trying to sort out my camera bag situation.

I have five for various uses, and generally find myself only being happy with one of them.

Decided to try and sell all but one, then buy a normal bag and a couple of different sizes of these.

http://www.tenba.com/uk/products/tools- ... nsert.aspx

If anyone is in the market for second had, but good condition camera bags, let me know...

j

You can never have too many camera bags :)

I have a couple of smaller Lowepro camera bags similar to the one in your link that will take either a mirrorless camera and a couple of lenses or a FF DSLR with one lens. Then the Slingshot 100 which is a one handed backpack which will take the FF DSLR and two to three lenses (or the Mavic) and finally a larger backpack that can take a laptop/tablet, a FF DSLR with a big telephoto lens and a mix of other lenses, mirrorless cameras, their lenses or the Mavic.

Generally works well although I'm trying to find a small bag that can take the Mavic as well as the FF DSLR with two straps as the Slingshot doesn't really work with cycling.

John
Johnmcl7
Daemonhunter
Daemonhunter

Photography Thread

Postby Johnmcl7 » 22 Jun 2017, 01:10

Not photography but it is a camera...I've bought a wearable gimbal that allows me to mount a camera on a chest strap, I find compared to putting the camera on the bars or helmet the chest position is a good balance although it's not very smooth particularly on a short travel hardtail:

With the straps on tight the camera didn't look that stable and was bouncing a fair bit so I was expecting the footage not to work that well however I'm absolutely amazed by the footage:

Return to “The Salmon Pond”